R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-05-2003, 05:50 AM   #31
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

what does changing the servo saver spring do you for you?
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #32
Tech Initiate

Default Servo Saver

I had trouble getting enough steering, too. I replaced my standard JR servo with one of their high torque, high speed servos and now I've got plenty of steering. Left the servo saver at the original setting.
dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:00 AM   #33
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use a high speed high torque servo, and I still have a lack of steering. But that was only my first run and I've already started making adjustments that I think will yeild more steering.

Another problem I had was the nose going down over our triple jump. I went to two "foams" in front of the battery and one in the rear. That helped a little, but it was still really tricky to get it to land right. Basically I had to hit the triple perfect every lap.

Again, I'm hoping to correct this with adjustments I've made. I'll see if they worked this weekend when I take the truck out for its second outing.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:06 AM   #34
Tech Initiate

One other thing that I forgot to mention. Replace the bushings in the steering with bearings. This probably made the most difference.
dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 PM   #35
Regional Moderator

Default Gearing help

What pinion would I go with if I'm running a 15x2 in my T4. I'm using the standard spur.

The T4's manual is a little confusing when it comes to gearing. It has some of the lower turn mods geared with taller pinions than a 19turn which doesn't make much sense to me, but...

...Anyway, even though a 15 or 16 turn motor is perfect for the average truck racer, the manual stops at 14turn.

So any suggestions for my 15x2 would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #36
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Cane what a servo spring change is that it's not as flimsy and it's also heavy duty (HD) and the stock one also aint that good. Darkside how big is the track though that will determine how tall of a pinion is. You put on a taller pinion on a 19T because the 19T has more torqe or low end other then high end. Dale i also did that to sry for got to memtion and i also switched shock oil to 35wt in front and kept 30wt i rear. I'm going down to race tomorrow night to race and try different tires and inserts. i'll let you know what i did then.
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:25 PM   #37
Regional Moderator

Its a small indoor track. Not that big that I need to worry too much about obtaining much top end.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:33 PM   #38
Tech Master

HeY!!!

If you small track is like about 60-80' then prolly 14-16 tooth for pinion 60' 14 tooth 70' 15 tooth and 80' 16 tooth. Also is the infield is tight then go one lower then like 13-15 tooth.
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:15 PM   #39
Tech Legend

my t4 came in today ! I got her mostly finished but will do the electronics tommorrow. I am extremely impressed by this kit. I don't think I have put one together that has gone together more smoothly than this one! One issue I had if you can call it one was that the shock cap on one of the shocks didn't want to go on right. I may have to replace that but other than this, all went well.

Its also nice that e clips are pretty much gone! I love the setup they have. Looking forward to running it asap, just need my tires and motor to come in to finish her off.

Anyone with gearing suggestions for a somewhat tight carpet track with a 21 turn spec motor? I am thinking of just going with stock gearing, maybe 1 tooth down for torque.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:06 PM   #40
Regional Moderator

Thanks for the advice...
Old 11-07-2003, 04:29 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff
Default T4 at SoCal

Down at SoCal all of us are running sliver springs in the back...I noticed 1-1.5 second faster laps...

Also to help with steering trying the A camber link hole in the front...

Also even though the kit calls for 30 weight all around...everyone likes 35 weight in the front....

Just curious...how many have broken A-arms around the hinge pin and the bulk head?????
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #42
Tech Legend

Hey All,

I got my first race in with my new T4. Was a rush to finish her so she was bone stock other than the Road Hawg tires we run.

The competition tonite was light as there was a low turnout, about 6 truck guys, ranging from T3's to rustler so this would give a good view of how the T4 stacks up against older designs. One of the drivers of the T3 also is very good.

First Heat:

Car was somewhat loose, I didn't sauce the tires so I can attribute it to that and my pack was not the best either, very slow going ( we run a 21 Street Spec class, 1800mah and below sport "unmatched" packs ) but the vehicle jumped like a dream. It was something to see, you could hit the jump all wrong, and it would come down and just plant. Plus it was fast in the sweepers.

I went ahead and tightened the diff and slipper whiched seemed to help, plus added some comm drops and sauced the tires. One thing that I caught that prevented me from doing the second heat was that the CVD drive started to bind. I had to dissemble it and file away and burs. This is something that MIP needs to do a better job of, I have had too many cars with MIP CVDS have this problem.

Missed the 2nd heat so went to the mains. With the changes I made and a better sport pack in, I was floored by the performance of this vehicle! It had rediculous punch which was perfectly smoothed out by the new slipper design. The car was basically on rails, felt almost fully dialed and was bone stock with probably not the best camber and toe settings! I managed to battle up to 2nd and go head to head with the top T3 driver and managed to take jumps simultaneously with him, you could see how he had to adjust the car more to keep it level off of jumps.

In the end I managed to win the A-main, and put down the most number of laps for the night! Our monster truck class basically has no rules other than monster tires and lifted body, so those guys with there chameleons and 3300s on monstered up T3s and Rustlers ( Emaxxes were blown away by this ) and had the handling of stadiums, and I still had the most laps.

Wow is all I can say, I am sold on this vehicle! I look forward to running against some newer designs ( ie- XXXT ) next week, maybe even have a pro truck class get going ( 3300s and maybe still the street spec or go to the chameleon, will see ).

This truck went together smooth, part fit was perfect, and tuning was EASY. Its out of the box setup was perfect for my track. Only knock is on MIP with the CVD burr issue.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:55 PM   #43
Regional Moderator

Well, I made the jump from 1st in the B-main last week, to 2nd in the A-main this weekend. As the ONLY Associated truck in the building, I was on my own for set up, but I'm slowly getting it figured out.

Took a while and some creative weight distribution to get the truck to jump level over our tripple jump, while still having some steering.

Its coming together though. And second in the A-main in only my second off-road race in about 8 years ain't bad!

One things for sure, this thing is tough, I took some serious shots directly to my right front suspension arm, but haven't had any damage yet.

Oh, and I ended up running an 18tooth pinion with that 15X2 of mine, and it seemed to be just fine. The motor or speedcontrol never got too warm, and I probably could have gone up another tooth without any problem.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:26 PM   #44
Tech Legend

The T4 seems pretty tough, I know I came down hard off some jumps and it took them well. Since we run on ozite with a solid concrete underside, no week stuff will last on that off of some of those bmx jumps we use.

Anyone know where I can get a pack pillow? Stock number, etc. Also, anyone know of colored ones? Wish associated would have included that but other than that excellent truck!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:40 PM   #45
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What hop up's are you guy's running in your T4's,good ones, bad ones?Just put mine together..like just finished it.Put the carbon kit on it,MIP gold shock shafts,Trinity motor plate,front bulk head,Ti turnbuckles,Yokomo shock caps.I hope that covers it.. cuz I'm out of money..
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote