R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Getting back into racing?

I recently reclaimed all of my R/C gear from my parents house and started going through it all. I used to race at pit stop back a few years ago just about every weekend and really enjoyed it. I'm thinking about getting back into it...but how good is my old gear? Is it possible to be competitive with several year old equipment. When I stopped racing the brushless motors were just coming out. I would want to do 1/10 buggy again, the car I have is a XXX kinwald edition...still any good? Has everyone switched over to brushless by now?
matt gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
Tech Adept

i did the same thing as you are doing. your old cars will still be good to race as you get back up to speed. just dont expect to beat the fastest guys at your track until you get lipo and brushess. the old stuff has a lot of fade at the end of the run compared to the new stuff. oh, and the brushless motors are geared so high that you dont spin the tires so much everywhere. that makes it a little easier to drive. the lightness of the lipos make the car quicker too which takes a little getting used to but then you start to like it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

To be totally honest.. the XXX BK1 is very similar to the new XXX-CR version.. probably a little stronger with the graphite than the new EA3 plastic. Basically the car you have is still at the same level...

As for your electronics... well.. if you have old NiMh packs.. then you will probably want to get new ones... A good well matched pack will be in line with a LiPo pack as long as you take care of it. If you have the gear to take care of a brushed motor (lathe.. etc..) you can still keep up. A well tuned 27t stock will keep up with a properly geared 17.5 brushless. It just takes more work to stay fast!

I'd say for mininal investment, you can get back into it!

Get out there and have fun!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rob martin

i just went thru the same thing as u starting back up.i got a great deal on 8 4200's and some orion revolution motors . i will use this stuff and be competitive until i totally switch over to brushless. i wouldnt get to worked up on getting the latest newest things. u can do things on a budget and still go fast. u can find good deals on batterys,esc,motors since everyones switching to lipo\brushless especially since ur just starting back up.
rob martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I did the same thing as you as well, my stuff had sat for about 10 years. Most of my batts where ok, I just had to cycle them about a thousand times.
The off road car a B3 still does pretty well, I seem to be able to hang with the new cars, I am still running a brushed setup and I can hang with the 17.5 cars pretty well. On the on road side the TC3 is still hanging in there with the newer cars, in that class it is all brushed motors. The 17.5 cars are in a different class and turn a little faster lap times, Depending on if I go VTA or not will determine what brushless setup I go with.

Get your stuff out there and have fun with it, It took about 3-4 weeks for the rust to start coming off so give yourself some time with the car you have, it takes a little while to get back into the swing of things.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I ran the BK1 for years before I switched to all Academy. It's still a very competitive car and as others have said, it's very similar to the CR with just a few less tuning options.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure how fast things have developed the past few years. I would assume my batteries are no good, and I do have a lathe so I'll stick with that for now... Only bad thing...no local tracks.
matt gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt gould View Post
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure how fast things have developed the past few years. I would assume my batteries are no good, and I do have a lathe so I'll stick with that for now... Only bad thing...no local tracks.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/trackfinder/

Maybe check this out to find a track?

I would seriously look into LiPo & Brushless...you don't need to buy 100$ packs....I have bought some Protek's from A main that are really nice, and you can get this charger for about 50$ shipped that can charge anything....I have 2 of them myself:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...(USA_Warehouse)