R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Soldering multiple wires to deans plugs

Anyone got any good tricks for this? I have a situation where I need to solder 3 x 14g wires to one tab, and also 2 x 12g wires to another tab.
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Are they all carrying current? Could you splice the wires together farther down the length of one of them, and then just have that one lead go to the tab?

If they are all carrying separate loads of current, you could splice three 14G into a bigger gauge and then connect that one end to the plug.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly6401 View Post
Are they all carrying current? Could you splice the wires together farther down the length of one of them, and then just have that one lead go to the tab?

If they are all carrying separate loads of current, you could splice three 14G into a bigger gauge and then connect that one end to the plug.

this is what you need to do ^^^ i had to do this on my 1:1 ford truck.

you use a rzor blade to skin the wire down the line and intertwin your needed wires into that and heatshrink over it or electrical tape if heat shrink won't fit over. you should be ablet get heatshrink to fit over the majorty anyways. just make sure you dont have lumps of solder....it tears the HS. this way you only have one wire (more than likely 14ga is plenty for all 3 loads) and not a jumble of wires on a tiny plug.
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 AM   #4
Tech Master

The only problem with that, is it's the 3 wires from the ESC to the motor, and if I go to brushless, I need all 3 wires, and they will have to be cut pretty short.

Has anyone done this with a Castle ESC before?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I'm not sure I understand what your trying to do?

Please explain.

In any case I would say that Pauly is correct.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think he wants to use a Deans plug to plug in his brushed/brushless esc to the motor rather than soldering directly.

You could try using two pairs of connectors.
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

i think he is putting a brushed motor on a castle creations brushless esc......first why not just go ahead with a brushless motor, second, best way is to solder main lead to the deans blug, then trip back a little section of insulation on that main wire and solder the other 2 wires into it if you wanna use deans, but best is to just solder wiring direct to motor
ShagNastyEk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Tech Master

Shag and Craig are right, it's for the castle sidewinder ESC to use it for brushed. If it's over a 19 Turn motor, you need to have all 3 wires for the motor going to the negative motor terminal.

The problem is, the Sidewinder has the wires hard-fixed, not on mounting posts that I could easily de-solder. So, if I splice it 1/2 way down one of the wires, and I want ot go to brushless later, I will have to shorten all of the wires to the point where I spliced it. I guess that's not such a big deal though.

I'll give that a go. Thanks.

BTW, I don't want to go brushless because you can't use them for competition in NZ, which I plan to start racing in next year. Also, they are VERY expensive here.