Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Now that Lipo is getting more popular are 4wd buggies going to change? >

Now that Lipo is getting more popular are 4wd buggies going to change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now that Lipo is getting more popular are 4wd buggies going to change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

And you have to watch the racing from 87 to get an idea of what these cars were like then - totally different world!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJLvSa9CcA
wow that kind of track for today's cars would be boring. There were no big jumps or anything on that track.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eds24
Yzracer: The thing is that all of them where designed to accomidate heavier Nimh batteries. They where designed to be balanced and handle with Nimh batteries. With lipos being lighter and people adding weight so that there cars will feel like they have Nimh's in them I'm wondering if a configuaration like the original BJ4 would be more balanced and handle better with lipo

Your right about being built for Nimh, however on my D4, I haven't put a single piece of weight anywhere on the car with my SMC saddle lipo's and that car flat out deliver's!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eds24
As far as balance and performance goes with lipo are the buggies more balanced with a stick lipo or saddle lipo? Does the saddle pack config hold any advantages with a lipo?

I ask all this becuase I am still designing and working on my 1/10th 4wd Stadium Truck project. I'm pretty sure I will be making it capable with both a stick pack and saddle. But I'm just trying to figue out if I should buy a saddle or a stick pack.
I run my TrakPower saddle pack in my B44 with no weight or anything added in, the car handles excellent (actually I think better than w/ the 6 cell NiMh) and weighs a little bit less. I think the saddle orientation will probably stay in competition vehicles because it really offers great weight distribution.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge

.....I think the last 4wd car to win a world championship with stick packs was the Cat XL in '87 - back then the cells were similar weight to LiPo are now, so maybe this is the design of the future....
The last stick pack 4wd car to win a Worlds was teh Losi xxx4 in 2003 in Florida.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The new light weight LiPo batteries and horsepower of Brushless motors/pinion sizes/motor positioning require manufacturers to re design/rebalance their cars. I think that the first manufacturer to do this on a mass scale will reap the benefits. Darwin made a note that the quickest species to adapt appear to be most likely to survive. It's obvious that brushless/LiPo are here to stay. Rebalancing is inevitable.