R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBait View Post
Has anyone heard of this? Was told i could not race in a stock buggy points series at a track because of no reason. Does anyone think this is a little messed up? I drive nearly 2hrs every saturday to race at this place and last night was the start of the points, i get there and sign in and right before race time the track owners came to me and said we dont want you in stock buggy. WTF? i had 4hrs of road time just to practice and leave?

Sounds like its ready to move up, let the other guys win stock and start to learn how to go fast in mod..
You can set a example and at the same time learn more skills...

sides , winning stock is never going to be as great as winning in mod even if you had twice as many in stock .....

Go faster , have even more fun racing mod , you won`t regret ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
LC
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to LC

I race at the track this was supposed to happen at and this guy won't answer any of the Questions that were asked, what does this tell you? I have raced at Mikes since they opened 5-6 years ago and I can tell you this is most likely BS. just let it die.
LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

He's not talking about Mikes. So calm down.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

hey david, when are ya'll gonna run 4wd up there again? i'm wanting to come up and do some racing.
harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Funny thing, I just bought a buggy and was wanting to run some 13.5 to get ready for nats. And since I only have one set of electronics I was going to park the 4wd for awhile. So I'm curious to see how this turns out.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
LC
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to LC

Sorry David he started a thread on Mikes yesterday like it happened at Mikes.
LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

no this did not happen at mike's, i just posted to ask if this stuff happens at other tracks.

i drive 2 hrs one way to race every saturday, i showed up sat, signed in for stock buggy since there are 6 guys to race against and the track owners came to me and said i can't run in stock......i asked why they said it was because i was too consistant.....

so either pay 20 bucks to race against 2 cars or just go home, they ran me off, this is the stuff that makes ppl not want to have this hobby......
SnakeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
no this did not happen at mike's, i just posted to ask if this stuff happens at other tracks.

i drive 2 hrs one way to race every saturday, i showed up sat, signed in for stock buggy since there are 6 guys to race against and the track owners came to me and said i can't run in stock......i asked why they said it was because i was too consistant.....

so either pay 20 bucks to race against 2 cars or just go home, they ran me off, this is the stuff that makes ppl not want to have this hobby......
no...this is the stuff that makes for better racing. if you are consistantly a top 3 qualifier, you should bump up to the next level. that being said, if anyone else is consistant along side you then they should as well. theres 5 racers total for mod. in orlando a while back they let you run one season ameteur, anything after that you bumped up to sportsman or mod, whichever they had i forget now.

sounds fair to me. now if it's a spec class like slash racing where driving is the case for your winning and not equipment...i don't think i would respect their decision either. i'm pretty sure stock class is open to any brand/company/label you can find.
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

no this isn't a spec class.

they have sportsman
stock
mod.

mod only has 2 ppl, stock has 6 or so.
I drive 2 hours to get to the track so to me i want to race with the most amount of ppl.
they said i couldn't run in a stock class with my stock gear and sent me on my way.
SnakeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Their track, their rules. Might be a lame decision on their part but it is their decision to make. If they have been involved in running a track for any length of time I'm sure they know that by saying this they run a risk of you not coming back, so there is probably a good reason for it.

Looking at it from the other side, when the same person wins a "lower" class like stock again and again it sends the other racers away in frustration. In national competition stock class is just another class for the pros to run, but in a club race or even local points series, stock is usually considered an entry level class. I'd guess the track owners also own a hobby shop and have had potential new customers scared off by seeing someone beating the field by at least a lap regularly.

If you don't like their rules, you go somewhere else. It also sounds a lot like the whole story isn't being said here.. considering that your first post says you were "told i could not race in a stock buggy points series at a track because of no reason" and then later you posted the reason they gave you.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:16 AM   #26
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Well if he ran the normal stock class, not the sportsman class I can't see how a track owner can say your too consistant. Now if your in a sportsman stock class and you win every week I can see him wanting you to move up. I normally like to run the biggest class but lucky at are track its mod buggy and are slash class.

If you constantly win in a Sportsman class it could be time to move up. I know racing with more is more fun but you won't get better as quickly as you will running against guys better than you.

The other thing is in this economy I can't believe a track owner would want to chase off any customers because they are too hard to come by. In todays world chasing people off can hurt them more than it can help them so if it went down exactly like was posted the owner is at fault. He should of gave a much better explanation and worked with the customer in a better fashion than was posted. With tracks and hobbyshops closing everyday I would think as an owner you might go about things in another way.

These threads are always tough because you have two sides to every story so it is hard to know exactly how it went down.

I give are track owner alot of credit in this area. He would really work with the racer to try to get a decision they could both be happier with. Not every choice is a perfect one but he does try hard to accomodate everyone.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
no this isn't a spec class.

they have sportsman
stock
mod.

mod only has 2 ppl, stock has 6 or so.
I drive 2 hours to get to the track so to me i want to race with the most amount of ppl.
they said i couldn't run in a stock class with my stock gear and sent me on my way.
well that's a little different. If this is a yearly points series maybe it's because the rules have changed since last year.I know alot of people were waiting on ROAR to make a ruling on BL motors used for stock/spec classes and now that you listed the classes it sounds as if that may be the situation.I know last year alot of places were running 13.5's as a "stock" motor.But 13.5 is now considered a Super Stock motor, or = to a 19t brushed.So if I read the classes listed right you may have had the wrong gear installed.Because it sounds like it should be like this:
stock = 17.5BL or 27t brushed
sportsman = 13.5BL or 19t brushed
Mod = open.

Hate to say it but I have heard alot of people upset when the new rules were instated, but that's kinda the way it goes when you run gear that there are no official rules for yet.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
FIRST - "SnakeBait" sounds like a new account just for "baiting" people into an argument. But for the sake of discussion....

Maybe you just suck at driving, hack people all the time, and/or require constant marshaling.

Why do they NOT want you racing in the Stock Buggy Points series?
first of all i know this guy very well. he happens to be my brother in law. he is not tryinng to bait anyone. he has been running cars sinisc he was a kid. he knows how to drive. he has been racing a t this track for a while in the stock class without any problems. hes not a "HACK". now i dont know the whole story but being told to run mod because your to fast to run in a stock motor class thats crap. thats like me going over to steve eaves, brian stanton & "PHIL" & saying you guys are killling me to much and you need to start running mod motors and get out of stock class. thats a load of crap. sounds like some people were tired of an out-of-towner coming in & taking them to school. why should he have to run mod if he doesnt want to. stock is stock. some people just enjoy driving stock motors better than mod. wow go figure
buffalobill989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_R_Fast View Post
If you are meeting All the requirements of the class, you should be allowed to run in that class. Why should someone be forced to run a modified class, when they are good in a stock format? As long as they are meeting all regulations.. Is not this the basis of competition? Being good with a level playing field? If he was running a mod motor, and winning consistantly, are you going to tell him to move up? to where? or not to come and race? Mabe to him stock is easier on parts and up keep? mabe he dosent want to go any faster. Why should he be told not to be in that class? If he meets all requirements.
couldnt have said it better myself
buffalobill989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
The other thing is in this economy I can't believe a track owner would want to chase off any customers because they are too hard to come by. In todays world chasing people off can hurt them more than it can help them so if it went down exactly like was posted the owner is at fault. He should of gave a much better explanation and worked with the customer in a better fashion than was posted. With tracks and hobbyshops closing everyday I would think as an owner you might go about things in another way.
More than likely the owner did it for the sake of keeping the other drivers happy. Like you, I don't agree how the owner went about it, but doing nothing would have, or may have had a profound impact on his business. A driver that contently wins, race after race and has not bumped up, could have a psychological effect on the other drivers willingness to race at that track again. However, I see this as the owners fault, for not having an Expert class. He should have known that not all drivers are equal, and to put them all in one race is exactly the kind of mess we have here. How many drivers befor him where told the same line? It is no wonder that there are only two drivers in Mod. Because no one wants to buy a new motor just so they can race at that track. More, or less they'll go elsewhere.