R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Constructing Jumps for Carpet Track

I've been doing some searching here on rctech and can't find much info on what's the best way to make jumps for a carpet track.

The goal is to be able to run 1/10th scale on road and 1/10th scale off road electric (with foam tires or stock Slash) on the same race day.

Anyone aware of an existing thread I should be in?
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Tech Adept

go to the mini/micro forum then go into 1/18th scale offroad/onroad national thread and ask there.

Team Associated/ Seidel Racing/ Team Scream Racing/ Nike 6.0/ RC Madness
b4.1 novak gtb/ velociti 6.5r
b44.1 lrp sxx tc spec v2/ velociti 5.5r
TNS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
I've been doing some searching here on rctech and can't find much info on what's the best way to make jumps for a carpet track.

The goal is to be able to run 1/10th scale on road and 1/10th scale off road electric (with foam tires or stock Slash) on the same race day.

Anyone aware of an existing thread I should be in?
Mate I was on instructables.com once and saw a post about making cardboard furniture. Basically they cut cardboard cross sections with a few strategically positioned 1/2 inch holes and stacked them on edge all together like a loaf of sliced bread then put some threaded rod through the whole stack (throught the holes) and bolted it together. Makes a superbly stong unit to any shape you want. I have thought about doing such a project for some warehouse racing.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Make the frames out of wood and then the faces out of masonite because its flexable and you can add some curve to the ramps instead of just a flat board. this will make the cars transition onto the ramps better. This will also make your landings more forgiving because you can have rounded tops on the jumps. Make sure you put carpet on the ramps too, it doesn't even have to be that fancy R/C carpet, just any short pile office carpet should do. I raced at a track that didn't have carpet on their wood jumps and it was hard because you always had to square up to the jumps otherwise your car would get sideways off the jumps and bad things would happen in the air. You could also put foam on the landing ramps and then put the carpet over it to make it even more forgiving if you come up short. For this you would want an open cell foam kind of like tire foam. A good idea to keep your nice racing carpet from getting torn up by people wrecking and having their upper shock bolts tear into the carpet is to have the carpet on the landing extend a few feet past the end of the landing ramp. These are just a few ideas I have had thinking about opening the same kind of track. If you have any more ?'s feel free to P.M. me or post on here. I'm really good at coming up with solutions to these kind of problems.
Good Luck,
Chris
Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We make the frames out of pine or similar hardwood, then screw flex-ply over the faces to give a curved ramp. Works very well and can make just about any shape.

I'll get photos if you like?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post

TIP...DON'T even think about running 10th off road with jumps, unless you are OK with your track being damaged.

Few years ago when Action Hobbies (www.actionhobbieskingsville.com) started races, they had 10th off road with jumps. The first race, one of the cars has a loose screw under the front bulkhead. Everytime it landed, it gouged the carpet on the track. Was never raced again.

You will never be able to police all the cars to see if they have loose screws.

Just letting you know.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 on not running off road on onroad carpet. loose screws will tear the carpet. And after a few nose plants the carpet will start to tear also.
Bubba Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
Tech Elite

The carpet is 10+ years old, in great shape and was inexpensive to purchase. I thought placing more carpet on landing areas would solve any issues with possible landing tears and other possible mishaps.

Bern, I know you have had off road tracks that were all carpet years ago.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I race at marcca every weekend, and thats all they do is 1/10 carpet trucks, you just make chassis protector manditory, and have a extra pice of carpet at the end of the larger jumps

http://marcca.com/
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

give Donnie at Jtec a call. I know they use jumps at the loft.
ckimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Tech Elite

nice looking facility!

http://marcca.com/marccaindoor08dsc_0197.jpg
Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
Tech Regular

wish we had something indoor here! I think you should try out the pine frame with flex ply top. That's roughly how they build those big skate ramps. You can get a good shape so you don't just have an angle launch, you can make it kick the car up a bit more forcing air control...
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

at marcca we had a couple skate board guys built yours
team c racing tm2sc team c racing ts4 pro
airtronics mt4 with grid rc drop down wheel
gone banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

check out www.fastcats.ca They have the best indoor carpet track around. Check their forum and maybe they can answer some questions. Their jumps are perfect. also youtube fastcats to see some videos.

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote