Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back into RC

I used to be pretty into RC cars. I have a traxxas E-maxx with novak brushless system that I got like 4 years ago, and the brushless i got about 2 years ago. The car is pretty screwed= the whole front end is jacked up, it barrely turns, the two front wheels are facing each other. On the Chassis, the antenna holder broke, so the antenna is just flopping around right now. And the shocks are screwed up. I was just gunna ask if anybody has any suggestions on what to do and how to fix it, because I was thinking of getting a gorilla MAXX racing suspension to fix the front end, but it was a little expensive, so im open to ideas on that. And I was also looking into getting some Road Rage tires and just a new plastic chassis for the car. Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

it seams that you answered most of it yourself. just ajust your toe angle for your tires and your be fine.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Rookie

well im just sort of wondering if there are any other options at all, since im not really up for dropping 500 bucks into the car right off the bat. The toe angle wont even adjust, ive tried to make them go appart all the way and it wont work.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Maybe you should just bring it in to your local hobby shop and have them give you some advice.....a brand new E-maxx is 349$ + shipping

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20033

So you should be able to fix it for far less than that. Look on eBay for Emaxx parts:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Not sure how much the E-maxx has changed over four years, but I'm sure you can get spare parts to fix it without buying a new one.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Not sure how much the E-maxx has changed over four years, but I'm sure you can get spare parts to fix it without buying a new one.
I was not suggesting to buy a new one, just that a brand new one is 150$ less than the 500$ upgrade.

If it was me, I might buy it brand new, and sell off the electrics on eBay to lower the initial cost. Or look on ebay for a nice used roller.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

E-Maxx documentation

Click that link. There you will find exploded views and the manual for the new E-Maxx. Most likely you can get it back in working condition for $50-60 unless you have some VERY major problems. That is the new version but I don't think many of the chassis items changed.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

if your front end wont turn at all it sounds like the pivot balls are binding up. You might get lucky and be able to remove the pressure by loosening the pivot nuts that retain them and get it broke free . Hopefully the pivot balls arent all rusted to crap after sitting that long. As for shocks I just hapen to have the associated shock set for the maxx trucks laying in a box doing nothing Drop me a PM if you would like them I would part with them for cheap.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
if your front end wont turn at all it sounds like the pivot balls are binding up.
Totally off topic, but just a quick question: Why do some people call them "pillow balls"?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Because technically that's what they are designed after is a joint known as a pillow ball joint.