Search

Good LIPO Batteries for E-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Good LIPO Batteries for E-maxx

My uncle just picked up a barely used Emaxx.He is in need of some batteries
and i wanted to see what most are using and more inportantly what packs will fit. When searching it seems Max amps always come up but at $160 a pack its scaring him away

also whats the best dual charger the Hyperion 610 ?? is it worth it
to get the dual how long will an ice take to charge a 6000mah lipo ??

thanks for info i race onroad so really am clueless on this

Marcus

I found this is it worth picking up 2 of these ?? what kind of runtime will 2 4000s give you with stock electrics ?

http://www.rcplanet.com/RC_Planet_Li...xp4230lipo.htm
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Get two of these,
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...25C_Car_Lipoly
he will be happy.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can also make a Y adapter and charge both batteries at the same time since they will be used in the same application and drained the same ammount.
set it up at a 14.8v 4000 mah pack when charging.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Hyperion Duo is an awesome charger, and its expensive - but you're basically buying 2 high end chargers built into one charger. You could buy the 0610iNet and charge both at once with it - it has the power (250watts) - you'll need to figure out how to rig a balance connection so both lipos get balanced together.

The prob with running lipo in an Emaxx - the EVX2 esc has no builtin low voltage cutoff (lvc). If you run without lvc and drop batt voltage below 6v, you can damage the lipos. I've read a lot of sad stories about ruining lipos by overdischarging them - folks seem to think they can just stop running and avoid prob - I guess some do, but others don't and overdischarge their expensive lipos.

I have the older 3906 Emaxx, but have fully upgraded drive train to get it BL ready - I get 12-15min running 4000mah NiMH. I'm going to convert it to run a pr of NeuEnergy 2S 5000mah lipos with a Novak 2S smart stop lvc. I expect a 25% increase in runtime in converting to lipo - thats what I've seen with the smaller scales that I've converted.

This is good for some questions and worth a read -

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=423790
Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

You will want a dual charger unless you rig up some sort of harness that will treat two lipo packs as one big 4S pack. Its possible, but I haven't found a manufacturer yet who will make the harness for you do to liability issues.

I had a pretty nice newer style Emaxx with a very nice set of mods on it (powerstoke, RPM, CVDs, etc). For batteries, I went with TrueRC 8000mah 15C lipos . For two batteries I think its about $230 . Depending on the motor you use, you could also do the TrueRC 8000mah 10C lipos which work out to about $160 for a set of 2. This is of course assuming you do what is necessary for the lipos, via cutoff devices, or say a brushless system with cutoff built in. Also the 15C 8000s need you to raise up the battery holdown mounts up slightly. I just useed some plastic spacers, worked great.

You could also try the Trinity Lipro lipos that have an autocutoff built into the packs themselves. The can be found for about $180 for two packs or less.

I would highly recommend you buy matching packs at the same time and only use them together with the E-maxx.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Spend the extra dosh on the Hyperion Duo 610 if you're running electric. It's a nice setup. I regret not buying it. I bought the 250W 610i but wish every day I had bought the Duo. It's an extra $100 well spent.

For batteries, we all have our preferences. I try to find the companies that don't spend so much money on marketing, because as long as the lipo cells are good quality the batteries will be the same.