R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Will there be a Matt Francis edition 2? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/25743-will-there-matt-francis-edition-2-a.html)

Brian Miskolczi 10-10-2003 09:37 AM

Will there be a Matt Francis edition 2?

I was wondering if anyone has heard that they might come out with the same thing they did with the kinwald car?? I was looking to buy a francis truck, and if they are coming out with an updated kit i will wait. Thanks:deathstar

cburk 10-10-2003 02:36 PM

I'm sure Losi will come out with something. A couple things I would like to see is an aluminum rear pivot mount included and a redesign of the rear shock tower that would eliminate breaking off ball ends inside the shock tower on rough landings.

Maybe a new tranny? What else would you guys like to see on the new Losi truck?

Later,
Cburk

Jon Kerr 10-10-2003 04:19 PM

Ball studs broken in the tower sucks. I just did that last weekend. Luckily I was planning on making a change back there any ways so I didn't have to try and drill it out or replace the tower.

speedydave 10-10-2003 10:03 PM

They'll probably come out with something, but if you want your truck this year, just buy the MF. It's not like the current truck won't be competitive if and when Losi updates it, and I'm sure a lot of the upgrades will bolt right onto the MF that's out right now.

YoungChazz 10-10-2003 11:32 PM

To fix the broken ball stud problem, try skipgear.com. Skip makes a modified shock tower which bolts on in place of the standard one. The skipgear tower has two pieces of aluminum angle where the ball studs go so that the studs are now vertical. When one breaks, just replace it. The second time you replace just the stud instead of the whole tower, you've made your $$ back. Added bonus is that you can tune your roll centers by adding & subtracting washers at the tower. Thus, you can run the plastic hub carriers, reducing unsprung weight from the aluminum carriers.

I understand Losi intends to bring out a truck with the new tranny and suspension revisions sometime next spring. The new rear suspension does away with the pivot block, mounting the arms instead in similar fashion to the XXX-4. This allows easier adjustment of anti-squat and eliminates the E-clips.

So far, they're saying you must buy either an whole new buggy or a ton of individual parts -- there is no plan to market a "conversion kit." One assumes the truck will be the same. Major Bummer.

xxxtracer32 10-11-2003 01:45 PM

titanium ball studs help out with breaking the stud in the shock tower but its still going to happen. a lot of force is put on the stud when you land at an angle or just right and pop. only draw back to the ti ball studs is the cost.

cburk 10-13-2003 10:08 AM

I think I will check out the skipgear mod. I have broken titanium ballstuds off twice in the tower and had to buy a new shock tower each time. That totally sucked and it ruined two of my qualifiers! Not to mention the graphite towers are pretty expensive.

I noticed that the T4 and B4 have new tranny's. What is the benefit of the new transmission.

Also I see that the Kinwald 2 is going to have a new tranny? Can that tranny be used on the XXX-T also?

Later,
Cburk

Jeff Ford 10-13-2003 01:41 PM

Try MIP's stainless steel ball studs, not as light as titanium but stronger, I've broken 1 in 3 years on 2 trucks..:cool: