R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb Traxxas Transmission question and Battery question

OK here is the scoop. I have a new in box stampede coming to me. According to the specs on traxxas.com the stock XL5 stampede and stock VXL Brushless both come with a Magnum 272 transmission so the tranny in both are the same? I have read a TON of forums people complaining of the "plastic gears" breaking when upgrading to brushless with XL-5 setup. Does that mean they maybe upgraded trannys in the newest stampede's, or is there something I am missing?

The reason I ask. I am thinking of going with a 9.4VNiMH 4500MAH http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Premium-9-6V-N...1%7C240%3A1318 battery on the Stock stampede XL-5.. am I stupid or will it work? Traxxas web site says its capable of 9.6v stock. OR Should I go with a 7 Cell 8.4V

ALSO does the brand of battery really matter? I am looking at...
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Premium-9-6V-N...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NiMH-8-4V-4500...1%7C240%3A1318

Or should I get a better name brand battery back for more money? AND depending on the tranny question, I may go brushless sometime.
Mud4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

HI,

About the question about the trans, yes they are both called a Magnum 272 trans, but the gears in the VXL are upgraded with steel idler gears and a steel outer main gear on the differential. So yes the XL-5 has a plastic idler gear(which is still known to fail even without the brushless and the VXL steel one only is $3), and a plastic outer diff gear which i wouldnt replace unless you wanted to go crazy fast(65mph+) brushless.

That battery in your first Ebay link is probably a OK battery, but that battery wont physically fit in a Stampede. It's TOO LONG. the only kind of NiMH batteries that will fit in a Stampede are a 6 cell regular stick pack or a 7 cell hump pack(where they take the 7th cell and put it on top of the others not putting it on the end of the pack)

Yes the brand of battery matters to an extent...but alot of times cells will come from the same people will just have a different label on them because a different person cycled those cells hence it has their label on them(same as the alkaline AA batteries with the local drug store brand on them may have still gone thru duracell or energizer or whatever, but since they sold them to the drug store the drug store puts their name on them).

The third link you put there, for the Tenergy packs, that is a good name and good brand of cells, but again those packs arent going to fit in your stampede but i know if you do a little more digging on the Tenergy stuff you will find packs from them that will fit in a Stampede and perform well.

Hope this helps
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I heard it is possible to shave some of the plastic up front to avoid using a hump back?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

BUMP is the shaving possible to fit a flat 7CELL?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

I guess it all depends on how much you want to modify...if you shaved off up front you would have to find a different place for the Reciever.

I've never seen a flat 7cell in a Stampede
Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

All those batteries you linked are not good. Stick with good cells like EP, Energ, IB, and GP cells. Stay away from Tenegy and no name batteries (you linked them). A good 3300 will beat a cheap 4500 battery. I would get a 6 cell battery as if you got a 7 cell battery the plastic gears would strip and the motor would burn up and if you got an 8 cell battery the gears would strip, motor burn up, and a very good chance of burning up the esc. For a battery I would reccomend going to towerhobbies.com to buy batteries. Look at the Trinity Reference 3600s as they are only $23 and you can get 2 of 3 of them (you have to wait an hour after a run to start charging the same battery to let it cool down), a Orion Rocketpack (great power but if you only get 1 you will be waiting alot while your battery cools down/charging, Duratrax batteries are OK but I would really look into the Trinity ones. Remember....6 cell, 7 cell if in dier need of more power but be ready to get the VXL gears and new motors (a good one is $40). That is why the chassis is made for a 6 cell battery.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
For a battery I would reccomend going to towerhobbies.com to buy batteries.
OR you could support your local hobby shop
Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I do believe Traxxas recently changed the XL5 models to include the steel idler gear and rear camber links like the VXL.. might want to check the exploded view at Traxxas.com to confirm that.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers View Post
OR you could support your local hobby shop
Nah....My LHS sucks. I would rather them have them go down in flames!!!

Couple examples: "Traxxas fuel is the best because they spend the most money on R&D and you can always lean it out."
Me: How many people were running Traxxas at the Worlds?
Him: I guess they didnt have the time to test out this amazing fuel!!
Me: GOODBYE!!!!

another, Me: my ball diff is griity. Do you have any suggestions?
Him: This is the SMOOTHEST diff I have EVER felt!!!! Remember, it is metal grinding/rubbing on metal.
Me: GOODBYE!!!!

ok 1 more
I was looking at an 8ight,
Employee: I had one of those before. They were alot of fun but they never got clean!
Me: Im guessing you didnt use WD-40 after stripping the electronics/engine?
Him: I tried that once, but I hated the smell of it!!!
Me: GOODBYE!!!!!!!

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

No, the XL-5 versions still come with the standard internal trans parts and standard camber links

I'm sorry to hear how your LHS is if you would rather support online....but maybe if you did support them(i know you're only one person but still) they could get more competent people in the store, could sell more, and have the possibilities of opening up a track or things like that
Old 12-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
Tech Master

The only parts they carry is Traxxas. There was another LHS nearby but it closed and now my LHS dont want to take care of a track.

They are also WAY overpriced. I mean $40 for 20% Traxxxas!!? Guess they can do whatever they want because they are the only hobby shop in the valley but I dont care because I will never go there again.

EDIT: I think it is kinda sad when I know more than employees that work there.

Last edited by Chris__RC; 12-19-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: forgot something