R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? electric brushless motor systems

Is the mamba max 1/10 by castle creations better or as good as novak gtb or xbr sport brushless systems confused about which is better and which to get. going on a stadium truck to race on dirt at my local track.
ripnroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

First off do you want a Sensored or Sensorless set-up? As of 2009 the Mamba Max will be ROAR legal if that matters to you. The Mamba is Sensorless, while the Novak GTB is sensored. The sensored will feel much smoother where as the Mamba is nice cause with the Castle link set-up, you can fine tune the esc and motor via laptop.

I would go with the Novak GTB setup.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I would stay away from the mamba and the novak and go with the lrp sphere comp with a novak motor.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

I am not to familiar with sensored amd sensorless, is there a lot of difference between the two, and which kv in cc mm and which in novak?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you are going to run at the track get the Mamba and the 4600 If you are going to play in the street get the Mamba and the 5700.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What class are you running? Stock, Super Stock, or Modified?

If you're running Stock or Super Stock (17.5 or 13.5 Motors) go with a sensored system. Novak, Tekin, SpeedPassion, or LRP all make decent systems. I personally like LRP and Novak.

If you're running mod you can't beat the price of castle. But I'm not a fan of sensorless motors for racing purposes. Anyways, base your decision on that.

If you aren't sure what class you will be running in, talk to the track and find out. I'd recommend not starting in Mod unless you like lots of broken parts.

Paul
Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I have a mamba max with the 5700 motor I love it. I riped the screws out of the can and replaced that motor with the Orion sl motor wich is to fast for the track using stock settings but I find it preforms well when i use the castle link and tone down the motor. Although this is my first brushlees set up so I can't compare it to any other systems it is a blast to race and bash with. It is very ajustable.
snowbeaverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have ran them all Novak, Castle, Lrp I like the feel of a sensored system just because it feels smoother. I will say that if I were to want to do just bashing I would stick with the Castle becuase I see way less problems with them then both LRP and Novak. Plus Castles customer service is hands down one of the best! If I were to pick a better sensored motor I would say lrp just becuase the sensor wire is replaceable very easy ( it just unplugs...) I have two novak GTB system and one Lrp sphere comp. and have been thinking about switching to all Lrp. just my 2cents
trickedyfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default wow arent we forgetting a few

I run a Quark 125B with Tekin Redline motors.. 537-448-356.. all run smooth as any sensored motor also have the Mamba max. as long as you can get past the ping the quark makes when braking you will be fine. heavy duty no need for a computer and extra $30 cable like the mamba.

Iam not a fan if the Hall effect cable it being so light guage wires hanging off my motor since the tracks I run at people run up your rear But that my opinion

Many many choices to choose from all depends what you like what your budget is and all. Best of Luck in your choice TnT
tntpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

No need for a computer to run the Mamba Max, it is fully programable with the radio transmitter. Also the Mamba Max comes with the USB cable to hook to the computer if you wish.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all of the info guys still not certain which one to get please give all the info you can ,i just plan on racing with it that is all. please more input... fixing to purchase one very soon.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnroar View Post
Thanks for all of the info guys still not certain which one to get please give all the info you can ,i just plan on racing with it that is all. please more input... fixing to purchase one very soon.

I'm gonna lay it out like this.

Lrp sphere comp w/ novak motor .... prolly 10.5 or 8.5 for small indoor. big outdoor go with 8.5 7.5

you running stock ? check with the track and see if it is 13.5 or 17.5, higher the # slower the motor.

Get that combo and you will not be dissapointed.

I am a hard core racer, not super pro but not a novice by any means.

do it !!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I would really look into the Tekin Systems if your budget allows. I run a Tekin RS Pro esc with a 7.5 (4mod) at my local indoor track and it is just money! Most guys in the class run 6.5 or 5.5's but it don't matter, its awesome, and with the Tekin hotwire software the different set-ups are almost infinite.