Wiki Posts
Search

Ease of conversion (RC8 or 8ight)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
The 8T has the same layout, just the chassis is longer in overall length. This would only affect conversions like the RCPD where the dirt guard is built into the battery tray. They claim their standard tray conversion will fit both. This

I misspoke about the RCPD conversion for the 8ight, it doesn't replace the whole center bulkhead, just the back piece. On the RC8, both are replaced.
I think I'm going to jump on the Eight-T and convert it. The RC8 would cost me $275 w/ tax so I think it's smart to go with the new eight-T roller.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KR145
chassis layouts are identical. the radio trays bolt right up. chassis is just a little longer.

as far as deciding on a used buggy or a new buggy for almost the same $$$$, go with the new kit.
Thanks.. the RC8 is used, the Losi would be knew. I'm thinking as far as electric conversion goes the Losi is the one to go with. I think an e-truggy would be good fun since I can't drive for crap it'll be much more forgiving.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

New cars are always nice. You don't have to worry about worn gears or cracked parts.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

I asked once before ,tried search, but cannot find the size of the losi battery tray? A little help? I know it is big something like 168mm and 53mm wide which should allow any battery to fit.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, you have the size correct. If the battery in question is the same size or smaller than this one, it will fit:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9864

Dimensions (WxLxH):1.8 x 1.9 x 6.3 in (45.2 x 48 x 160mm)

I posted this response more than once in a couple forums.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Do you know if the Neu motors have issues w/ the Losi kit? I'd like to run a Mamba Monster and a Neu setup. The 8ight might be the way to go.... again just not sure how it stacks up against an FT RC8... now if we were talking 2.0 it wouldn't be questioned at all.
I just put together an 8ight with the team losi conversion and a MMM/2200kv combo. the mamba motor is really a 1515 neu and the 2650 will be a 1512.
i have the 2200 and it bolted right up. all i did was drill out 2 of the threaded holes in the motor to except M4 bolts. they come with M3 threaded holes. the losi mount uses M4 flat heads.
I have no complaints about my 8ight conversion.
My friend has the RC8 his is very happy with it . I think the only negative he said was that he did not have a receiver box like the losi does to protect his receiver. but thats it.
either one would be fun and both have their advantages
good luck
Old 12-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Do you know if the Neu motors have issues w/ the Losi kit? I'd like to run a Mamba Monster and a Neu setup. The 8ight might be the way to go.... again just not sure how it stacks up against an FT RC8... now if we were talking 2.0 it wouldn't be questioned at all.
I would not call it an issue but the notch for the pinion screw on a Neu motor has to be extended to accommodate the 8ight conversion kit. I bought the Losi 8ight kit off eBay a few months back for $325 shipped. The brushless conversion kit from Losi was $80. I have a MMM v3 and a Neu 1512/2D running on 4S Lipo's. I also use a 44T plastic Kyosho gear and a 13T Novak pinion.

I believe the Novak pinion is key to the setup for a Losi 8ight with Losi's conversion kit with a Neu motor. I tried a couple of brands of pinions--including Losi's--and Novak was required to fit properly. Here is a video of how it is working for me . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsxEaW8a5wI
Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Wait, why are you even considering Losi 8ight 1.0 roller instead of 2.0?

The only reason to get 1.0 is if you want to put the kit yourself... right?

Am I missing something?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shurcooL
Wait, why are you even considering Losi 8ight 1.0 roller instead of 2.0?

The only reason to get 1.0 is if you want to put the kit yourself... right?

Am I missing something?
You can get an 8ight-T roller for $275... 2.0 is 2x that price. I watched the best in the state doing things with an 8ight the other night that I'd never be able to do. It's certainly enough car/truck for me.

BTW.. I bought BOTH. I have the RC8 and the 8ight-T, well I got the RC8 tonight, the 8ight-T will be here next week.

Here's the RC8 I'll be using for the e-conversion... http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ew-ft-rc8.html
Old 12-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Right, I guess the price is another benefit of going for 1.0.

But technologically, isn't the 2.0 completely superior to 1.0?

Cuz I sold my 1.0 to get a 2.0 for an electric conversion... :P
Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Right, I guess the price is another benefit of going for 1.0.

Sure. The 2.0 is going to be a little more refined. Not too much work to gradually upgrade the original to the 2.0. Not sure if the 2.0 comes in kit form or just the race roller. No matter--the Losi brushless conversion kit will fit either.

I personally like the idea that Losi has a body designed to fit and cool the electronics for the 1.0 chassis. The 2.0 is a but longer and purportedly more stable but no 8ight-e 2.0 body to accommodate.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The 2.0 is a but longer and purportedly more stable but no 8ight-e 2.0 body to accommodate.
No need. The additional length is minimal, less than 5 mm. So just change the body post hole slightly.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

depends on how you are going to use your 8ight.
the 2.0 (longer more stable) is a better buggy for outdoor big fast tracks
the 1.0 seams to have a quicker steering. The 1.0 is still a great indoor buggy.
just an fyi
Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tdeal823
the 1.0 seams to have a quicker steering. The 1.0 is still a great indoor buggy.
just an fyi
Let's stay on topic regarding the ease of conversion of the RC8 and 8ight. We can discuss the 8ight and the 2.0 as well, but not from a "driving" standpoint. Disclaimer: I have no driving skill whatsoever so I wouldn't benefit from paying extra for the 2.0.

Right now I'm working out my conversion plan for both the RC8 and the 8ight-T. If you have links and info on either of these conversions please post up.

Good source of RC8 conversion info.. http://www.carsports.com/earls18scaleopenrc8.html
Old 12-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tdeal823
just an fyi
Well, as others have said, the length increase is minimal, so I think it's still up to the driver and how he handles it. But the other improvements are nice.

Anyway, I just wanted to put a 2.0 together from a kit, but I can't do that until one is avaliable. When/if it is, I'll consider getting it.

I kinda liked the original 8ight 1.0 body, non e- version. The e-8ight body seemed to make the buggy too tall and fat. I thought there was enough space for the battery with the nitro 1.0 body anyway. But I guess the nitro 2.0 body is too low for an electric convo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.