R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi Desert Truck (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/257131-losi-desert-truck.html)

stiffler297 12-01-2008 07:11 AM

Losi Desert Truck

Does anyone have any reviews of this truck? Am thinking of getting one for my son. All comments welcome.

cherokee 12-01-2008 07:19 AM

I would say it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are looking for a race truck I would look at a xxxt or a T4. If you are looking for a realistic looking truck I would look at a Slash. The Losi DT is a fine truck but there are things that might fit the bill better.

TwoTone 12-01-2008 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by stiffler297 (Post 5112555)
Does anyone have any reviews of this truck? Am thinking of getting one for my son. All comments welcome.

How old is your son?

Not trying to derail your thread, but if he is young like mine-6 years old- I'd recommend the Slash, it's nearly industructable. So far in 6 months, I've only had to replace shock caps and straighten one shock shaft.

roadrashracing2 12-01-2008 07:33 AM

I've seen them race at the track, it has the same electronics as the slider and I heard about problems with them when the first came out, if your looking for a rtr to race race, this would be closer then the speed t. They do not make a rtr xxx-t anymore.:(

R40Victim 12-01-2008 08:29 AM

We've been very pleased with ours. We race them right along side the XXX-Ts and T4s, and they're plenty competitive. ;)

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-161092.jpg

stiffler297 12-01-2008 08:59 AM

How do they race side by side with the Slash's?

R40Victim 12-01-2008 09:31 AM

No contest, they are WAY faster around a track than a slash. The slash is a toy, the DT is based on a race chassis. ;)

cherokee 12-01-2008 09:51 AM

As there is a slash only class at our track...and I would bet most tracks around the country, the only time I have been on the track with a "race truck" and the slash is during practice....and it is by far a concrete test, but:

The slash seems about as fast as a stock buggy or truck down the straight, it is a little more porkey then the truck or buggy so it does not seem to jump as far. On turns an out of the box slash will unload the inside wheel or might traction roll, but there are ways to fix these problems.

If your son is new to RC and likes the look of the DT see what he thinks of the slash, they are so much tougher then anything, on a race type truck those arms out there with those large tires can be very strong...but they can snap for the lightest hit in the wrong way....If he is new the "training mode" setting in the ESC on the slash would help out also.

Both cost about the same, both are great trucks, and you will find that there is a great bias with many against the slash for no other reason then traxxas made the thing.

Look around do some research, here and else where, there is a reason why the slash spec classes are so popular it is a cool looking, hard to kill, fun to race and beginner friendly RC truck.

But the bottom line is to get what your son likes, they both cost about the same money....if he does not like it he will not run it.....also try to check out a track in your area...even if you never plan on racing you may get some good input to both choices.

Revo-daddy 12-01-2008 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by TwoTone (Post 5112592)
How old is your son?

Not trying to derail your thread, but if he is young like mine-6 years old- I'd recommend the Slash, it's nearly industructable. So far in 6 months, I've only had to replace shock caps and straighten one shock shaft.

+1 I race mine in a spec class outdoors, race indoors, race on carpet(lol), drive it in the rain, lets the kids beat on it at parties, and put in in the pond a couple times. The only thing I've ever broken is the occasional shock cap....

Revo-daddy 12-01-2008 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by R40Victim (Post 5113026)
No contest, they are WAY faster around a track than a slash. The slash is a toy, the DT is based on a race chassis. ;)

I disagree. We race them together and stock for stock the DT has never won the class. They do handle a little better, and have a little more top end but not enough to overcome much of a driving difference. They also break ALOT more....

R40Victim 12-01-2008 12:33 PM

They also break ALOT more....
That's because they were originally designed for racing, not bashing. Traxxas makes better bashers; tough, and fun, but pathetic handling. Racers are designed to minimize weight, and improve handling.

Really it comes down to what you plan to use it for. The DT is a nice way to get into stadium trucks, and the Slash is a nice way to get into the Slash class. ;)

y2kgtp 12-01-2008 03:00 PM

Both are about 200$ retail.

However, the Desert Truck comes with a 2.4Ghz Spektrum radio....something else to keep in mind if your track bound....

electricguy007 12-01-2008 03:07 PM

I have not broken anything on my desert truck, the turnbuckles do bend easy though. That is the only weak point I have found so far.

y2kgtp 12-01-2008 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by electricguy007 (Post 5114373)
I have not broken anything on my desert truck, the turnbuckles do bend easy though. That is the only weak point I have found so far.

I've had good luck so far.

I really wonder what the chassis made out of....it's not pure plastic...it's a much harder material, as I cut a bit of mine for a project I'm working on....I wonder if it's the EA3 material, just not stamped on the bottom?

TwoTone 12-01-2008 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by electricguy007 (Post 5114373)

Have you sent your truck off the corner of a 12ft quarter pipe at the local Skate park?

He is asking about a truck for his son, not an adult experienced driver- HUGE difference. Thats why I asked his son age. If older and ready to race that makes a difference.

You willing to let my 6 year old drive your truck and see if he can break it?

My son and his 3 friends will hit each other at full speed head on, bet you can't find 2 Desert truck owners willing to do that.