Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
Hm... so you think my current packs are at fault then?

I was hoping that wasnt the issue... because they dont seem to have any performance loss. Just the swelling that dissipated after this weekends racing...
check and see how many mah you used after a run. And check the voltage per cell after a run as well. You may be draining them to much
Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Good batteries should never swell. If your packs are puffing this is the sign you're exceeding they're ratings. This can be from running them lower than their recommended low voltage range or their "C" Rating isn't what they claim it is.

Understand that with the Pro4 and T8 motors we recommend at MINIMUM 30c packs.
I am noticing my Gens Ace 40c hardcase 5000mah 2 cells are puffing after using them in my Losi (RX8 + 4600 pro 4). Whats the story on puffing, at what point is it too much? I've heard of pretty much all lipos swelling at some point, even my Thunder Power 5300 2 cell is a little puffy.

Have some turnigy nano-techs (6600mah 65c 2 cells) coming so will be interesting to see how they go.

Also of note, I ran the Losi SCTE up and down my street earlier this morning and motor temp came off at 145f with a 14t pinion, do motors plateau at a certain temp or incrementally just keep getting hotter?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Did you radio calibrate after the update? If not you may not be getting full throttle.

If you did, a setting is off.
Yeah I put the F&R a 100% I just put the 212 back in.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Suteki
I am noticing my Gens Ace 40c hardcase 5000mah 2 cells are puffing after using them in my Losi (RX8 + 4600 pro 4). Whats the story on puffing, at what point is it too much? I've heard of pretty much all lipos swelling at some point, even my Thunder Power 5300 2 cell is a little puffy.

Have some turnigy nano-techs (6600mah 65c 2 cells) coming so will be interesting to see how they go.

Also of note, I ran the Losi SCTE up and down my street earlier this morning and motor temp came off at 145f with a 14t pinion, do motors plateau at a certain temp or incrementally just keep getting hotter?
my Orion packs have never swelled up. You gotta look at the mah your putting back into your packs. I storage my packs after each race weekend and have 1 pack per heat etc. Try and not go below 3.80v per cell while running. So if you have a 5 min heat race and you put say 1500mah back in that means in a 10 min main its gonna be 3000mah taken out of the pack. Now if a bearing seizes up or a drive line problem you pack is gonna drain even faster.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Suteki
Generally speaking, yes. 14t is a bit tall unless you're on a very large track, fyi.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nmdesertracer
my Orion packs have never swelled up. You gotta look at the mah your putting back into your packs. I storage my packs after each race weekend and have 1 pack per heat etc. Try and not go below 3.80v per cell while running. So if you have a 5 min heat race and you put say 1500mah back in that means in a 10 min main its gonna be 3000mah taken out of the pack. Now if a bearing seizes up or a drive line problem you pack is gonna drain even faster.
I'm not trying to start any kind of argument here but if he doesn't go below 3.8v per cell he probably wont have enough run time to finish a 5 minute qualifier. The cells are rated at 3.7v and tekin default shutoff is 3v per cell. I run mine at 3.2v per cell and have zero problems. Good run time and no puffing and that's using turnagy chepo packs. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

you might be right! im running 5500 orion 90c batteries. usually im at 3.83v at 10 min.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My RX8 and T8 ran flawless this weekend. Ambient air temp was a little higher than it had been in previous weeks (~15 degrees). The ESC never exceeded 3 leds for temp and the motor never exceeded 140 degrees, same ESC profile and gear, almost identical traction conditions (i should add that i rebuilt the truggy and all bearings were clean and free with no driveline binding).

My packs (2 2s 5000ma 45c) however puffed up quite a bit in the 6 minute quals and got decently fat during the 10 minute main (swole up enough to push the battery tray into the spur gear during the run). Looking at my packs now (charging for storage) they have almost returned to normal size with a little bit of puffiness visible.

I have enough runtime to complete two quals each with two or three practice laps prior, and then my packs take about 3800ma to recharge (4s sync charge) after that. Im considering going to less mah per pack, and to shorty packs to be better able to balance the chassis... would anyone advise against this? Suggestions/questions? Id like to have this sorted out so when i buy my buggy i have a game plan in mind... to avoid trial and error.
My first post. ^^^ I thought it covered all the bases?

I dont have a run time issue. I can run over 20 minutes of consistent 1.38-1.40s laps on these same packs if i wanted to. I dont run them too low... i raised my cutoff above 4s after i read a previous post on this thread. I usually pull the truggy after i feel the punch fade anyways, no sense in turning laps with a faded trigger feel. This was the first time the temporary swelling happened.

Because this is the only pair of packs i have for the truggy, am i abusing them by using them as often as i do in a race day? I never had problems in TC running LiPo's repeatedly during a race day...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

My first post. ^^^ I thought it covered all the bases?

I dont have a run time issue. I can run over 20 minutes of consistent 1.38-1.40s laps on these same packs if i wanted to. I dont run them too low... i raised my cutoff above 4s after i read a previous post on this thread. I usually pull the truggy after i feel the punch fade anyways, no sense in turning laps with a faded trigger feel. This was the first time the temporary swelling happened.

Because this is the only pair of packs i have for the truggy, am i abusing them by using them as often as i do in a race day? I never had problems in TC running LiPo's repeatedly during a race day...
How many cycles would you say you have on those packs? It might be that they're just getting worn if you know what I mean.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by viper0463
How many cycles would you say you have on those packs? It might be that they're just getting worn if you know what I mean.
Well that is entirely possible... and another reason i was asking. I have put a lot of run time on them the past two months... and they were used when i got them. If i were to count cycles since i have owned them... including storage between uses... right around 46. I wouldnt know total usage before my ownership, but i do know they were used in mod TC.

Isnt the average cycle life over 300? I charge at 6.5 amps, every charge is balance charged on my Hyperion Duo, so i would think any real stress would be from run time.... or no?

Kinda heading off topic there and that isnt my goal... i just wanna be sure the next set of packs i buy are reasonable for my goals and intentions for the truggy (and soon to be buggy). I intend to snag a 2250 truggy motor, and picked up a 1900 for the buggy.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nmdesertracer
Ran the 223 in my 1/8th buggy and sc 4x4! felt weak compared to the 212 on the bottom end. Was pretty disappointed.
Obv something is wrong. or your just not used to how much smoother it is. i've already ran it in my tc car and it was fantastic. ran it just today in my eco and very smooth rolling. i love it
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Generally speaking, yes. 14t is a bit tall unless you're on a very large track, fyi.
in my losi sce i got a 19tooth.. and the motor runs approx 155 after 8mins
Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

Well that is entirely possible... and another reason i was asking. I have put a lot of run time on them the past two months... and they were used when i got them. If i were to count cycles since i have owned them... including storage between uses... right around 46. I wouldnt know total usage before my ownership, but i do know they were used in mod TC.

Isnt the average cycle life over 300? I charge at 6.5 amps, every charge is balance charged on my Hyperion Duo, so i would think any real stress would be from run time.... or no?

Kinda heading off topic there and that isnt my goal... i just wanna be sure the next set of packs i buy are reasonable for my goals and intentions for the truggy (and soon to be buggy). I intend to snag a 2250 truggy motor, and picked up a 1900 for the buggy.

6.5 amps seems kinda high to me. And there really isn't any average amount of cycles but you should get well into the 100's if there isn't any problems. I do suggest you ask around about the amperage you are charging at. I may be wrong but as I said before 6.5 seems high to me.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 267 (98%+)

If your packs are 6500mah 6.5 amps would be 1C. If they are 5000mah 5.0 amps is 1C. Some batteries can handle 2C so 10amps with a 5000mah pack however 1C is always recommended for longevity of a Lipo pack. Hope this makes since and clarifies things for you!! Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions!!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

i checked the tekin site and i couldn't find the team driver's setups for 223 with the pro4 4600 on a SCTE. are they the same as 212?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.