Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread >

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Hotwire doesn't currently run on OS X. I am a mac man too and I just dual boot with boot camp and install windows.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

yea, i figured... i have a separate PC laptop for the fam, i'll guess i'll have to use that. but it would be good if this software can support Mac. jus like lipo is the future for RC, Mac is the future for Computers
Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 6s only

Unless your track has limitations why run 4s or 5s? I need a couple setups with 1300-1400KV motors for racing starting in April. Should I wait to see if Tekin gets lower KV motors out or is it REALLY on the back burner?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by teeforb
does or will your software support OS X? I'm an Mac Man, so it would be nice if i can use my mac book...

also, what are the availability in motor KV? and where there be a difference in motor selection for a buggy and truggy? for example, i run neu 1512 for buggy and 1515 for truggy. will you guys have similar sizes? i am running a 5S setup, so around the 1800KV is what im looking for.

How will your motors compare to Neu? Will you guys offer something new or different than Neu? Also, How is the drag of your motors?

Will the BEC be programmable? i think that would be a nice feature too.

sorry, lots of questions...
Great questions we enjoy answering.

No Mac support at this point, but being considered.

We are starting with 1700kv to 2600kv for the motors for use with 4S and 5S lipo. We like the 2000kv and 2200kv for most 4s setups. We plan to go down to 1300kv for 6s.

Yes we will be offering a 4030 for the buggy and a 4038 for the truggy. These are very similar in size to the 1512 and 1515 motors, but a little longer due to the sensors. We are planning a 1700kv in both sizes.

The Neu motors are pretty good and the basic 4pole 12 slot design that many are settling on. We expect our motors to perform as well and of course are always working towards making them better.

We reduced the drag (cog torque) of our motors significantly. Many people think that a motor that is hard to turn with your fingers is good and strong. This is a misperception. Strong cog torque can be a side effect of other good design features, but itself is a negative. It is a drag that must be overcome to start the motor and a drag brake while we are running the motor. Engineers go to great lengths to reduce this drag in most cases. It is always a trade off in high performance designs. So far for us they Rip!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

cancel

Last edited by WALZ; 01-15-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=TeamTekin;5297243]Great questions we enjoy answering.

We are starting with 1700kv to 2600kv for the motors for use with 4S and 5S lipo. We like the 2000kv and 2200kv for most 4s setups. We plan to go down to 1300kv for 6s.

QUOTE]

Do you have a conservative guess for release date on a 30 and 38 in the 1300Kv range? Checkbook is sitting next to me If late March is too early is there anything you can say about 4s to make it sound more enticing?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Team Tekin

We can really wind any of them once we are rolling. That is why we are here is to see what people want and decide which versions to offer. It appears there is a fair number of 5s and 6s users currently and we should probably offer them in March.

Roar settled on 4S and since it is typically harder on speedos than 5s or 6s we use it for our testing. Although there are no ROAR races this year and most planned races are allowing 4s to 6s without hardcases, we still think it is probably going to be the most common. We will sell what ever people want since the market decides ultimately. Personal favorite is probably 5S, but for dual battery cars this is awkward. 6S is slow to charge on most common chargers and pushing some other limits in the circuits. 4S allows use of 2 1/10 packs now that they are sturdy enough. It is just easy and common, they all work.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here comes my ignorance, please be kind,

Could someone explain to me this:
2s/3s/4s/5s/6s is this only refering to voltage i.e 2s=7.4 3s=8.6 4s=11.1 etc.

and why lower KV for larger " s " ? Due to high voltage?

can I not run two ( maxamps 2s 6000mah lipos) with any motor? or is that not a good idea?

in 8th scale electric, do you need the 11Volts x 2 to make it work?

help me understand ,
Thanks!

Trout
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

this should help. i created an excel sheet for motor vs cells. basically, you want to stay between 30K and 35K rpm. as u can see, the higher the voltage, the lower the KV u want to stay withing the 30 to 35K range.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
We can really wind any of them once we are rolling. That is why we are here is to see what people want and decide which versions to offer. It appears there is a fair number of 5s and 6s users currently and we should probably offer them in March.

Roar settled on 4S and since it is typically harder on speedos than 5s or 6s we use it for our testing. Although there are no ROAR races this year and most planned races are allowing 4s to 6s without hardcases, we still think it is probably going to be the most common. We will sell what ever people want since the market decides ultimately. Personal favorite is probably 5S, but for dual battery cars this is awkward. 6S is slow to charge on most common chargers and pushing some other limits in the circuits. 4S allows use of 2 1/10 packs now that they are sturdy enough. It is just easy and common, they all work.
I totally agree 5s is a good spectrum to be in. I am getting over 23 minutes with my buggy: 5S 4000mah lipo with a neu 1512 1Y (1850KV). I have no thermal issues at all.

it looks like you guys have been really listening to customer demands which!!! you guys are considering macs, you have a good spectrum of KV motors, you provide different sizes for buggy and truggy, you guys are really looking into the drag. all good stuff!!!

exactly, what are the benefits of sensored motors vs the sensorless motors? My castle creation MMM and Neu motors has zero cogging issues. I'm just playing devils advocate here, but what would sensored motors buy me that I do not already have with my sensorless setup?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
this should help. i created an excel sheet for motor vs cells. basically, you want to stay between 30K and 35K rpm. as u can see, the higher the voltage, the lower the KV u want to stay withing the 30 to 35K range.

thank you very much that helps alot!

so if I run 2s packs it will just be lower RPM's correct? and if I were jsut bashing around it doesnt matter does it?

Will a 5000MAH 4s last as long as a 5000MAH 2s, and vice versa?

so what your telling me is get two ( 2) 5000MAH 4s lipo packs and be done with it.

thanks
Trout
Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
The price will be very competitive with current products that are available, but offer more

The motors are 40mm finned cans with solder tabs and look just like our 1/10 motors, but bigger with 5mm shafts.

All Tekin products plug directly into the Hotwire and have their own interface that pops up. In fact we have added new features to all the products in the next release. We are always listening to user feedback and making improvements.
Thank you! I was hoping you would say yes to the motor fan Although it's not needed in a lot of cases in some cases it may. The more powerful Lipos get over time the greater increase there is for run time. Regardless of efficiency of one's setup the motor at some point is subject to heat the longer it stays running.

As for the Hotwire, are there any plans for Hotwire to support smaller types devices such as Windows Mobile, Symbian etc..?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Trout,

the mAH rating is a measure of the capacity of the battery, or how long it will run. In theory, 2 5000mAH packs will last the same amount of time. In actuality, you may find higher voltage pack seems to last longer because your not pulling full throttle as often.

the 2S/3S/4S tells how many 3.7v lipo batteries are wired in series. 2S is 2 batteries in series 3.7v x 2 = 7.4v (equal to a 6 cell pack). 3S is 3 batteries in series 3.7v x 3 = 11.1v and so forth. In theory, the higher the battery voltage, the faster the vehicle will be.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Team Tekin

Sensorless is very good with these motors compared to the 1/10 spec motors, but still not always perfect and consistent. We are just covering our bases and making sure there are No compromises. Why not since you do not have to use them and it is certainly not worse than sensorless for starting. Also allows a lot more starting torque if you are against something or in a pile. We still prefer sensorless once moving, but having both makes sure we are never limited in any application. This speedo can actually be used for extreme 1/10 and sensored 2.5 turns or 9000kv sensorless motors as well as push a large crawler where sensors are a must. Pretty versatile and a nice size for a lot of applications.

Great chart and very applicable to our motors as well. I like the ranges per motor.

Power is IV so as V goes up I goes down... In theory. Roughly a 4s 5000mah is equal to a 5s 4000mah or a 6s 3300mah when set up equal and delivering the same power. Other factors play in such as lower KV motors tend to have more turns and are easier on things in general. In general we like voltage and hate current.

We are considering some mobile devices, but in most cases those are not simply open and welcome to all. If it can run windows and has USB we have a good shot.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Great update Jim. If you can get it out for your expected release date, I will be very interested in this. Should be just in enough time for me to get a system and a new 8th scale for the start of the season.

Then it will just be what kv will I end up with. Right now I think I will run 5 or 6s. I ran 5s in my buggy and truggy last year. Currently run 6s with a neu 1515 3d in an e-revo now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.