R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Slash - Replacement Parts diff from Stock??

I recently bent the rear stud axles on my Slash. After looking at the parts diagram, I purchased the replacements, part 2753X. After installing these parts, I noticed that the threaded part of the axle is much shorter and the wheel nuts barely screw on all the way. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought maybe I installed them wrong, but after comparing them side by side, I confirmed that the threaded area is much shorter.

Should I worry about this or just put some loctite on the threads before running?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

idk for sure but I was told the nitro rustler axels will fit it has to be a rusty not stampede. I'm getting my slash this week and plan on trying them out. I'll repost if they do
Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the ones you got in the kit were the improved, longer versions. Many were having trouble with the wheel nuts coming loose due to limited engagement of the lock nut. The longer axle helped this. My guess is the replacement parts of the older, shorter version need to run out before you will see the longer ones.
Matt Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Matt, thanks for your reply, makes perfect sense. Should I apply loctite to be on the safe side when racing? These nuts only turn maybe three times and the locking part of the nut does not seem to engage at all. Very loose after breaking the initial seal. I'm almost tempted to put the bent ones back on.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hawkins View Post
I think the ones you got in the kit were the improved, longer versions. Many were having trouble with the wheel nuts coming loose due to limited engagement of the lock nut. The longer axle helped this. My guess is the replacement parts of the older, shorter version need to run out before you will see the longer ones.
i believe you are correct. stock here in ohio is same way seems these stub axels are weak and bend very easy. my 2 trucks only see track duty and have bent several pairs. never broke just cause wheel to wobble alot. ive given up on replacing them till they are extremely bent
Old 12-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I always use loctite on mine. Never had one come loose after that.
Matt Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I got around the issue by using a standard M4 nylock nut, the kind without the built in flange. They sit deeper and I havent had a wheel loss issue since changing over. Most hardware stores have them hanging in a bag for under a dollar.
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote