R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
smc is from elkton, VA usa.
Is the location where the build the packs in Elkton VA or just the offices, where is the "factory"?

I don't know, just asking. If they actually build them in the good ole' USA good for them.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Well I hope my kids get to race their slashs.

My dog and cat sleep in the same room, although begrudgingly I believe.

I will take into account that smc is an American company when I look to purchase some lipos. But the batteries are still made in the same place. Maybe literally.
huskerdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
One other thing I noticed....just to poke some people a little more

IS THAT A TRAXXAS PLUG ON THAT RACE PACK!!!!! WHATS A TRAXXAS PLUG DOING ON A RACE PACK!!!!! THEY DON'T MAKE RACE CARS THEY JUST MAKE BASHERS!!!! OMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END...THE SKY IS FALLING...DOGS AND CATS SLEAPING TOGETHER

All in good fun of course.
oh god the yea racing pack has a molex connector so whats your point.

they actually come with deans.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #49
Tech Addict

If they built them in the USA I would probably pay twice as much for them, but I'm in the minority.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Quote:
oh god the yea racing pack has a molex connector so whats your point.

they actually come with deans.
Actually my packs came with shrink tube on the ends and nothing.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #51
Tech Regular

Bump,

I'm sure you will be happy with the Yeah racing pack. As I stated before, they seem to perform really well and are competitive. The fast guy in Slash @ Bumps and Jumps runs them and he is very hard to beat. I just can't tell you how they hold up over time.

To All,

For SMC to cycle our packs against packs from other companies will do nothing more than start controversy. We'll leave that up to the magazines! We put our proof right on the package when you buy the pack. Our #'s are true and we welcome anyone to differ. We don't come on here and bash or downplay other companies and their products as we are not here to run others out of business but to make the best products possible for the buyer, basher and racer. Unfortunately some companies claim false C rating just to keep up. This not only hurts the buyer, but hurts the company as the internet can either make or break you. This hobby has been declining over the past few years and the most important thing right now is for everyone to work together to bring R/C to mainstream and bring as many new people into the hobby as possible. HPI and Traxxas are doing an awesome job releasing kits that are very affordable, very durable and mainly FUN to drive!

Danny has tested a few packs back to back in the past, only to compare, not to bash or criticize the other product.

There are hundreds, not just a handful of lipo "Manufacturers". We (SMC), Orion, Reedy, Yeah, Trinity, etc. are battery matchers, not to be confused with EnerG, Intellect, EP, Kokam, Ennerland (spelling???) which are manufacturers. We have actually had some sample lipo's from no name companies in China that have better cycling #'s on the GFX than our packs, but after only a few runs the packs swell up and are ruined, and yes, they are being run in cars/trucks that have properly working lipo cutoff's.

Bryan
Bryan@SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There are hundreds, not just a handful of lipo "Manufacturers".
Are there any lipo manufacturers in the US?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdually View Post
Are there any lipo manufacturers in the US?
Prolly not, i am sure the materials are pretty hazardous and that would require some $$$$ to do that in the USA.

it's all about cheap labor these days.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #54
Tech Addict

And in china they can ignore environmental practices.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #55
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdually View Post
And in china they can ignore environmental practices.
prolly not ignore, just different. Maybe easier. I know they pay them so little over there.

I don't know much about that stuff but i know it's cheaper to make things in china.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

There are hundreds, not just a handful of lipo "Manufacturers".
I think you are using the term "manufacturer" Very loosely.I know in my research I was contacted by many who claimed to be manufacturers until it was requested that they provide photos of their production facility. In many cases I was not responded to, or was provided pictures that other "Manufacturers" were claiming were their facilities.In one case I actually had 3 different "manufacturers" send me the same exact set of photos claiming that it was their own personall production facilities.In most cases I found that these types were the ones that would only provide cells in bulk.But the "manufacturers" that could provide cells assembled in hard cases and even offered custom designed hard cases (at your tooling cost) were in most of the cases in fact the actual manufacturers.The number of these types of situations was VERY low (under 20) compared to those who could just provide bulk Cells.(was in the hundreds)One "manufacturer" even claimed that their cells were made at the same facility that the Zippy Brand cells were produced in, proving that they werent really a manufacturer, but actually a customer having cells produced for them BY the actuall manufacturer.After 6-7 months of research I abondoned the idea of having my own cells produced mainly because it would have involved taking a trip to China to verify who was actually going to be making the cells in question.

I guess I should have said there are really only a handfull of FACTORIES in china making these cells, But there are in fact TONS of Companies claiming to be manufacturers that simply are having a product made BY these factories.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #57
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
I think you are using the term "manufacturer" Very loosely.I know in my research I was contacted by many who claimed to be manufacturers until it was requested that they provide photos of their production facility. In many cases I was not responded to, or was provided pictures that other "Manufacturers" were claiming were their facilities.In one case I actually had 3 different "manufacturers" send me the same exact set of photos claiming that it was their own personall production facilities.In most cases I found that these types were the ones that would only provide cells in bulk.But the "manufacturers" that could provide cells assembled in hard cases and even offered custom designed hard cases (at your tooling cost) were in most of the cases in fact the actual manufacturers.The number of these types of situations was VERY low (under 20) compared to those who could just provide bulk Cells.(was in the hundreds)One "manufacturer" even claimed that their cells were made at the same facility that the Zippy Brand cells were produced in, proving that they werent really a manufacturer, but actually a customer having cells produced for them BY the actuall manufacturer.After 6-7 months of research I abondoned the idea of having my own cells produced mainly because it would have involved taking a trip to China to verify who was actually going to be making the cells in question.

I guess I should have said there are really only a handfull of FACTORIES in china making these cells, But there are in fact TONS of Companies claiming to be manufacturers that simply are having a product made BY these factories.
you should get out alittle more. It's refreshing.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
you should get out alittle more. It's refreshing.
why because I do my homework before taking on a business endevour?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:
Prolly not, i am sure the materials are pretty hazardous and that would require some $$$$ to do that in the USA.

it's all about cheap labor these days.
Sorry buddy but wrong yet again.

Valence Technology
Solaroad Technologies
Johnson Controls Battery, Inc
A123Systems
Southwest Electronic Energy

I know there are others but that is the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Bryan...I am sure you are testing cells from other manafactures to see who gives SMC the best return. I would bet that you will not tell us who supplies the cells for your different packs and that will open up the question, if you use cells from company X, so could other "battery matchers". And this opens up the question as to costs of RC packs, and quality of other RC packs.

Please understand I am not trying to attack SMC, Orion, Trinity....in anyway. I have packs from SMC and Reedy, and Trinity till it puffed, so I have supported long time RC companies. However in this day and age, with the economy being what it is we are all looking to the the max out of our $$, and RC car stuff falls way under putting food on the table. So if a pack offers competitive packs for half of what "name brand" packs go for, this is where the debate comes in. And unless someone pays an independent testing lab to do testing on toy car batteries the debate will go on...and on...and on.

I will say one thing however, I will purchase packs from SMC again, for no other reason then you are on forums like this and giving the community info...I will buy SMC over others because of this, I will also still buy from the "budget" suppliers as well.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #60
Tech Champion

Quote:

Quote:
why because I do my homework before taking on a business endevour?

thats why.