R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82
Default T44 i am building one, please share information if you have any!!

Hi guys,

I have just bought a 2nd B44 as a project to build a T44. I Really want to build one mainly as a project, it wont be a buggy with truck wheels, i will use T4 width suspension track and a T4 body and wheels.

I have done some calculations to see what parts i will need, the rear end seems not to bad, from my calculations GT2 CVA bones, T4 arms and turnbuckles should widen the rear end to slightly wider than a T4. I can custom raise the shock tower up ( and fabricate a new one if need be to emulate T4 shock positions ) and use T4 rear shocks.

The chassis i will lengthen at the rear where the rear suspension bolts up with a custom aluminum piece to just extend the chassis about an inch or so, the same will be done where the rear top plate bolts to the center bulkhead. The use of a front end CVA bone should be long enough to cover the longer gap. Something will need to be done about adding weight to the rear end to accomodate the battery packs now sitting farther foward and the heavier front truck wheels that are used instead of the narrow buggy wheels, these 2 things will throw the front to rear weight distribution out.

All is good up to here but the front end is my dilemma, has anyone got any ideas here? The front suspension arms are long and reach right into the narrower wheels to keep the track the same width as the rear. This is a problem if i want to run same width wheels as the rear on the front as the front needs shorter arms and bones to allow the wider wheels to sit at the right width. T4 A arms and GT2 bones are out of the question, does anyone have a suggestion here for the right arm and bone combination? Maybe something off a Losi or an older model truck might do the trick? doesnt have to perfectly fit the hub carriers, i can machine them down or use spacers to get the right fit.

Any ideas on the overall build would be appreciated, Please no haters telling me to buy a 1/8 truggy and go brushless, i am not interested in that, if i wanted something mainstream i would go and buy it but i want a challenge.

This is just in the idea stages at the moment, havent made any parts purchases or fabrication plans, have the chassis and electronics ready to go, just need to start planning it all and get the ball rolling.

Thanks guys.
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

well i wish i had some input for you.. sounds lie a cool idea though!
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

HPI had a 4wd1/10 electric truck a while back, but I can't remember the name of it. Might be able to get some ideas off that. Good luck on the build.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Tech Adept

post pics

Team Associated/ Seidel Racing/ Team Scream Racing/ Nike 6.0/ RC Madness
b4.1 novak gtb/ velociti 6.5r
b44.1 lrp sxx tc spec v2/ velociti 5.5r
TNS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Default t44

Mine works with T4 parts. didn't have to mess with the mounts for the shocks just shock oil since the angle of the shocks were more than what is needed. its fun to drive but like you said the weight dist. problem is the hard part.. still haven't gotten it right but it drives like a champ.
rc51ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This sounds like a good project for sure. Good luck.

My only suggestions for the weight thing would be to design a new chassis and upper decks so that you can even out the weight and move things back.

another option would be to extend the front end forward instead of the rear like you mentioned in your first post.

I know this project has been done but have never seen one in person.

Good luck

Speedtechrc.com / Team Orion USA / Airtronics / Proline / Bartalone Racing / rcinsider.com / 818Designs
What up? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

^^ thanks for the thoughts man, i will take them on board, i have the project B44 tore down and im going over the chassis ideas at the moment, will have a look and see what i can do to move the front end forward.

rc51ed: Check your Pm`s
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

actually when i think of it.. since it is a 4wd.. its mainly just throttle control in the air.. not much the weight since the b44 is pretty even already.. when you do drive it you need to drive it like a truck not a buggy.. it doesn't swing the rear like the buggies its just straight traction on the truck tires. just remember your getting 4 rear tires since its 4wd and the lighter the tire the better.. so look for taper pins not the huge hex pins.. it will wear out your motor if its heavier tires to spin.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

heres what i can tell you from a project i just finished tonight. if you are going to do a T4 version you are probably going to need to get a cheet of carbon fiber and make your own chassis. good news is it shouldnt be all that bad with mounting electronics becuae you will have a ton of room on the chassis but i will tell you trying to do it with a 2wd design is hurting and took me three hours in its self last night. It can be done with all associated parts all you ned to do is get the wheel base dimensions off AE's website and determine where you need to drill the holes for the front sub frame which you can mount all of the T4 front end and you will need to make a new rear shock ower. but good luck finding a body. you might want to try an old GT body, the shock tower might be in the right location

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I would just sale the B44 and convert a RT4-GP to electric. You can buy them for $100 from academy and they are pretty awsome trucks.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TheOldBoy

I have toyed with this idea myself and had my BJ4WE converted to a BJT44WE with hardly any problems of sorting out what parts to use or make/modify.

First up, take suspension arms off T4 and put them straight onto the BJ, only need some spacers on front arms to locate them in place on hinge points. Use BJ4 hubs, retaining the axles, replace the CVD dogbone with the T4 one. T4 turnbuckles also fit with no changes. Make new carbon fibre shock towers, just make bottom section of tower longer to match length of T4 tower, drill holes to suit for mounting and shocks.

The only small problem I come across was the actual lenght of the CVD's, the outdrive with the plastic T nut just causes binding on the CVD's front and rear, but this can be solved by taking off 1 to 2 mm off the ball on end of bone going into drive hub. Weakens that area, but with a new bone, I never had a problem of breakage.
Mount the T4 body to towers and there you have it.

I'm sorry I never took some pics before changing it back to a BJ again, but it was a good performer and handled great for a truck on a dry dusty track

Lies and karma will catch up to those who are dishonest or continually try to blame others for what they have done and it is those legal action is pending, nothing more, nothing less.
TheOldBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

any questions??
Old 12-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why do you have the shocks so far out in the front?
Shirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would make a new raised front shock tower and drill different holes in the arms to give the front some down travel. It would probly handle way better too.

Speedtechrc.com / Team Orion USA / Airtronics / Proline / Bartalone Racing / rcinsider.com / 818Designs
What up? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

I only used the shock mounts that was already in place for the a-arms.. i didn't want to fabricate too many parts incase something breaks i'd have to spend more time refabricating new mount holes etc. i did use a softer shock oil etc to compensate for the angle it was mounted in the front. its fun to run just no class to race in competitively and you have to drive it like a truck its not like a buggy where you can slide the back out in turns.. the wide wheel base makes it run like a t4 but on steroids with the 4wd.