R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Mamba Max ESC on/off switch

The on/off swith for my mamba speed control has unfortunatly come off and i have lost it as well. I was wondering if i could take an on/off switch from one of my older speedos such as the Tamiya ESC that comes with most of their kits. Do any of you guys know if this will work. Thanks in advance my fellow RCer's. A.J.
SpeedKills25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills25 View Post
The on/off swith for my mamba speed control has unfortunatly come off and i have lost it as well. I was wondering if i could take an on/off switch from one of my older speedos such as the Tamiya ESC that comes with most of their kits. Do any of you guys know if this will work. Thanks in advance my fellow RCer's. A.J.
Anything that will make contact between the two wires that used to go to the switch will work. You could even twist the two wires together and it will work just fine (soldering would be better for long term use).
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can bypass it. You just take the positive and negitive wire and wrap them around, then put a thin pice of heat shrink so it dont come apart.
porkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I took the switch off and soldered the + and - together and it works fine .
HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Wow, thanks a lot guys for the quick replies. It looks like i will be using the wires from a broken speedo that i have laying around. The only problem with soldering the wires to the mamba is the fact that the speedo doesn't provide much room for soldering. My soldering iron is a radio shack brand which works nice, but im afraid the tip is too large to fit into the small area where the wires will be connected. Is there actually a way to do this without soldering at all? Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If the wires have pulled away from the circuit board, then you have to solder wires back on, yes.

Actually you have 3 options...

1. get an iron with a small tip and solder on new switch leads.
2. ditch the switch, and the wires... and use solder as a "jumper" across the contacts on the circuit board. That might be easier to do with the iron you have anyway. It's not too hard to get the solder to flow and connect the two spots. Just do not keep the iron on the board too long... if it doesn't work right away, let the board cool and try it again.
3. send it back to Castle and they will do it for you... and be aware that soldering on the boad does void the warranty
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
If the wires have pulled away from the circuit board, then you have to solder wires back on, yes.

Actually you have 3 options...

1. get an iron with a small tip and solder on new switch leads.
2. ditch the switch, and the wires... and use solder as a "jumper" across the contacts on the circuit board. That might be easier to do with the iron you have anyway. It's not too hard to get the solder to flow and connect the two spots. Just do not keep the iron on the board too long... if it doesn't work right away, let the board cool and try it again.
3. send it back to Castle and they will do it for you... and be aware that soldering on the boad does void the warranty

Thanks for this useful information my friend. My only question for you is in part number 2. So if i ditch the switch and bridge the tabs with solder, how will i turn the ESC on and off? Will this just happen when i plug a battery in? Im about to go ahead with this method as i type.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I did away with my switch long ago after the tech support guys from Castle made that suggestion to me.

Yes plugging your battery in with activate the system and unplugging it shuts it down. It is as simple as that.