R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-31-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Perfect Buggy for Conversion

Well perfect if you like Mechanical brakes. I have several brushless conversions and I really like mechanical brakes front and rear. The issue is on most conversions to retain the rear brakes you have to use a big spacer so the motor can clear the rear brake, it works but it puts a lot of stress on the front bearing. After killing a couple of bearings I removed the rear mech brakes from most of my conversions. Then I saw it, the Z-Car, I actually never heard of it before but I checked it out and it has a lot of interesting features, but most importantly it had a rear brake mounted on the rear diff, not on the center diff like most buggies. Plus the fact it was on sale for under $200, I picked one up and started to convert it to brushless. I ordered a mount but I couldn't wait so I made a quickie mount and installed the motor. I made a top plate to hold the brake servo and ESC. Then I ran into a problem that all conversion have, the rear chassis brace gets in the way of the motor limiting your gearing options. With the stock brace and 44T spur the lowest I could go was a 16T pinion. So I decide to relocate the brace to the other side, I made a few mods, used a old Kyosho Inferno brace and it fit perfectly. The build quality is pretty good, and the buggy is really light, once I finish the battery tray I will weight it, but it feels much lighter than my Kyosho buggy. Also, I have a Neu 1515 in there right now but I plan on putting a 1512 in soon, the 1512 is much lighter than the 1515. Just need to finish the battery tray, add the ESC and then I should be able to take it for a test run.

Relocated the rear chassis brace.

[
I have the motor sitting in the car with a 12T pinion, you can see there is plenty of room

Quickie motor mount and top plate.

Brake linkage

Front and rear skids.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Nice project! That brake setup is awesome. Post up when you get it out on the track.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

Pimp dude, I hate mech brakes but that looks tits...
Old 12-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You will have to let us know how the unique rear suspension works. Build looks good!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Tech Master

Some updated pictures of my Z-Car conversion. Added the MMM, rx box, battery tray and some Proline Revolver tires. Took it out for a test run and found that the stock springs are way too soft even with max preload, until I can get some stiffer springs I may replace the shocks with some Kyosho Big Bores.

Here is the buggy the Z-Car is competing agains't, my brushless Kyosho 777 sp2.

Side-by-side
Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the z car ive never even heard of 1 of them either let us know how it dose on the track
superdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Tech Master

I had a chance to take it out on the track this weekend and I must say it performed very well. I have been wheeling Kyosho buggies (Kanai III and 777 SP2) for a while and the Z-Car seems to handle better, I don't have it setup 100% yet and I had some issues dialing in the rear suspension (I changed out the shocks with Kyosho Big Bores still playing with oil wt and springs) but it corners and jumps really well. I took a couple of big hits and it came out with any breakage. The lighter weight overall and especially the drivetrain (thin driveshafts, smaller diffs, milled outdrives, etc.) seemed to allow it to spool up faster.

Also, Amain Hobbies use to carry the Z-Car but stopped because of lack of sales and they were not impressed with the buggy. I don't think they gave the buggy a fair shake so I started a post on the Amain forum and MadRussian and I have been trying to get them to carry them again, especially the parts so we can get some better pricing. Please go over there and post your opinions.
http://forums.amainhobbies.com/index...ic,1746.0.html
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Tech Master

In another forum I mentioned that the shock valve on the stock Z-Car didn't look very effective, because it had holes in it. I have been using shock valves in my Kyosho and Revo PE for a while and decided to mod the Z-Car shocks to incorparate a true valve. I took some Traxxas variable damping valves and added them to the stock Z-Car shocks. The Traxxas valves are solid and block most of the oil flow for true valve action. The small screw used for the stock valve keeps the valve flap from rotating away from the holes. I had to drill out the uncovered hole to adjust the main flow rate (since the two other holes are now covered I needed to increase the main flow) I started by drilling it to 2mm. I can now definetly feel the valve action on the rebound stroke. I like to have more compression damping, and a faster rebound damping, with no valve the damping is basically the same both ways, with a true valve you can adjust the compression damping to suit your needs. As soon as I can find some stiffer springs I will test it out on the track.

Stock Z-Car shock pistons with Traxxas variable valve added. You can see the stock Z-Car valve with holes in it.

Valve, stop screw and a new 2mm hole.

Hard to see but I am checking the valve action with a small pin. Valve open.

Valve closed.