R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Help! Chronic Slash problems.

Today was a day of frustration for me at the track. I got my Slash mid October and a VXL about a month ago. Up until today I have only broken one rear axle carrier and popped one plastic shock cap. I replaced all of the plastic shock caps with the aluminium ones and replaced the broken carrier with an RPM one. Today I broke the stock carrier and TWO RPM carriers which everyone at the track was really surprised to hear that I broke even one RPM one. On top of that I bent 3 rear axles. I have looked all over the rear to see if there is anything out of the ordinary but couldnt see aything that might be contributing to the problem. The only thing I could see that may have caused it was one of my rear shocks the shaft is very slightly bent. The bent axles were on both sides so I dont think that that could be the reason. I didnt drive it any harder than I usually do, it is an indoor track so its not because it is cold, the track is a tight track so you really cant get it going that fast, and I only run a 2s lipo.
Adrenalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Sounds to me like you had a bad day. I have broken a rear hub but only when I got T boned by another slash at top speed. I would guess luck just wasnt on your side today.
Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

The break that much stuff in a day the truck would of had some good sized wrecks. I race at in indoor track and they have a pretty technical layout with some good sized air. When you miss the landing ramps and land at funny angles things tend to break and especially when it is cold as that just adds to the problem.

Are track area is fairly cold but the pits are closed off and warm. Breakage is normally a rear carrier, shock caps, and bent axle or shock shaft depending on how hard the crash was. All in all for the way the guys beat their Slashs at are track it is amazing that they don't all break every run. Lets say they are not too gentle on them.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

I am hoping it was just a bad day for me. Do you think it will be worth it to get the aluminium carriers? I hear different things from diff people. Some swear by them and some say it is just for bling since they dont flex and just bend.
Adrenalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #5

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalyn View Post
I am hoping it was just a bad day for me. Do you think it will be worth it to get the aluminium carriers? I hear different things from diff people. Some swear by them and some say it is just for bling since they dont flex and just bend.
Something else will just break in its place.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Traxxas uses their own special proprietary al dente treatment process on all the metal parts
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

something has to give.. keep that in mind when you go putting aluminum stuff on cars
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i have seen a couple rpm rear hubs break. also it seems the rear axel stub are weak and bend easily after some mild hits. i gave up replacing the untill they get real bad. shock shafts getting bent is also common. slash racing can be hard on the trucks and as stated above im suprised you dont see more broken trucks more often. we have alot of new/novice racers running slash at our track and they BEAT them up pretty good