R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror
Default RC8 Brushless conversion

Does anyone know how many RC8 conversion kits there are out there? And if it's not too much to ask, which one is preferred?

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Does anyone know how many RC8 conversion kits there are out there? And if it's not too much to ask, which one is preferred?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ASC80930
BSS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

www.rc-monster.com has two different conversions
www.rcproductdesigns.com
www.impaktrc.com
Team Associated has their own conversion now.

It is up to you to decide, there are similarities and differences among all the kits listed above.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The ones above are all the ones I know of as well. They are all solid tested conversions. Can't go wrong with any of them.
jnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

I saw the monster rc conversion comes with a whole new aluminum chassis. I think that might overkill unless it's just not possible to fit a 3S or 4S battery on the stock chassis. I don't believe the Team AE conversion has a new chassis. I'll keep doing my homework. In the meantime, if any one has an RC8 conversion please chime in and let me know what you think of it.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Tech Regular

THE AE KIT IS A NEW BATTERY TRAY AND STEERING SERVO TRAY AND ESC MOUNT CHECK IT OUT ON RC10.COM LOOKS LIKE THE WAY TO GO TO ME,CLEAN LAY OUT AND TO TO PRICEY. IT ALSO CIMES WITH 2 SPUR'S ALSO IT WILL ALSO FIT THE TRUGGY AND SC8.
charly71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
I saw the monster rc conversion comes with a whole new aluminum chassis. I think that might overkill unless it's just not possible to fit a 3S or 4S battery on the stock chassis. I don't believe the Team AE conversion has a new chassis. I'll keep doing my homework. In the meantime, if any one has an RC8 conversion please chime in and let me know what you think of it.

I used an RC Product Designs kit on my RC8.. Very well balanced and incredible craftsmanship, and you can fit a ton of different battery sizes and cell counts. Good buy if you go with those guys.

The AE kit looks good, but you are severely limited on batteries that will fit in the tray, AE just wants you to run their Reedy packs pretty much. haha.

/ Nemo Racing USA /Agama / Pro-line Racing / VP Powermaster / RC Shox / Triton RC / Dutch Oven Designs / Paradise Air / TIX RD /
Racerx336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx336 View Post
I used an RC Product Designs kit on my RC8.. Very well balanced and incredible craftsmanship. Good buy if you go with those guys.
Which battery are you running? Does that kit have a new chassis or use the existing chassis? What motor/ESC are you running. I am thinking of a Mamba Monster w/ a Neu 1.5D.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
Tech Master

I picked up the RC8 today, so I'm ready to start researching the conversion thoroughly. I'm not sure if I want to go the route of the conversion that has a new chassis, or just use the RCPD or Team AE conversion that uses the stock chassis. I think for me, the easier route w/ the stock chassis is the way to go.

I noticed the Teckno RC systems use a nitro like clutch... is this a preferred system?

Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
www.rc-monster.com has two different conversions
www.rcproductdesigns.com
www.impaktrc.com
Team Associated has their own conversion now.

It is up to you to decide, there are similarities and differences among all the kits listed above.
Adding the Novak kit to the list so I don't forget to look at it as well.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #11
Tech Master

Are you coming from a nitro background, or an electric background? I personally don't like the clutch type systems. I like to have to power be right there when I want it and when I need it. It allows me to get through timing sections more consistently than some of the nitro drivers because I know where the power is with my car. The RCPD battery tray can fit tons of batteries. I had a 1.5 D and it was just way too much. Got too hot, and was too hard on speed controls. Switch down to something in the 1700-2000kv range and run it on 4s. You can go to the 1600-1700kv range and run 5s also, but batteries become a little more expensive. The most economical setup would be the MMM, Medusa 60mm 2000kv motor, and a Zippy H 5000 4s pack.

The ESC you can get for $130, the Motor for $120, and 1 battery pack for $80. That is a killer deal!

As far as the conversion kit goes, the RCPD kit is the best put together kit and works with a bunch of different components. The fact that it has a bolt on mount for the ESC with fan cooling vents in the plate make it better on your ESC too. Take a hard look at that kit, I think you will end up with it if you do.

/ Nemo Racing USA /Agama / Pro-line Racing / VP Powermaster / RC Shox / Triton RC / Dutch Oven Designs / Paradise Air / TIX RD /
Old 12-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Where did you buy a MMM for 130.00 . I happened to get mine via live cashback for 99.00 shipped but normal price is 159.00. Also where do you buy the medusa motors?
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:16 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx336 View Post
Are you coming from a nitro background, or an electric background? I personally don't like the clutch type systems. I like to have to power be right there when I want it and when I need it. It allows me to get through timing sections more consistently than some of the nitro drivers because I know where the power is with my car. The RCPD battery tray can fit tons of batteries. I had a 1.5 D and it was just way too much. Got too hot, and was too hard on speed controls. Switch down to something in the 1700-2000kv range and run it on 4s. You can go to the 1600-1700kv range and run 5s also, but batteries become a little more expensive. The most economical setup would be the MMM, Medusa 60mm 2000kv motor, and a Zippy H 5000 4s pack.

The ESC you can get for $130, the Motor for $120, and 1 battery pack for $80. That is a killer deal!

As far as the conversion kit goes, the RCPD kit is the best put together kit and works with a bunch of different components. The fact that it has a bolt on mount for the ESC with fan cooling vents in the plate make it better on your ESC too. Take a hard look at that kit, I think you will end up with it if you do.
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking forward to getting this build under way. A local guy showed me this site, good info on here. http://www.carsports.com/earls18scaleopenrc8.html

Old 12-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
Tech Master

www.medusaproducts.com is where you can get the Medusa motors. You want one of the 36x60 series motors.

On the ESC, I have not personally run the MMM. I have seen too many of the early ones fail and it just didn't seem up to it for me. Castle is a great company though, and their customer support is second to none. They are getting them figured out and they will be great for 1/8th electric. I always stuck to the trusty old Mamba Max. Put some vent holes in the case, eliminate the switch, run and external BEC or reciever pack, and bolt it to the RCPD top mount with 2 fans and you have an almost bulletproof setup.

I have since started running the Losi ESC combo in my 8ight E and it feels pretty darn good.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Reworked my RC8 conversion a little bit, here is a link to the pics. Thought it would be good to post it here in the RC8 thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5222915-post13062.html
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote