R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Race Spec....does it actually mean anything?

The Associated B4 and B4RS buggies are both sold at my LHS, the RS version is 165 rtr while the team kit is 115. Adding together all the price from the esc, servo's, recievers, motor and handset included in the RS version, this would come to more than the different in price of the two kits.
So, is the RS ACTUALLY better? Why would they sell a better buggy for less?
Im intending on getting a B4 for bashing but which one to get is another problem.
Limerick91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

the b4rs is a great way to get started , the electronics will be fine for bashing , the kits both team and factory are more for racing were most people want to use better electronics than come with a rtr , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray3619 View Post
the b4rs is a great way to get started , the electronics will be fine for bashing , the kits both team and factory are more for racing were most people want to use better electronics than come with a rtr , ray
Oh right, so is the race spec actually a step down from the team kit?
Limerick91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Tech Elite

When ever I buy an Associated RTR, usually the first thing that gose is the receiver/transmitter. Don't get me wrong, Associated makes some great RCs, but some of their electronics are somewhat wanting. For some reason the transmitter will make the truck go in reverse when its been set to go forward. Some with the servo controls. And once I put my own receiver in it I no longer have that problem. Go with the kit, you'll end up having to buy a transmitter and receiver anyway.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

fox is sooo right. this kid and the track has a t4 team kit and has a gtb 17.5, lipo and a rtr radio and servo. piece of crap! never centered. aftery every race it spazzes and the radio wont work and the servo doesnt turn and the truck is a mess with that radio.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

TX/RX in every RTR sucks, I wish companies sold pre-built kits w/o the servo's and radio equipment. Unfortunately you end up with a large collection of AM radio's. Get a radio with a 10+ model memory so you can have one radio for all cars. The Team AE stuff is great, all parts are interchangeable between the base model and the factory team kit, so you can upgrade the important bits and leave the less expensive often broken kits from the base or team kit on your car.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
TX/RX in every RTR sucks, I wish companies sold pre-built kits w/o the servo's and radio equipment. Unfortunately you end up with a large collection of AM radio's. Get a radio with a 10+ model memory so you can have one radio for all cars. The Team AE stuff is great, all parts are interchangeable between the base model and the factory team kit, so you can upgrade the important bits and leave the less expensive often broken kits from the base or team kit on your car.
thats called a race roller...losi makes some and i think ae makes one. kits have a purpose to be unassembled, to learn your car so when it breaks you can fix it. and the part of the hobby too. always wrenching on your car.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by not home View Post
thats called a race roller...losi makes some and i think ae makes one. kits have a purpose to be unassembled, to learn your car so when it breaks you can fix it. and the part of the hobby too. always wrenching on your car.

I don't need to build my road car to understand how to fix it. These things aren't rocket science after all. Setup is more difficult than building it.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Tech Elite

the fact that building the cars is part of the rc hobby