R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

At our races, when ever there is, the electrics that race with nitros always win, that is 2000kvish on 4s. If they would start a Eclass, we could run 5s without people crying about the power...
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
At our races, when ever there is, the electrics that race with nitros always win, that is 2000kvish on 4s. If they would start a Eclass, we could run 5s without people crying about the power...
A fellow commented on another forum to this notion of club races driving the discussion (new class activity)....

(I placed this exact post in three different Forums to maximize discussion for the subject)

The local folks are driving the development of the vehicles and the class, while the folks at ROAR and from the big manufacturers (by way of influence at ROAR) are trying to control it.

I look at it like a "get on the boat or stay at the docks" sort of thing - the cat's out of the bag. The home grown, grass roots hobby folks invented this new race paradigm of big powerful fast electric 1/8 scales, and the folks at Losi Novak etc are welcome to come along for the ride, but ROAR has no place in dictating "how it will play out"

The ROAR sanctioned, and rules driven venues will draw smaller and smaller crowds and participation, while the local club races will get more and more popular. As it should be. Grass roots is always where the spirit of development happens, someone said above or elsewhere, its best left unconstrained and as an open class. This is an "innovation spirit driven" racing game and ROAR's declaration of 4-cell LiPo limits etc is only an example of a stifling regulatory intrusion. Leave that to the folks who like to run "old school" and who like to stay one step behind the front.

- and -

"Need More POWER" Tim Allen

Last edited by HandyRacing; 12-31-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo
HandyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have won a couple of B Mains and one A main this year racing with nitros. There are some extremely fast nitro guys that race here though, so there is no electric domination. There are only four of us who race on a regular basis.

The only advantage I see is the run up on jumps. I just pop over everything even if I didn't get lined up properly for the run up. Very easy to recover from mistakes. However, I still think it comes down to driving skill.

I do think once people figure out how to refine the setups and get used to driving an electric, I think electric will see faster lap times than nitros at some point. In the hands of a pro, the acceleration alone should shave a second off a lap time I would think.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
I have won a couple of B Mains and one A main this year racing with nitros. There are some extremely fast nitro guys that race here though, so there is no electric domination. There are only four of us who race on a regular basis.

The only advantage I see is the run up on jumps. I just pop over everything even if I didn't get lined up properly for the run up. Very easy to recover from mistakes. However, I still think it comes down to driving skill.

I do think once people figure out how to refine the setups and get used to driving an electric, I think electric will see faster lap times than nitros at some point. In the hands of a pro, the acceleration alone should shave a second off a lap time I would think.
That's exactly why I think running these on our small(er) indoor track in the winter is a testament to the driving skills. It makes them work harder to keep all the power and acceleration under control, then they fly over the quad with little or no run-up.

(no one complains that the track is torn up for the 1/10 scale races, its just the nature of the beast)

: )

- and -

Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
I setup my car to run about as fast or slightly faster than a nitro (right around 40-42mph). I use 5s with a lower KV motor. When I first did my conversion at the beginning of the year I was using a 1512 1.5d (3300kv) on 4s and it would absolutely embarrass ANY NITRO on our 200 foot straight. I don't even think they make a .21 capable of hanging with that setup. I am talking make pro drivers with their $500 modded vspecs look like radio shack cars.

Of course, being a new racer I couldn't control it and had to tone it down quite a bit and eventually ended up with a 5s/1700kv setup. Even running a 2.5d on 5s was nice setup though with proper gearing.

It is very easy to overpower these cars. At some point, the power becomes a handicap, not at an advantage.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
That's a schame to, the only reason for going higher voltage is for efficiency, at least in off road. Maybe thats the problem, they know and complain on the power aspect to keep us down.

Just kidding smokers, but i got the go ahead by my new local track owner to use higher voltages. His reason, they don't tell people how many bottles of fuel to bring for a heat or main
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #22
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In both of those videos ...

Why are they only 6 minutes long?

and anyone else notice what's missing?

Without the sound a lot of the excitement gets sucked out of it...for me anyway, and I know I'm not alone.

Bigger cars require a bigger facility, I think they are cool and all, but who's got the money to dish out on renting a even bigger indoor track. Not going to happen on the west coast... With 1/10 electric you can have more track in a tighter space.

There might be a boon at first but I'd be surprised if we didn't see people running back to the more economical options...
Wes Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe View Post

Without the sound a lot of the excitement gets sucked out of it...for me anyway, and I know I'm not alone.

Bigger cars require a bigger facility, I think they are cool and all, but who's got the money to dish out on renting a even bigger indoor track. Not going to happen on the west coast... With 1/10 electric you can have more track in a tighter space.

There might be a boon at first but I'd be surprised if we didn't see people running back to the more economical options...
Sound is overrated IMHO, especially indoors. After racing all day with nitros at our indoor track my ears are ringing. Half the nitro guys are wearing earplugs.

I do think nitro has a soul with noise, but at the end of the day it is also why tracks have to be located out in east bumblestank due to the noise pollution. Personally, I hate having to drive 50 miles to the middle of a cornfield just so residential areas won't get disturbed. My thinking is that the electric 1/8 will bring more people into the hobby so tracks can afford larger spaces and actually locate in an area where people live...

Old 12-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe View Post

As it goes, both those videos, was well as a third from another track not posted above, the events were all electric all day. All five minute qualifiers and mains.

The Washtenaw RC Raceway program includes Novice, Minis, Stadium Trucks, Buggies, Monster Trucks, 1/8 Buggies and Truggies, even the occasional Vintage.... all electric all day with 5 minutes mains. Its just where we happen to hang out so far, as we begin to travel further to other venues we will try and share more bigger and differing action.

(Mostly focusing on brushless 1/8 scale because thats where the fun is IMHO).

Thanks for checking out our vids.

- and -

Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Sound is overrated IMHO, especially indoors. After racing all day with nitros at our indoor track my ears are ringing. Half the nitro guys are wearing earplugs.

I do think nitro has a soul with noise, but at the end of the day it is also why tracks have to be located out in east bumblestank due to the noise pollution. Personally, I hate having to drive 50 miles to the middle of a cornfield just so residential areas won't get disturbed. My thinking is that the electric 1/8 will bring more people into the hobby so tracks can afford larger spaces and actually locate in an area where people live...
As far as furthering my racing video hobby, I prefer to hear the Race Director call the races.....

- and -

Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Hey all: If the 1/8th 4wd e-buggy class realy starts to take of will we see companies offer full kits or aftermarket chassis that are made of lighter carbon fiber or some type of molded plastic/composite or do you still need to use aluminum chassis because of the size and durability factor of 8th buggies? Thanks for the info
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
Hey all: If the 1/8th 4wd e-buggy class realy starts to take of will we see companies offer full kits or aftermarket chassis that are made of lighter carbon fiber or some type of molded plastic/composite or do you still need to use aluminum chassis because of the size and durability factor of 8th buggies? Thanks for the info
I see the RTR already starting with the Losi 8IGHT-E, I think there are a few others now too...

As far as strength, these things take some amazingly hard hits and keep running, with the weight and all it seems the aluminum chassis would be hard to replace with an alternative material.

- and -

Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #28
Tech Regular

I can't believe I got no comments on my Electric Kingdom.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w View Post
I can't believe I got no comments on my Electric Kingdom.
I went and looked, thought it was cool. I also try not to flood a Forum with just my own comments.

Now, if I ever learn how to do soundtracks over the top of my vids.....

(I figure if I post too much on my own original post, it gets in the way of other folks jumping in and expressing themselves, so I try and hang back at least a little)

- and -

Last edited by HandyRacing; 12-31-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyRacing View Post
I went and looked, thought it was cool. I also try not to flood a Forum with just my own comments.

Now, if I ever learn how to do soundtracks over the top of my vids.....
Try using Windows Movie Maker.

It's free and easy.

Just don't use that "screaming meme crap" that most kids put on their videos these days.

Last edited by macr0w; 12-31-2008 at 10:45 AM.
macr0w is offline   Reply With Quote