Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Emmeth
Hi Randy, thanks for your answer,

I recognize that Tekin warranty period is 120 days and I am not within them but, I kindly ask if an exception could be done considering that my ESC has been manufactured with a factory issue that you fixed in the actual ESC second generation, changing the faulty ESC with different internal and external modifications. I have bought a 1900 Tekin combo early this year.

It simply died by his own with no water, no moisture, no smells, no fire, no shorts etc.. and it has only 8 months of life and only 2 races done, cause you know that during the winter there is no races at all and that's too cold to use it on open air in a stressing way for sure.

It has always been used with its fan and it never crossed 65° in its entire life, believe me or not. Analysing my ESC this should be easily proofed.

Thanks in advance

Similar issue to yours. My RX8 seems to have died over the weekend during some open practice setting up the mbx6t. Seemed like it was fine for the first pack (first time out since Vegas 208 and revised setup). Worked well throughout the first pack but had an odd shutdown - restart late in the pack. didn't think much of it assuming it was the LVC. Second pack started ok but ran into similar issues in about the first 5-7min. Pulled the truck off to check things over and everything looked good. Temps were all in line. No prob. Went back to the original pack thinking batt issue but same thing. Didn't get one lap down.

AND just like you, OF COURSE it's just outta warranty Bought it in March. Still the older 4-hole case. Total run time on the motor/esc/truck is 5-6 packs. Took a while to get the whole deal together and sorted so just starting to get the truck out running/tuned. Not faulting Tekin at all. I know stuff happens.

We'll see what happens... Hoping.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

GUYS, TEKIN WILL take care of you and your ESC's....Dont worry about the date you bought it, IF its faulty Tekin AKA Ty WILL take care of you NO question's asked.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
. All my race setups, which are plenty fast, do not need a fan, ever.
This is my point entirely. You should have a setup that doens't require the fan. In general the Rx8 doesn't need the fan. But we can't control what the end user is going to do with it. Maybe he's bashing on the grass with a 6s 2650 setup. The fan is a wear item. No mfg is warrantying their fans. In a standard race configuration properly geared the fan is not required.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
This is my point entirely. You should have a setup that doens't require the fan. In general the Rx8 doesn't need the fan. But we can't control what the end user is going to do with it. Maybe he's bashing on the grass with a 6s 2650 setup. The fan is a wear item. No mfg is warrantying their fans. In a standard race configuration properly geared the fan is not required.
On the subject of correct use, what gearing is in the ball park for a 8ight 2.0 buggy running 6S with a 1350 T8? I ask as the fan does come on during a race, not to worried about that. But along with me already questioning gearing (pinion to small) I ask. It's currently at 13/45. Also PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

This can be a few things from the sounds of it. This can be a DSM brown out. Usually when this happens you'll get no steering for a very BRIEF second. This is caused by your DSM system resetting during a hard throttle shot. Because it reboots we may have to re arm or wait for a proper nuetral signal before we allow forward motion. If it needs re arming we MUST see nuetral which of course is not what ANYONE would think to let the car do, sit at nuetral for a few seconds.

This can be cured by running a receiver cap. Spektrum makes them as do others. Our TT3520 caps work great for this.

If your Voltage Cutoff is setup up higher understand that you MAY be hitting VC under a load. This is especially true with some of the lower quality packs. If you can recreate this issue often for a test try turning your VC off and seeing if the car runs longer than the 7 minutes. If so you've got a weak/soft pack.
In my case the problem can not be caused by a brown out, I already have a capacitor on the receiver (same spec as the Spektrum one). Currently I have my cutoff set at approx 3.48V per cell but I have also tried lower values down to 3.2V with the same results. I now my new high quality packs (DesirePower V6 2S 45C 5000mA and SpeedPower 2S 45C 5300mAh) are extremely well balanced, when running them down to about 3.7V per cell they never differ more than 0.00-0.02 between the cells.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WildManDriving
On the subject of correct use, what gearing is in the ball park for a 8ight 2.0 buggy running 6S with a 1350 T8? I ask as the fan does come on during a race, not to worried about that. But along with me already questioning gearing (pinion to small) I ask. It's currently at 13/45. Also PM.
Your gearing is correct when your feel your speed on the track is adequate, and the temp on the motor and ESC are still within proper limits.

Your gearing will vary depending on the track and the driver. Change your pinion, run 3-5 minutes and check the temps. If temps are too high, drop a tooth or timing. In some cases you may need to add 1 tooth on the pinion. Don't gear for a certain temp, gear for proper speed on the track and the temps will probably take care of themselves.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

I run 6S 1400 in a Mugen buggy at 15/44 with no heat issues on the ESC of motor. I feel your under geared.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

what are the temps I should be looking for esc/motor(RX8/T8-1700kv)

whats a good starting setup for a Losi 2.0e for a small/tight/high traction layout? 45t spur is stock on my car.......I currently have 15/16t pinions....

I re-did the wiring on my setup as I bought it used from a local, is 12ga. sufficient?

thanks for any insight guys!

p.s. - I asked same Q on s-grid too.....thanks Tekin

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 09-15-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Team Tekin

For an average sized track you're undergeared. Because you're overall rpm is 34,020 and what I run for example is 31,920 the gearing will be nearly indentical : 45/15-16.

I run 4s 1900 most of the time, you're 6s 1350 so they should be very close on gearing. Try the gearing change. The fan may come on during the run but take it out and run for 12 minutes, see how many led's are lit.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
The fans are expendable and are a part that wears out. The best thing to do is tune your setup to where you do not RELY on the fan to keep the ESC cool. All my race setups, which are plenty fast, do not need a fan, ever.

My point is that yes we include it because some guys that are running a 2650 or 2250 strapped (which makes no sense BTW) will need it. 1/8 is abusive and hard on all the equipment in our buggies and truggies, so you can run a setup that is too hot, does not make you any faster and stock up on fans, or you can run a setup that is plenty fast for racing, will make you a better driver and not rely on the fan to keep your ESC below thermal.

I understand what you guys are saying…but what was expressed by Dr. Evil was not the intent of warranty of the fan or that the fan wears out, gearing, motor size, bashing or racing. The specific point was to make a fan/cage that is more durable. By what has been expressed it appears the blades breaking are due to the small size/thin material and/or the blades deflecting and striking the cage that houses the fan on your ESC. That’s was his specific point..nothing more.

I took it one further by what was expressed as a fix because I just find it odd why Tekin would include a fan and/or program the software to turn the fan on even at 4 leds.

At the end of the day I’m not going to beat a dead horse….As I said in my OP..I love your products and find your service top notch..

So please dont missunderstand the intent/point of my comments...
Old 09-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

What is the difference between the old design RX8 and the new design RX8? If you have an old design rx8 that is running fine, is there a need to upgrade to the new design? Is there an upgrade program?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

For an average sized track you're undergeared. Because you're overall rpm is 34,020 and what I run for example is 31,920 the gearing will be nearly indentical : 45/15-16.

I run 4s 1900 most of the time, you're 6s 1350 so they should be very close on gearing. Try the gearing change. The fan may come on during the run but take it out and run for 12 minutes, see how many led's are lit.

Randy, what gearing do you recommend for 1350/6s set-up on a MBX6T? Stock spur is a 46t. I used a 15 and 16t and my temps are hitting 180 after a whole pack run. This is on an indoor, small clay track. The esc runs cool and the battery is warm. Am I undergeared?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
Randy, what gearing do you recommend for 1350/6s set-up on a MBX6T? Stock spur is a 46t. I used a 15 and 16t and my temps are hitting 180 after a whole pack run. This is on an indoor, small clay track. The esc runs cool and the battery is warm. Am I undergeared?
How many C is your battery. And how many mah?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
How many C is your battery. And how many mah?

Forgot about that. Hyperion 3300 45C.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

gearing Q running losi 2.0 tekin combo 2050 on a highbite medium sized track 4500mah 35c need to make it to 7min. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.