R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Scarin me away from electric RC!

So after reading about all these exploding Nimh, and expensive LiPos i think i'm being scared away from electric RC. I have a nitro one right now and was thinking of switching to electric due to simplicity. But then i read about all these dangerous exploding Nimh batteries... so i don't know if i want it anymore. What do you guys think?
Cheezburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The only nimh that explode are IB cells. I have sene them explode before.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MrLesac

I think you have nothing to worry about.
most of it is people over reacting.
MrLesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezburger View Post
expensive LiPos
I admit I dont run nitro, but I heard it's $40 something a gallon vs $60-$80 for a decent lipo that may last years.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Most of the exploding NiMh batteries were the Intellect brand cells. They were known for producing great power at the time, but had real issues with durability. I've seen the damage the Intellect batteries could do, and many racers complained about the cells simply not lasting through a season without a severe drop in performance.

I've been using the Ener G 4600 cells from Pro Match, and they are great. I first saw them last year at my local track, the guy using them was fast and he told me personally he was very glad he bought them. I decided to give them a try this year. I too am very pleased with them.

Check this out.

http://www.promatchracing.com/index.php

His prices are good and he's very helpful in answering any questions.

Another brand of cells is the EP 4600. Another great cell with power and durability. Check this out.

http://www.teampowerpush.com/

This company has been around for the better part of 20 yrs as far as I know. Hope this helps.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

As long as you pay attention to what you are doing you won't have any problems. Realistically there are very few battery "explosions" throughout electric racing. The few that do occur are few and far between, not to mention when you dig down deep into the situation most of the time it is the result of a user error and not a battery or charger malfunction.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
The only nimh that explode are IB cells. I have sene them explode before.
electric rc is safe but can be unsafe if you neglect things. but chris rc is right all the brands of cells ive used only the ibs hav popped. i really didnt like the ib batts they run hotter than the other batts. i currently run a ep4600 pack and i love it
team driver and president #2 for Team Carpet Fire
*team terribles*
ofna hyper 7(blown motor)
team losi xxx-t
jammin x1 crt (lrp .28spec3)
teamcarpetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

The only times I've heard of issues with either NiMH and Lipo are with overcharging and too-fast charging. Like a 2/3 18th scale battery charged at 4A or over-charging Lipo due to neglect. In my first year of racing, no complaints from me and my son and I raced in both on-road and off road and we crash more than more experienced racers. No problems with the cells I have other than one or two NiMH cells going flat (bad) that need to be pulled out of a pack.
jmcvicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcvicker View Post
The only times I've heard of issues with either NiMH and Lipo are with overcharging and too-fast charging. Like a 2/3 18th scale battery charged at 4A or over-charging Lipo due to neglect. In my first year of racing, no complaints from me and my son and I raced in both on-road and off road and we crash more than more experienced racers. No problems with the cells I have other than one or two NiMH cells going flat (bad) that need to be pulled out of a pack.
i used to charger my 18th scale packs at 4 amps they would be done and you could hardly hold them. im happy they never blew i now charge them at 1-2 amps
*team terribles*
team losi xxx-t
Old 11-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
Tech Master

Like is mentioned by others, the damage is usually through misuse. The best advice I ever got was to balance cells properly every now and then to prevent overcharging.

If you look after the batts and treat them with the smae respect you would nitro fuel, you won't have a problem.
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Hmm... so what's a good typical charger / equipment i would need to maintain these batteries properly?
Cheezburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcarpetfire View Post
i used to charger my 18th scale packs at 4 amps they would be done and you could hardly hold them. im happy they never blew i now charge them at 1-2 amps
The one and only time I charged a 1/18 pack at that high amperage, I had to buy a new pack the following week. Was a complete accident too. I forgot to turn down the amperage after charging a 1/12 scale pack.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

i used to charge my gp 1500 at 4amps all the time. i would allso charge my ib 1100 and ib 1400 at 4 amps. all the batts had more than 25- 30 charges at 4 amps. i am happy none of them blew
*team terribles*
team losi xxx-t
Old 11-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Tech Master

With regards to the right gear to get, it all depends on your budget and type of batteries you want to run.

Generally, Lipo's are a bit more expensive initially, and so are the chargers, but they have a longer life than Nimh, and you don't have to discharge or balance them, just literally plug and play! You do however need an ESC that has a voltage cut-off.

Nimh are less expensive, but to get the most out of them, you need a ballancer or battery conditioner. There are so many out there it's not funny, so it's hard to decide.

Maybe if you suggest the budget for batteries and associated gear, a few of the others on here can suggest the best gear to get for them
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezburger View Post
Hmm... so what's a good typical charger / equipment i would need to maintain these batteries properly?
You want a peak charger. It senses when the battery is fully charged then stops. Some brands to look at our Duratrax, Orion, Novak, and there are a couple more.

You will need a high amp discharger (Integy sells some good 20-30 amp ones) and a low amp equalizing tray. (seems as the Novak Smart Tray is the best). I have a Integy Reactor 30 amp discharger to discharge the batteries really quick after a run then when they are discharged put them on my Novak Smart Tray to equalize them and you should equalize them before every charge.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote