R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default mah for lrp quantum competition 2

I have an LRP Quantum Copetition 2 esc. The hobby store guy says it can handle a 4000mah LiPo battery. I know what the spec sheet says, but I am just getting back into the sport after a 20 year leave of abscence. The esc comes with the deal, but I really want to go lipo intead of old school.
DaddyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
I have an LRP Quantum Copetition 2 esc. The hobby store guy says it can handle a 4000mah LiPo battery. I know what the spec sheet says, but I am just getting back into the sport after a 20 year leave of abscence. The esc comes with the deal, but I really want to go lipo intead of old school.
I still run an LRP Quantum 2 in buggy. The ESC can handle any 6 cell nimh battery, or 2s lipo (7.4 volt) the mah doesn't matter at all, I've run from GP 3300 nimh up to 5300 lipo with mine. The only thing is there is no low voltage cutoff built in like the newer esc's have. You can add a Novak cutoff.
Hammer Racing
Bike racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1
a buddy of mine runs 4200s and 4600s in his all the time. Zero probs.
JQ Racing THE USA Team
;=- ----D BAng
Kyosho Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Default Time to get it on the track.

Thank y'all very much for the info on the battery and esc. Next question, what is the right and fastest charger for 2s lipo? I know that if I wanna play I gotta pay. I don't wanna make payments though. Do you get what you pay for in a charger?I asked the hobby store guy all this stuff, but some customer was there with him. Any time I asked the salesman a question the customer would start talking too. I didn't learn very much that trip.If anybody has any advice I'm all ears. My buggy is an RC 10 B4 with an LRP quantum competition 2 esc,and 27 turn motor. I don't have anything else,but I would like to start out right. I'm 35 miles from the nearest rc store.
DaddyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the duratrax ice charger is a simple and easy to use charger. i absolutely suggest getting one
action135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:47 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

i recommend the LRP Pulsar 3 Competition Charger. its super reliable and versatile. Charges all kinds of batteries and has a small foot print. i had the Pulsar 2 and it was awesome. i plan to get the Pulsar 3 next.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=59&id=7144
JQ Racing THE USA Team
;=- ----D BAng
Old 12-31-2008, 04:44 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A 27turn motor will not really "use" the amperage available with a Lipo to its full advantage. With your situation, NiMH cells would be enough. But if you do want to add higher-speed down the road, being setup with LiPo now isn't a bad idea. Get a LiPo alarm, though, as the ESC doesn't have a LiPo cutoff and you can ruin a LiPo battery if you run it down too low. read-up on LiPo damages and dangers (or basically, what to avoid) first before jumping into LiPo. NiMh has come a long way and you could be fine with regular 6-cell flat packs and relatively cheap peak chargers such as a Dynamite Prophet Plus. If you do plan on racing, you can upgrade at that time to a $100 charger and LiPo. Bashing and racing costs can vary pretty widely.
jmcvicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Go with the Hyperion EOS 0606i. Great charger in a small package.
CCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcvicker View Post
A 27turn motor will not really "use" the amperage available with a Lipo to its full advantage. With your situation, NiMH cells would be enough. But if you do want to add higher-speed down the road, being setup with LiPo now isn't a bad idea. Get a LiPo alarm, though, as the ESC doesn't have a LiPo cutoff and you can ruin a LiPo battery if you run it down too low. read-up on LiPo damages and dangers (or basically, what to avoid) first before jumping into LiPo. NiMh has come a long way and you could be fine with regular 6-cell flat packs and relatively cheap peak chargers such as a Dynamite Prophet Plus. If you do plan on racing, you can upgrade at that time to a $100 charger and LiPo. Bashing and racing costs can vary pretty widely.

bull crap....go lipo. lipo= higher voltage then nimh. Lipo has virtually no maintenance. No discharger, no cycling, no soldering, no real loss of capacity, consistent power, and you really don't have to worry about the pack crapping out on u like nimh over time.
JQ Racing THE USA Team
;=- ----D BAng