Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric? >

How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric?

How much R&D do you think the big manufacturers are going to invest in electric 1/8 scale? Sure the conversion are great, but we all know these cars were all designed with nitro racing in mind. The drivetrain and chassis layout is all based on nitro. I imagine the new all electric cars will have varying layouts and certainly some kind of setup for quick release batteries. A way to incorporate mechanical braking without the use of a full size servo would be nice too. What else could they design into purpose built electric 1/8 race buggies? And yes, I know the e-8ight is a full electric, but that's just a converted 8ight, not a full on electric design.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I would hope they would seriously put some time in on it with 1/8 electric blowing up like it has.It would bw nice to see them make a 100% race grade electric 1/8,and I mean designed from the ground up 1/8 electric ,not a factory conversion, but a full blown electric chassis layout that uses a slipper/center diff combo unit at the center, re-positions the motor and servo so the layout is perfectly balanced and counters torquesteer.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Caster Fusion, www.casterracingusa.com is a 100% electric 1/8th buggy. it is very balanced and I am able to run 1sec faster lap times with it compared to my Losi conversion.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Check out this thread, http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ld-thread.html
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badassrevo
The Caster Fusion, www.casterracingusa.com is a 100% electric 1/8th buggy. it is very balanced and I am able to run 1sec faster lap times with it compared to my Losi conversion.
But it is still based on a nitro car.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah.. The current electric buggies are based on their nitro counterpart. I'm curious to see when the actually technology will change to suit the electric motors. The drivetrain will most likely change, as well as the layout.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The only ones I've seen so far are the Bomb-Proof Products (Which I have and it's very well built), Mr. C has 2 version of his conversions (I have the V1 for my MBX5T and now I've seen the Matrix Concept one which looks nice. There might be another one coming, but it's been delayed a little waiting for the place that's going to make the CF pieces to answer.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am sure there will be some game changing designs released over the next two years. Right now, it is just easier to convert everything based on a nitro, but as more people get on the wagon, manufacturers are going to invest in an attempt to make themselves market leaders. Also, no one really knows what is needed yet since the cars haven't really been raced competitively at the pro level.

My crystal ball tells me the cars are going to get a little lighter than a nitro as mfg are probably going to move away from the alum chassis. I can see some kind of a thicker, sturdier graphite chassis similar to a 1/10 setup. It wouldn't surprise me to see a belt drive as well off to one side of the car so the battery can go right in the middle.

I don't think there will be any battery change systems in place. Simply not needed. Races are going to be based on reasonable run time. Given the exponential increase in battery technology too, we probably will be able to run 30 minute mains on one charge within two to three years. Hell, I can almost make 30 minutes under race conditions with a cheap 5s 5000 pack 24 minutes is my max.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

they really only need to move some of the parts around to better suit electric and remake the chassis with only the needed holes.
unfortunatly i think edmuakated is right. companies will try to reinvent the wheel even though it is not nessasry. they will attempt to make them as light or lighter than nitros and will cause the price to go up and the durability to go down.
the conversions we already have allow racers to be as fast or faster than a 1/10 scale 4wd buggy on a tight track and outdoors they can really tear it up. so why do some people feel that the current crop of buggys need major improvements to get them to handle better?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kvrc
they really only need to move some of the parts around to better suit electric and remake the chassis with only the needed holes.
unfortunatly i think edmuakated is right. companies will try to reinvent the wheel even though it is not nessasry. they will attempt to make them as light or lighter than nitros and will cause the price to go up and the durability to go down.
the conversions we already have allow racers to be as fast or faster than a 1/10 scale 4wd buggy on a tight track and outdoors they can really tear it up. so why do some people feel that the current crop of buggys need major improvements to get them to handle better?
I agree to some extent. I would like to see an electric chassis possibly made out of graphite with in an integrated tub for the battery and off center diff as i am not sure we need an alum chassis. However, I don't want to sacrifice durability at all.

None of the developments IMHO are going to be exponential in performance. A properly set up conversion in the right hands can run with the best of the nitros right now. The biggest issue is having a solid chassis and proper weight balance. All the other stuff can stay the same IMHO.

My xray 808 kicks ass. All I would like is for the unused nitro holes to be plugged.

We don't need mechanical brakes and I don't think we need slippers either.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

well when it comes to the chassis, if they make one out of graphite it will need to be really beefy to come close to giving the same durability and i bet it would not end up a great deal lighter than an aluminum one. or it will be lighter and fragile. the other option is carbon fiber but the cost and the fact it would get really torn up underneath makes it not worth it.
they handle great and are durable as is so i ask again, why do some people think major changes are needed?
if you want a money pit go and get a 1/10 4wd buggy. even though they are better than a few years ago, they break way too often.
is this what some of you want, a lighter more fragile more expensive car that probably wont handle any better just so you can have some carbon fiber bling.
if roar just would make the min weight 7.5 lbs it would end companies from making fragile cars and everyone could race them hard like they always have without fearing a breakdown all the time.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

+1 my 8lb car is awesome.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

I could see slipper clutches and finer pitch gears for quite running cars, Final drive ratios better suited to larger differences in electric motors, better weight distribution.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kvrc
well when it comes to the chassis, if they make one out of graphite it will need to be really beefy to come close to giving the same durability and i bet it would not end up a great deal lighter than an aluminum one. or it will be lighter and fragile. the other option is carbon fiber but the cost and the fact it would get really torn up underneath makes it not worth it.
they handle great and are durable as is so i ask again, why do some people think major changes are needed?
if you want a money pit go and get a 1/10 4wd buggy. even though they are better than a few years ago, they break way too often.
is this what some of you want, a lighter more fragile more expensive car that probably wont handle any better just so you can have some carbon fiber bling.
if roar just would make the min weight 7.5 lbs it would end companies from making fragile cars and everyone could race them hard like they always have without fearing a breakdown all the time.
It probably will be. I am just curious more than anything.

If it comes at the expense of durability then I don't want it. I view it more like carbon fiber vs aluminum. I was just thinking that it would be neat to see a tub chassis for 1/8 since we don't have to worry about vibration and heat like a nitro engine which is why they use the aluminum.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

I think a chassis/body combo that lends itself to quick battery changes will be key. If this is achieved then 60 minute mains will not be a problem for the e-class. Of course, those benefits are in light of racing nitro cars, of course if everyone is racing electric then the playing field is level. With that being said, quick battery changes are still going to be key even in the electric class, no one wants to fumble with the body, straps, connector in a race frenzy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.