R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default xxx-4 or b44?

im usually a straight losi guy, but i see nothing but b44's on my local track...

i need to know some pro's and con's on the two..... let me know rc tech

if you have one let me know what you think about it also
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy

i dont know anything about the B44 other than it is pretty strong, as for picking a 4WD buggy i have an xx4, i sure you know all about them, but i think they are the best for getting the job done, if you know how to handle it, it can be a beast on the track for sure, and plus if you dont like the three belt drive you can always go to the X-5 conversion to make it a single belt drive with the handling on an xx4 and the acceleration of an xxx4. just my opinion, oh an also i hate the shalf drive, idk know why, but i always feel like someones wires are about to get chewed off
Old 12-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidR

I used to be just like you...

Losi EVERYTHING...

But I've seen the Err of my ways! LOL...

As much as I hate to say it... I drive BOTH Losi and Associated.

Losi Nitro vehicles... (8T and 8B)

Associated Electrics... (FTT4 and FTB44)

But as for your question... The B44 wins HANDS DOWN.

The Losi was constantly broken. That thing is made of glass... Especially the drivetrain.

Now my B44... I LOVE THIS THING! It'll take a beating for a 4WD 1/10 scale buggy. It'll handle any motor combo I wanna stuff in it also. Where as the XXX-4's Belt didn't seem to care for a 3.5R System much.

That's just my take on this subject... Hopefully some others will post their thoughts.
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

If you are stuck on Losi then I would go and get on like oople.com and find a used x-5 for less then 150. However, the smart way to go would be the car that has tons more resources and race support then the losi does today. The b44 w/ 501 front arms is tough as nails.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
im usually a straight losi guy, but i see nothing but b44's on my local track...

i need to know some pro's and con's on the two..... let me know rc tech

if you have one let me know what you think about it also
One of my reasons for buying a B44 was due to parts support. I also like the way AE cars drive compared to Losi cars. Just me though.

There are a couple guys with some fast Losi 4wd's and they really like them but from what I have heard they are alittle fragile compaired to other 4wd's.

Speedtechrc.com / Team Orion USA / Airtronics / Proline / Bartalone Racing / rcinsider.com / 818Designs
What up? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

straight up honest answer - the losi xxx4 will break so much you will hate life! mine was a great handling fast smooth car, but just broke too much. ive heard many good things about the xx4, everyone at our track went to b44's.
smoke229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

no losi unless u are a very good drive they break so much and the parts are more than the b44 ive had a few xxx4's and they break if ya look at them wrong tower has the b44 on the 3 easy pay makes it nice on the wallet plus u can seak the money with out the gf know.
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I haven't had a losi but have to agree with everyone else that the Losi's do seem to break alot more and all our local track is B44's. With that said there is a lot of things I don't like on my B44. I hate the motor plate and how tuff it is to tighten the motor screws. I am not a huge fan of how the slipper goes in and out (probally wouldn't have to worry about much if they fixed the motor plate...)The only way to keep the front wheels from falling off is to run the nylon nuts backwards, The diffs can be a bugger to get to some times. Front shock towers are kinda flimsy for how much the wieght ( I doubled up mine). I guess this is just the 4wd class though...?? 4wd has been known for having to do more work to and maintain.
trickedyfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I had a XXX-4 before I made the switch to my D4. The car was great when everything was runing good. Getting it to stay good was only a question of how long? My biggest gripe was the whole slipper setup, just stupid! I have only driven a B44 a few times and everyone I know who has one loves them, but there's no subsitute for the D4, simply magic!

B44>XXX-4
Old 12-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The B44 is bullet proof compared to the xxx-4.

I raced a few xxx-4's over the years and if you go XXX4, you better stock up on diff covers, hinge pin braces and captures, arms, c-hubs, etc...
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I would get a kyosho !!!

Owns both.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

being a losi guy since the original jrx pro, I have 2 xxx4 buggies, a xxx4 converted to a truck, and other losi 1/10 (although not a big losi 1/8 fan), I must say though, with todays tracks, out of the box, the B44 is a much better buggy. will hold up better, less brakes, easier to get parts for, etc etc. I hate to admit it, but I would suggest the b44 over the xxx4.
ShagNastyEk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StampedinIT

i'll seel u my xxx4g for a good price.. pm me
StampedinIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's really a personal choice... I keep hearing over and over about how the XXX-4 breaks all the time... well.. maybe it's not the car that is causing the breaking.. Mine rarely breaks.. Remember, most folks are racing modified and that will break any car if you crash. The front arms are very tough ever since they added the cross bracing on the graphite version many years ago.

If you talk about breaking, I often hear the grinding of the beveled gears in the B44 quite a bit. I have yet to break a belt or break a gear in my XXX-4.

The B44 and XXX-4 handle very differently. I find that my XXX-4 is far more stable in the air and jumps effortlessly. The B44 is a little wild in the air and requires a lot of attitude adjustment when jumping. That can be something some folks like.

Both cars are quite capable of taking the checkers. I would look at which car will have the best parts availability. If you have a lot of Losi stuff then some parts in you pit box can be shared and that is an advantage. The other thing is that the B44 requires saddle pack batteries and that could run you a lot more money to convert, especially if you run LiPo.

As for newer 4wds, I do like the Kyosho ZX-5 SP verison (FS requires saddle packs), but parts availability really sucks even online.. the car is very stable though.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I've been goin over the same question right now too..I think im sold on the B44. One big help is that AE has lot more support (setup sheets) the last one i could find from losi for xxx4 was in like 2006. I run a 8ight 2.0 and was gona try to be all losi but dont think i can do it on this one
GMS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote