Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread >

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Reply

Old 12-24-2008, 04:57 AM
  #16  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (12)
 
badassrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Roaming Shores, Ohio
Posts: 3,324
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Fred Perkins View Post
I see that it is SENSORED. Who makes a SENSORED motor?
Novak
badassrevo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:11 AM
  #17  
Tech Regular
 
macr0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlotte N.C.
Posts: 493
Default

I'm very happy with my MMMv3's but I'll be curious to see how this one works out.
macr0w is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 AM
  #18  
Tech Apprentice
 
Zken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 77
Default

We spent alot of time Q'd into the 1/8th scale scene and want to provide a ESC that get its done with out a blink...The RX8 was the result. It runs with the same D2 technology as the RS when used with a sensored motor...Sensored starts in 1/8 scale sure is cool to see...butter smooth.

We are using renders due to the fact that all the housings I have inhouse right now are rapid proto typing housings....they are expensive aaand made out of a white material...not the best for pictures heh heh. That housing render you see is the final one...it is whats being used for the molding proccess as we speak. Besides I am no guru with a camera but I LOVE to draw 3d and photoshop/ai muahaaha

The board layouts are done (have been minus some revisions here and there). This is a very realistic time frame for us...giving us time for packaging, housings and other aspects of getting this to market all wrapped up.

We are making the motors...I hoped to have pics up when we went live with this page but instead focused on getting the RX8 page out first. Our motors are coming right along and yes they are sensored. We have protos laying all over in different states of the design phase...I'll get you all some pictures soon after the holidays =).

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday experience!!
Zken is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:16 AM
  #19  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
lutach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kearny, NJ
Posts: 806
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I hope you guys makes motors with a more realistic Kv for 6S use. What about a HV version that can handle up to 12S lipos? A nice low Kv motor for it would be good too.
lutach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:22 AM
  #20  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (110)
 
tschenck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Willow Spring NC
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zken View Post
The board layouts are done (have been minus some revisions here and there). This is a very realistic time frame for us...giving us time for packaging, housings and other aspects of getting this to market all wrapped up.

We are making the motors...I hoped to have pics up when we went live with this page but instead focused on getting the RX8 page out first. Our motors are coming right along and yes they are sensored. We have protos laying all over in different states of the design phase...I'll get you all some pictures soon after the holidays =).

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday experience!!
Very nice. A real sensored system for 8th scale. I might just have to sell my neu/mamba monster setup or this might give me an excuse to do another 8th scale buggy.

One thing though. Can you give us and estimated street price for the esc, motor or combo?
tschenck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:56 AM
  #21  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 477
Default

man i sure hope the esc and motors are gonna be out in time for spring racing season i loved my tekin 10th scale stuff and gotta have it for 8th scale. do you think this stuff will be out bye spring? i know we had to wait awhile for the rs pro and senserd motors.
charly71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:59 AM
  #22  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (96)
 
whitrzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 5,808
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

just think, the R1 is $200, this is better....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by whitrzac; 12-24-2008 at 10:21 AM.
whitrzac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 AM
  #23  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,258
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zken View Post
We spent alot of time Q'd into the 1/8th scale scene and want to provide a ESC that get its done with out a blink...The RX8 was the result. It runs with the same D2 technology as the RS when used with a sensored motor...Sensored starts in 1/8 scale sure is cool to see...butter smooth.

We are using renders due to the fact that all the housings I have inhouse right now are rapid proto typing housings....they are expensive aaand made out of a white material...not the best for pictures heh heh. That housing render you see is the final one...it is whats being used for the molding proccess as we speak. Besides I am no guru with a camera but I LOVE to draw 3d and photoshop/ai muahaaha

The board layouts are done (have been minus some revisions here and there). This is a very realistic time frame for us...giving us time for packaging, housings and other aspects of getting this to market all wrapped up.

We are making the motors...I hoped to have pics up when we went live with this page but instead focused on getting the RX8 page out first. Our motors are coming right along and yes they are sensored. We have protos laying all over in different states of the design phase...I'll get you all some pictures soon after the holidays =).

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday experience!!
Hi,

there were big anticipation for the Monster Mamba Max just as there a lot of anticipation for the RX8. As a 1/8th scale ESC manufacturer, what are you going to do to ensure that the RX8 won't have tons of issues as the Monster when it first came out. They are now on their 3rd revision. Have you guys thought about this? If so, what are you guys doing to prevent this from happening on your first release?

Thanks!!!
teeforb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:56 AM
  #24  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (12)
 
badassrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Roaming Shores, Ohio
Posts: 3,324
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

It was actually tested under racing conditions in 1/8th scale truggy and buggy not a monster truck like Castle did.
Even the Novak can run a MT.
badassrevo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 AM
  #25  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (30)
 
tdeal823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West, Ohio
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

sensored 1/8 scale stuff

I can't wait to see what this does to 1/8
I'm happy with my MMM but I want to see this tekin stuff in person.
Can't wait to see it run.
Good job TEKIN
tdeal823 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:31 AM
  #26  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I will definitely be first in line to pick it up with the motor.

What are the advantages of having solder posts on the ESC? I was told at i-hobby the motors would have solder tabs which I like since the windings can get stressed under race conditions which I like, but unsure about why the need for solder posts on the esc. I like my MMM bullets. Easy to use...
Edumakated is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 AM
  #27  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,258
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

what would a sensored setup do to 1/8th scale? the MMM is perfect (at least for me) as it is being unsensored. jus curious...
teeforb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 AM
  #28  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
what would a sensored setup do to 1/8th scale? the MMM is perfect (at least for me) as it is being unsensored. jus curious...
It would be super smooth at start. You could feather the throttle with ZERO cogging. Sensored basically means that the ESC knowns where the rotor is at all times, so you don't get that cogging effect. Sensorless uses and algorithm of some sort to estimate the rotor location which means it will occassionally cog at start. The MMM is very smooth at start, but you will get some very slight cogging occassionally, particularly if you spin out and the car happens to start rolling backwards.
Edumakated is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:21 AM
  #29  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (30)
 
tdeal823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West, Ohio
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
why the need for solder posts on the esc. I like my MMM bullets. Easy to use...
YES +1 here.
the heat that some people put into a solder joint is crazy.
If tekin would do a motor bullet connector like the MMM it would eliminate the heat transfer into the ESC from the "Solder Novice"

Bullets would save alot of over heated circuit board returns
tdeal823 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
  #30  
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,068
Default

We did not use the fan in most of our testing. It will not be needed except in extreme setups and high outdoor temps. It makes such a huge difference for overall power handling that it is worth having to make sure we can handle any setup.

We like solder post so we can put the wires at any angle and get an ultra tight install. The motor also has solder tabs. They solder pretty easy with 12awg, but it is definitely not for newbs with an anvil size solder iron. Fortunately you only have to do a good job once. This is pro level stuff for true hobbiest. We will offer a more drop and go version that requires no soldering at some point as well. Maybe immediately if a lot of people really want it.

We can build the unit with 4mm female plugs on the esc. We do not have room for larger plugs and we do not think they are needed. For race setups the 4mm plugs and 12awg wire are plenty. The case is designed for either.

Boat motor? Gee thanks. Put a pile of fets on a pcb and see what shape it is. We think it is pretty sleek overall and will be the only esc that fits nicely in many of the cars.

Yes we test everything very aggressively on our own tracks. We also have a very good race team that verifies everything before the public release. Team drivers will have systems before the release so we are not using customers as guinea pigs.

So far we have not had a single serious issue to deal with since it is really a track proven RSpro in a different shape. Our typical setups are about 15min to 18min run time on a 5000mah 4S. We have pushed it to less than 12min run time with no motor or speedo issues. 5s and 6s were also no problem.

Well thought out and Engineered products for specific applications. Fit, form, function and great customer service at a very competitive price.

HoHoHo
Jim Campbell
Tekin President
Tekin Prez is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service