R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Battle of the plastic 4wd $200 buggies thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/260542-battle-plastic-4wd-%24200-buggies-thread.html)

jonnyutah 12-16-2008 01:07 PM

Battle of the plastic 4wd $200 buggies thread

Battle of the plastic 4wd $200 buggies thread
Yokomo B-max4 vs Kyosho zx5 and Tamiya Durga

i know , your thinking oh great another newb vs thread. I'm just having a delema on deciding which one to get. I will be using it for club racing and a few state events. nothing hardcore. can you guys weigh in on the pros and cons of each buggy?

-zx5 seems the most flexable. you can go with plastic of carbon chassis, parts are everywhere, and can be converted to zx5-FS.and with tebo on kyosho you can always shoot for his setup.

-durga like zx5 has many hopup parts available and can use some 501x parts and there are a fair number of 501x setups

-B-max4 on the other hand dosen't have many hopups available, uses a saddle pack compared to the other two using stick pack config. and it has a drive tain layout like bj4/b44 only sealed. and currently holds two euro and one japan national titles. not bad for a stock buggy:nod:

in terms of tunablility and setup on bmax are there as many options as the zx5 and durga?

gndprx 12-16-2008 01:16 PM

Kyosho will probably have the best parts support here in the states.

I had a Tamiya Dark Impact for a while. Although though it was a fun little buggy that was club level race worthy, parts support was terrible unless you want to wait 2 weeks for shipping from HK.

Can't speak for the Yok.

streetracer745 12-16-2008 01:19 PM

Yok parts are impossible to get... I drive one of their TCs. Same with DF-03 parts. However I have heard that many 501X parts fit the Durga. And that the Durga is basically the club level 501X... None of them really have great part support in a lot of places though...

trdsupra88 12-16-2008 01:27 PM

Ive seen the Kyosho and with a good driver it is very competitive. The Yokomo looks incredible but I have a ton of stick pack LiPos so that saddle pack config turns me off...both of those are sweet though

TNS Racing 12-16-2008 01:29 PM

all are gona be hard to get parts. the tamiya might be the easier parts to get. But... I heard the yokomo owns

Jason Pelletier 12-16-2008 01:36 PM

Get the lazer sp for 310.00.

worlds better then all 3 of those would be convertable to a FS.

lazer zx-5 would need to be converted to a SP then converted to a FS.

I dunno though i still think you would be better off walking down to your local track and seeing what peeps are running what.

Club racing ? Not serious...... You sure ? :lol:

MADMAN23 12-16-2008 01:48 PM

what about the SBV2???

JR007 12-16-2008 01:51 PM

Not sure if you've thought about this, but you could always go second hand. There are a looooooooot of people out there selling near new cars for 1/2 the price of something off the shelf.
You can get a lot of spare parts etc with the money you would save, or buy a better car.
Just a thought.

trdsupra88 12-16-2008 02:33 PM

I got my b44 for $200 near new from a friend. I am starting to like the look of the Yokomo though.

Team Ash 12-16-2008 02:37 PM

Entry level buggy

I have for a while about this issue. For me I want stick pack configuration.
That left the durga/baldre and the zx5. I have decided on the durga/baldre
First up I want stick pack and parts are readily available locally for the Tamiya but not the Kyosho.
I was advised by racers in person and on rctech not to buy either cheap buggy but to spend the extra on a decent raceworthy buggy. A local racer who works at a LHS bought a durga along on a couple of race nights just to see one way or another if it could compete with the B44's and 501x's that are the cars of choise at our club.
Surprise surprise it kicked butt. It was as fast or faster than any other buggy, handled great and most importantly broke nothing.
Lesson learnt..its more the driver and setup that win races and the less you crash the less you break no matter what price your car was to buy..

Terry

wyl03 12-16-2008 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JR007 (Post 5174420)
Not sure if you've thought about this, but you could always go second hand. There are a looooooooot of people out there selling near new cars for 1/2 the price of something off the shelf.
You can get a lot of spare parts etc with the money you would save, or buy a better car.
Just a thought.

that's what i've always done and rctech is 1 of the best places to look for bargains!
u should be able to find a used b44 or zx5-sp ard $200 .. if that's the case, then why bother with a NIB entry-level kit?

boyntoncyclone 12-16-2008 04:08 PM

Dont forget the new HPI Cyber 10 buggy, from the pictures it looks pretty good! Not talking about that Brahma toy car either. Not on the HPI website yet, but all the mags say coming soon, hope its real quick.

streetracer745 12-16-2008 04:18 PM

I havent seen that. Is it going to be budget like the ones we are discussing now? If so then it seems like budget buggies are getting big. Which IMO is a good thing.

nsr250repsol 12-16-2008 04:22 PM

My vote is for the Yokomo if you had to choose from the three you listed. I have seen the Yokomo run and it actually handles better than the more expensive MR4BX buggy. You will want to upgrade the shocks for sure though.

On a side note: if you can save a little bit more money you can get a B44 and have a race ready car and not need to buy any upgrades. I know this discussion always comes up so I wont go there...

If I were to choose between the buggies you have listed the B-MAX4 has my vote hands down. However, I live in Japan and Yokomo parts are very easy to get and are cheaper than in the states. Oh the only thing I dislike about the B-Max is the ugly body :nod:

Whatever you buy just make sure you have fun racing. After all thats what a hobby is supose to be for.

Good luck!

alana07 12-16-2008 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by boyntoncyclone (Post 5174994)
Dont forget the new HPI Cyber 10 buggy, from the pictures it looks pretty good! Not talking about that Brahma toy car either. Not on the HPI website yet, but all the mags say coming soon, hope its real quick.

yes, this car seems like another good buy...seems like it can take both saddle and stick pack batteries in the chassis. so if your cash's not burning a big hole in your pocket now:D, then hold your horses and wait for this car to come in a couple months' time.