R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are always intangiibles, aand what company you choose to support is the same kind of thing as a Detroit vs. over seas auto maker debate, some people will try to tell you that you are destroying america by not buying a Chevy, Ford.... and instead buy that Japanese car made in Alabama is killing the country, killing the US auto makers..bla bla bla. Most people make purchaces based on reviews, reports, and user experences.

These guys (RC Car suppliers) saw how great Lipo was in planes for years before they jumped on the band wagon...and planes started with companies like Kokam someone that actually MAKES cells. And in all my years of flying I have never seen a fire due to a plane crash, charging errors fires yes, damaged packs in a crash that we just did not feel safe with any more...yes, but never a fire related crash, not even from a hard short.

I don't think (I could be wrong) but I don't think that SMC manafactures their own lipo cells. I would bet that they are getting them from somewhere else...are they supporting an American company? A simple google search tell me that SMC, Orion, Reedy....and anyone that I can think of does not make their cells, so who is to say that the no name battery supplier is not using the same source for cells as any of the big players.

http://energy.sourceguides.com/busin.../mfg/mfg.shtml

Is that a total list who knows but it is a start.

Until there is hard proof that the cells in pack A is any better then the cells in pack B I will buy the most cost effective packs, experence has shown there is very little difference.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdually View Post
Linky no worky. At least for me.

I'll throw a little fuel on the fire. It depends a little on what kind of company you want to support. I don't know much about any of these, but what would you rather support? A company that is trying to develop new products that customers want and makes the hobby better. Or a company that copies other companies ideas and products sells them for less and does nothing to support the hobby but muddy the waters for the true rc companies.

Now I am not saying any company discussed here is either of those types, I'm just saying your money is a vote for one type or the other.
i've swam in dirty water my whole life

the hobby is very much alive, i dont see a company making lower priced batteries as a bad thing at all if they are quality batteries, from the reviews of Yeah....I don't see their quality questioned other than being international crap from american purists. If I can get quality, I dont hardly care where it comes from.
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Orion uses Kokam cells for sure
Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #19
Tech Addict

You missed the point. If there is nothing to be gained by these companies building new products, because 3 months later someone else is going to copy them sell it for 5% less and everyone is going to buy it cause it's cheaper, where is the incentive to develop new products.

I'm just saying there is more than price to look at.

But I also don't think you should have to pay for a "name".
huskerdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
You missed the point. If there is nothing to be gained by these companies building new products, because 3 months later someone else is going to copy them sell it for 5% less and everyone is going to buy it cause it's cheaper, where is the incentive to develop new products.

Agreed.
Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
i've swam in dirty water my whole life

the hobby is very much alive, i dont see a company making lower priced batteries as a bad thing at all if they are quality batteries, from the reviews of Yeah....I don't see their quality questioned other than being international crap from american purists. If I can get quality, I dont hardly care where it comes from.
I think the competitive marketplace is a good thing for the consumer.It has driven li-po prices to equal to or below Nimh cells.

On the whole paying for a name issue, i have seen that MANY times over the years. Sanyo vs. Panasonic,GP VS Ib,IB vs EP.
I mean come on Look at Thunder Power. They just got their race team together, and signed aBUNCH of big named guys like Josh Cyrul for one.They have been in the li-po feild for years now,even if it was focused on the model plane sector of the hobby, they know their stuff.

Truth is the cheaper packs could be running the same cells as the name brand packs and you would never know.And after comparing my yeahs to some orions, and even an SMC. I honestly beleive that is what is going on here.That people are paying for a company to import cells and do the secondary hardcase assembly. Those of you that know me know I am a yeah authorized dealer,and soon will be opening my e-store.I have looked into many whole sale deals from many li-po manufacturers even ones willing to put them in a hard case for me and put MY label on them as a few companies are doing.After testing a few different brands I decided to go with the company that makes the yeah li-pos because they ARE the most bang for the Buck li-po on the market, Hands down.

Last edited by 2wdMod; 12-18-2008 at 12:12 PM.
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

werd so your saying all lipo's are generic like the yeah race and diggity lipo's.

ok.

orion equal to smc.....

My car says different.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
werd so your saying all lipo's are generic like the yeah race and diggity lipo's.

ok.

orion equal to smc.....

My car says different.
nope not saying that at all.It depends which manufacturer they are buying from. Orions are kokam, so if you your smc packs seem better to you , where does that get the old "uses genuine kokam cells" argument?

How many li-po manufacturers do you really think there are?? Hundreds?

Try a handfull
you know how many of them will sell you their cells in a hardcase with YOUR label on the pack?? quite a few.

Last edited by 2wdMod; 12-18-2008 at 12:15 PM.
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:

I can see your thought process on this, but you have to realise that companies like SMC, orion and the like develope nothing to do with the cells, companies like Kokam, are the ones doing all the developement work on them, and I would bet that the RC market is not anywhere near the top of their product list to develope new batteries for. Everything from cell phones to laptops to full size cars I would lay odds on being in the top 10 fields. As Kokam for example makes a better cell the batteries get better.

It is all fun to debate this but until there is independent testing on different packs no one will know for sure....But the debate sure is fun.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #25
Tech Regular

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8357

30 $ for a 4000 mah 25C pack.

Even if it over rated, like the pack was a 3000 mah with 20C, It still unbeatable price ever.
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
Tech Champion

i don't see you point, kokam cells are safest and reliable. thats why they are quality.

LOL whats in a YR pack.

look contact yeah they have some nice ebay quality hop ups all over their site.

Copyright 2001-2008YeahRacing.com
owned by i-Creation Ltd - Hong Kong
Contact Us Tel (+852) 3586-0483

i signed up maybe i can sell this generic stuff like everybody else.

http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/index.php
Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #27
Tech Champion

My fav is the description

"This new li-po battery (LP-0050) is specifically developed for all 1/10 explosive RC cars. It makes the cars perform speedy! Most of the RC drivers comment it is a MUST buy item especially for the competition! The process of installation is very simple and time-saving which applies to all RC cars. Just strengthen your car with this powerful li-po battery! "
Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #28
Tech Addict

double post
Old 12-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I can see your thought process on this, but you have to realise that companies like SMC, orion and the like develope nothing to do with the cells, companies like Kokam, are the ones doing all the developement work on them, and I would bet that the RC market is not anywhere near the top of their product list to develope new batteries for. Everything from cell phones to laptops to full size cars I would lay odds on being in the top 10 fields. As Kokam for example makes a better cell the batteries get better.

It is all fun to debate this but until there is independent testing on different packs no one will know for sure....But the debate sure is fun.

I'm just saying in general. It seems like every other hour someone is asking how to get this or that cheaper on here.

Pretty soon we'll all be waiting on the slow boat from china, there will be no lhs and nothing will by worth buying anyway so it won't matter.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post

+1. Until someone that isnt a magazine who depends on advertising revenue,or is linked to the industry in any way does some unbiased comparison testing it's all a mute argument.