R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Arrow Novak 6.5 or CC MMM?

I will be getting a brushless system soon for my E-Revo, but I do not know what system to get. I have narrowed my choices down to three. I am going to run 4S lipo.

Give me your opinions as well as any pros/cons for each.

My first choice is the Novak HV Pro 6.5. It is cheaper than the MMM by over $60, a plus for me since I am short on cash.

My next choice is the CC MMM 2200kV combo. It is more expensive, but has a very reliable ESC and a motor based off of a great design.

My last choice is the oddball. It is a MMM ESC with a Feigao 8XL motor. Total cost is under $250.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ROFLcopter--
......................__ ............
<ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL>.
........................| |...........
................... __\||/____......
.\\...............|'-|--| .\\....\.....
..\ \_...........|--|---|..\\ ....\....
../ L \____,/-------\___\___\
.|LOL|-------------O----- ----,\..
..\ L /______,---''-----------, /...
../ /.............\_________ ,/....
.//.............____//___ __\\__/.
tmaxx2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

The Novak is a tried and true system. Sensored design means no cogging ever, and the quality of Novak equipment is always top notch. However, the system is lacking in power for a heavy monster truck.

The MMM esc/Castle (Neu based) motor will have extraordinary power, and there is no reason that it won't last forever as well.. Tho the MMM Esc has had issues before, supposedly they are all fixed up. With this system you would definitely want some high quality lipos, especially if you are only running 4 cells. This system works better at higher voltages, tho NOT bad at 4s. Oh and Castle Creation's customer service is very very good. If you MMM happened to go bad, you wouldn't have any trouble getting it replaced.

The MMM esc/Feigao will be more powerful than the Novak, but less than the Castle motor/MMM. There are numerous monster trucks running this setup tho, and it is certainly capable of around 40 mph with reasonable temps. Again, higher voltages would help this system.

So in my opinion the choice of system depends on the quality of cell.

Get the Novak if you are intent on sticking with a 4s lipo, and the cells aren't superb quality.

Get the MMM/Castle motor if you can step it up to 5 or 6 cell lipo, or if the 4s setup is high capacity and high C rate (higher amperages are important).

Get the MMM/Feigao if you care less about torque than you do about speed. This setup is still very powerful, but not on the same level as the Castle motor. It will, however, get an E-Revo to 40+ mph geared correctly. This setup will not draw quite as many amps, so you can settle for a lesser quality battery.

Also, the Novak system is likely the best for racing. It will have the smoothest, most controllable power. Sensored systems are hard to beat in any racing situation.

Either of the other systems will be better for hard-core bashing, and maybe some racing.

Hope I helped!
zaner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Don't waste money with Feigao motors. They are so incredibly inefficient and unreliable. You would get about half the run time on a Feigao than you would on a NEU motor on any battery pack. I have burned through 2 Feigao motors and have seen another friend burn through another 2 trying to save some cash.
Personally, getting the right equipment at the start will save you a lot of money in the long run. I haven't had a chance to run the CC motor but if it is a NEU you cannot go wrong.
thisguy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

The Castle motors are Not rebranded Neu motors. They are based off the Neu design, however, and are built with quality materials. In a way they may be better than the Neu motors since they were designed from ground up for Monster trucks such as you have.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Tech Adept

i agree that the novak system is great , but they charge more for repair and cost the same as the cc system, and you can also do more with the cc system, cc also has a higher resale value if you decide to sell

imo the best option on the market for all large scale and $ is the cc combo
Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Arrow

Ooooh. So many things to consider. I think I have eliminated the CC/Feigao at this point, but there is now another system that I like. I know, I know, I'm horrible. Look at the new HPI Flux HP system. It looks to be CC based (look at that ESC!!) but it has not been released yet. I wonder how much it will cost when it is released.

Keep those opinions comin'.

ROFLcopter--
Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Are you racing this or bashing?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Arrow

Umm...mostly bashing, maybe eventually a little racing.

ROFLcopter--
Old 12-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxx2.5 View Post
Ooooh. So many things to consider. I think I have eliminated the CC/Feigao at this point, but there is now another system that I like. I know, I know, I'm horrible. Look at the new HPI Flux HP system. It looks to be CC based (look at that ESC!!) but it has not been released yet. I wonder how much it will cost when it is released.

The HPI Flux is really just a rebranded MMM system. I doubt it will be sold separately, I am nearly positive it is the same thing as the MMM esc/CC motor combo.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Flux is running the MMM and Castle's Chinese made, licensed Neu motor. They contracted with Castle just like Traxxas did for the BL E-Revo - HPI just got the appearance altered to suit their color scheme.

I've run a Feigao 8XL, Quark 125b in a FLM Ext Emaxx for a while and it ran hot (with fans and a heatsink) because they're inefficient, cheap motors. I replaced the 8XL with a Techno Neu 1515 1y and its light years better.

As soon as either the BL E-Revo or the Flux are available, there'll be folks parting them out on Ebay, but due to demand and bidding frenzy, I wouldn't expect good deals. Either buy one or the other of the rtrs or pick up the CC Combo and do your own. That standing backflip the Flux does on the HPI site is pretty impressive. Thats torque!!
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get the CC Monster Max. With the CC you only have to run one 4S but with the novak you have to run two 2S. The CC is a better deal.
porkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I was thinking the same thing. I had the old Novak 6.5 on my Emaxx but never tried the CC MMM. Since I i'm converting my Losi 8ight-T to electric I'd decided to give this CC MMM 2100 combo a try.

From my sensorless exprience I find the Traxxas system to be quite bothersome compared to the Novak GTB system. However the Traxxas 2nd gen VXL worked much better but not perfect. I'm hopeing this CC MMM will work as well as the newest revision of the traxxas VXL. If so it would be drivable without too much annoyance. Hopefully the power will make up the difference from sensorless vs sensored.
m3cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxx2.5 View Post

I've run all three setups your discussing here in 1/8th buggies,(the mmm with a neu motor) with the novak system being the first I tried. In a truck they would all do, with the mmm combo being the best. Castles service, combined with their components being built to handle more than whats required, makes them hands down my first choice. Novaks system would be adequate, but the mmm would be more durable. We've run Feigao 8lx's in two different buggies successfully for over a year before they gave up, but IMO you'd be better off with mmm.With the newer firmware updates they run as smooth as censored systems as well. My .02
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote