R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Getting Tires off the rims tip? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/260772-getting-tires-off-rims-tip.html)

everyjuangohome 12-17-2008 11:10 AM

Getting Tires off the rims tip?

So last night I wanted to mount a new set of tires up on my rims. Wow what a pain in the ass. The old tires were glued so wicked to the rims. I hear you could boil the tires in water. I tried that. Still no success. So what are the tips to getting the worn out tires off your rims?

Jason Pelletier 12-17-2008 11:20 AM

get a metal tray, fill it with about a half inch of acetone. Put wheels on something to hold them above the acetone. cover the top and let the fumes to the work.

everyjuangohome 12-17-2008 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by RB FIVE (Post 5178498)
get a metal tray, fill it with about a half inch of acetone. Put wheels on something to hold them above the acetone. cover the top and let the fumes to the work.

Will do.That sounds logical. Thanks

JR007 12-17-2008 11:31 AM

^^ Make sure the space is well ventillated too!

Boiling works for plastic rims (Tamiya etc), actone works for nylon rims (Proline etc)

I usually cut off 99% of the old tyre, then soak them in acetone for a few hours each side in about 1/2 inch of acetone. Then you just wipe the excess off. Real easy, just be careful with acetone. It's no biggie if it gets on your hands, just wash them (it's only nail polish remover), and don't sniff the stuff!

d4man 12-17-2008 11:37 AM

I have had luck boiling rims and soaking them in acetone. If the tires are shot, I would soak the rims/tires in acetone for a couple hours and they should fall off. Boiling requires time and patience. I have had to boil my tires/rims at times for an hour or more. It burns your finger tips when you push the tire off the rims. It's a PITA, but the only option if you want to save the tire/wheel (example: when your foam dies and the tire/rim is still good)

everyjuangohome 12-17-2008 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by JR007 (Post 5178522)
^^ Make sure the space is well ventillated too!

Boiling works for plastic rims (Tamiya etc), actone works for nylon rims (Proline etc)

I usually cut off 99% of the old tyre, then soak them in acetone for a few hours each side in about 1/2 inch of acetone. Then you just wipe the excess off. Real easy, just be careful with acetone. It's no biggie if it gets on your hands, just wash them (it's only nail polish remover), and don't sniff the stuff!

LOL. I own a sign shop. So I am pretty familiar with acetone. Use it everyday :)

aeRayls 12-17-2008 11:49 AM

JUst bake 'em in the oven at like 250. Works great.

johnnyboy 12-17-2008 12:06 PM

I usually acetone them, I am going to try the baking method though this week on my Losi Pink slick tires so I can re-use them as acetone shrinks that compound.

M.Cartwright 12-17-2008 12:15 PM

like Adam said, Bake them. It cracks the CA, careful not too hot. Works good if you don't have a wife...it can smell a bit. The best part about baking is that the rubber is able to re-used. This is a must with indoor rubber where the insert breaks down and you wish to re-use the tire.

johnnyboy 12-17-2008 12:23 PM

They way my wife cooks....she won't notice the burning smell! HAHAHAHAHA

Good thing she doesn't come anywhere near these RC sites. Yeah, I have a couple of pink slicks I want to re-use with new foams.

jb7778 12-17-2008 03:37 PM

I usually preheat the oven to 375 and then shut it off. Put the tires in on a pizza pan. Let the oven cool down with them in there (about 30-35 minutes) Don't keep checking in there and stuff cause thats where the terrible fumes come from. Quickly take the tray out of the oven and get it out of the house!! Let them cool the rest of the way outside or in the garage. They will pull right off the wheel and I have pulled this off without the wife even noticing a time or two...

Jason Pelletier 12-17-2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jb7778 (Post 5179373)
I usually preheat the oven to 375 and then shut it off. Put the tires in on a pizza pan. Let the oven cool down with them in there (about 30-35 minutes) Don't keep checking in there and stuff cause thats where the terrible fumes come from. Quickly take the tray out of the oven and get it out of the house!! Let them cool the rest of the way outside or in the garage. They will pull right off the wheel and I have pulled this off without the wife even noticing a time or two...

Stealth operation !!!:lol:

Wild Cherry 12-17-2008 04:27 PM

Ummm... Maybe the tire comes off the rim with heat but you are still stuck with glue on the rim ...:(

Acetone does not have this problem, rims will be clean & ready to use after a soak over night ....:cool:

jb7778 12-17-2008 04:58 PM

You're right I usually do it to reuse the tire and just mount them with new foam and wheels....

Wild Cherry 12-17-2008 05:24 PM

Just use a #11 blade , trim one side of tire off rim , replace foam and glue ...

faster & easier...