R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi Desert truck questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/260469-losi-desert-truck-questions.html)

jdubya 12-16-2008 05:35 AM

Losi Desert truck questions

I bought this DT while waiting on my Losi Comp Crawler to get here. Want to use it mainly around the house but also want to run it on my local indoor track. Want to do some initial setup to it to make it run a little faster and handle better. Here is what I have planned so far.

Change shock oil to heavier weight

tune suspension to my liking

change gear in rearend (small indoor course!)

Question I have is, What upgrade to the electronics do I have to do to run Lipo or 7 pack NiMh batteries. The guy at the local shop said somthing about the overheat protection. Sorry for the newb question, just trying to figure a few things out before I tear into it.

OH! I just realized last night once I got it home that the antenna on the radio was broken. Looks like I'm not having too much luck so far! :flaming:

y2kgtp 12-16-2008 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 5172700)
I bought this DT while waiting on my Losi Comp Crawler to get here. Want to use it mainly around the house but also want to run it on my local indoor track. Want to do some initial setup to it to make it run a little faster and handle better. Here is what I have planned so far.

Change shock oil to heavier weight

tune suspension to my liking

change gear in rearend (small indoor course!)

Question I have is, What upgrade to the electronics do I have to do to run Lipo or 7 pack NiMh batteries. The guy at the local shop said somthing about the overheat protection. Sorry for the newb question, just trying to figure a few things out before I tear into it.

OH! I just realized last night once I got it home that the antenna on the radio was broken. Looks like I'm not having too much luck so far! :flaming:

Let me guess...the broken antenna looks like this....5 of 6 of mine were broken out of the box, just call Horizon and send it in for replacement:

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/...rm_60653bd.jpg

On the Speed Control, your stuck with NiMh 6 cells for a while. Just save up and get a Havoc Brushless ESC\Motor Combo for the truck for 140-150....maybe a 13.5T or 10.5T

MSC12RB 12T Fwd/Rev ESC
Product Specifications

Forward:Yes

Reverse:Yes

Time Delay Brake:Yes

Input Voltage:4-cell (4.8 volts) to 6-cell (7.2 volts) DC

Dimensions (WxLxH):1.25" x 1.02" x .888"

Weight:1.2oz (34g)

BEC Voltage:4.8 VDC, 1 amp max

PWM Frequency:2 kHz

Overload Protection:Thermal

Full On Resistance:0.0014 ohms

jdubya 12-16-2008 06:01 AM

Wow, are you part of the phsycic friends network? Yes, that is exactly what happened to my radio. The main reason I bought it was because of the 2.4 system, but if it is this cheap, I might reconsider taking it back to get a slash.

y2kgtp 12-16-2008 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 5172773)
Wow, are you part of the phsycic friends network? Yes, that is exactly what happened to my radio. The main reason I bought it was because of the 2.4 system, but if it is this cheap, I might reconsider taking it back to get a slash.

Did you get it from A Main? I think they just had a bad lot come from the builder perhaps...I sent mine (have 2 radiosout right now as we speak) in to Horizon and they sent back a non-broken one. I keep asking if they have seen this before and they keep saying no.

jdubya 12-16-2008 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by y2kgtp (Post 5172798)
Did you get it from A Main?

Local shop.

y2kgtp 12-16-2008 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 5172833)
Local shop.

Maybe you can take it back? Or have them check their other stock.....5 of 6 of my radios were broken exactly the same way.

jdubya 12-16-2008 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by y2kgtp (Post 5172855)
Maybe you can take it back? Or have them check their other stock.....5 of 6 of my radios were broken exactly the same way.

I'm definately taking it back. I spent an hour in there trying to decide between the slash and the DT. I went with the DT because of the radio and the XXX-t platform on the DT. I know I can upgrade it to run on the local offroad track in the future. I spent all night last night comparing hop ups for both.

y2kgtp 12-16-2008 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 5172884)
I'm definately taking it back. I spent an hour in there trying to decide between the slash and the DT. I went with the DT because of the radio and the XXX-t platform on the DT. I know I can upgrade it to run on the local offroad track in the future. I spent all night last night comparing hop ups for both.

If you want to race out of the box, and if the Slash has a class at your local track, that may be the way to go. typically these run box stock down to the tires.

Slash can handle up to a 8 Cell NiMH battery for the ESC, and people also run 2 Cell LiPo's, I just don't think there is a cut off on the ESC, so will really have to watch it, or get a battery\cutoff system to kill it at 6V.

The Desert truck is based off the XXX-T, but will require some $$$ to race in any of the track classes competitively. Most stadium truck is superstock (13.5T Brushless\LiPo) or Mod. You would need tires\rims for the track setup & a brushless ESC\Motor combo for the class you want to run.

Then there are the batteries...... :lol:

tntpoof 12-16-2008 06:52 AM

losi desert truck

well you dt comes as listed 16-tooth pinion / 88-tooth Spur..also the esc will not handle a 7.4v lipo. here is what and how I set peoples trucks up to run on the indoor offroad carpet track we run.. Get a Oracle 2esc by indi its a $40 investment nice spedo. abs and can and will handle a 11.1v lipo..Put a 90 or 92 tooth spur in it lots of punch good aceleration outa the corners..Best TnT I have also found the dt very glitchy with the 2.4 I think it is the rx-tx are cheaply made

jdubya 12-16-2008 07:09 AM

Well, considering I will be putting 1200$ into my comp crawler, it looks like I will be keeping this one stock (yeah right!) for now. I can race this at the local indoor track and have some fun with it while I'm not crawling. It's kinda cheezy but I like the lights!!!!

I can do some small stuff to get a little more out of it. More than likely I will go brushless, but only after I get my crawler done.

Thanks for the info!

y2kgtp 12-16-2008 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by tntpoof (Post 5172924)
well you dt comes as listed 16-tooth pinion / 88-tooth Spur..also the esc will not handle a 7.4v lipo. here is what and how I set peoples trucks up to run on the indoor offroad carpet track we run.. Get a Oracle 2esc by indi its a $40 investment nice spedo. abs and can and will handle a 11.1v lipo..Put a 90 or 92 tooth spur in it lots of punch good aceleration outa the corners..Best TnT I have also found the dt very glitchy with the 2.4 I think it is the rx-tx are cheaply made

Never heard of this ESC...Intigy only lists 4 ESC's, and 3 of the 4 are discontinued. Only one in stock is this:
http://www.integy.com/cgi-bin/webc.c...556&p_catid=25

and says not to exceed 16T or higher, no more than 7 cells.....I would stick with a brand name that most people have heard of Like Losi Xcelorin, Novak, Tekin, LRP, etc.....

Spektrum Rx\Tx are fine other than the packing\assembly issue noted above with the radio that Horizon takes care of for you no questions asked.