Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1amp per 1000 mAh...

So, charge a 4000mAh battery at 4A (or less) - that's "1C charging"
jmcvicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Oh man i just realized... those discharge trays wouldn't work for LiPo cells ><. I'd have to get a separate balancer for the charger arghhhh.
Cheezburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Instead of the 1 7 cell batteries, how about a couple LiPo's, that you can charge over and over all day long?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16867
Old 11-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
Instead of the 1 7 cell batteries, how about a couple LiPo's, that you can charge over and over all day long?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16867
Look at the C rating on those packs. Kinda low. Most of the info I've read about LiPo leads mr to believe a higher C rating performs better.

If you're just gonna bash, then consider 6 cell. They'll be easier to fit into an equalizing tray, and a few bucks cheaper.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
Look at the C rating on those packs. Kinda low. Most of the info I've read about LiPo leads mr to believe a higher C rating performs better.

If you're just gonna bash, then consider 6 cell. They'll be easier to fit into an equalizing tray, and a few bucks cheaper.
It's a stock slash....it's not going to pull that much.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezburger View Post
I'm actually into RC only for bashing. I have no tracks near me anyway lol (NYC). But i do have a huge park of just sand right next to my house which is nice. So i guess i'm looking mainly for durable and affordable equipment. Now i am thinking this: Traxxas Slash, Duratrax Onyx 230 charger, Pro-match 7cell 4600mah battery, and some discharge/balancing tray. The Onyx 230 doesn't have discharge or balancing but i'm leaning on the discharge/balancing tray to do that job. I'll charge the battery with a low current everytime. I'm glad i know cells are safer than what other people are making it out to be though lol. I thought i would have to baby them or else they'd explode on me everytime. Because i'm actually pretty sick of nitro, expensive fuel, non-stop maintenance. It really takes the fun out of this hobby when something breaks or malfunctions almost every time you use it.
Long Island Raceway and Hobby is 15 minutes from the Queens line and is an electric 1/10 scale off road track. They have a specific Slash class that is run every Friday night and on Sundays if the turnout is there. They are also open all week for practice. www.raceway.com is the website.

You should come down and check it out one Friday night.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #37
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

nitro cars need battery packs too. lipo or nimh. you choose.
FRANKENSTEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
Long Island Raceway and Hobby is 15 minutes from the Queens line and is an electric 1/10 scale off road track. They have a specific Slash class that is run every Friday night and on Sundays if the turnout is there. They are also open all week for practice. www.raceway.com is the website.

You should come down and check it out one Friday night.
That's a nice looking track!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Glad to see that you have changed your mind about electric. I have been running RC cars for years. I run both Nitro and electric for many years. There is a time and place for both, but yes I agree nitro can be pretty maintence intensive. Now that electric is just as fast, and run times are getting pretty long with Lipo's and high capacity batteries it's nice sometimes just slap a battery in hit the road!

It seems you have pretty much chosen your hardware, but I have one suggestion for a charger. I just picked up a charger form GT Power, good price and seems to do a very good job. It has a built in balancer with most connections built into the side of the charger. It also does a pretty good job at charging my other batteries, and comes with a whole bunch of prewired connections for various types of batteries. It even comes with a USB cable to hook up to your computer to check the status of your battery as its being charged.

Here is web site for the charger.

http://www.gt-rc.com/pro_detail_en.asp?PID=57

I got mine for 160 CAD at my local HS.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC6 View Post
Glad to see that you have changed your mind about electric. I have been running RC cars for years. I run both Nitro and electric for many years. There is a time and place for both, but yes I agree nitro can be pretty maintence intensive. Now that electric is just as fast, and run times are getting pretty long with Lipo's and high capacity batteries it's nice sometimes just slap a battery in hit the road!

It seems you have pretty much chosen your hardware, but I have one suggestion for a charger. I just picked up a charger form GT Power, good price and seems to do a very good job. It has a built in balancer with most connections built into the side of the charger. It also does a pretty good job at charging my other batteries, and comes with a whole bunch of prewired connections for various types of batteries. It even comes with a USB cable to hook up to your computer to check the status of your battery as its being charged.

Looks nice.

I like your screen name... otter. I've spent about 11 years in the DHC8(a,b,d)

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC6 View Post

Yea i was looking at those Chinese manufactured chargers, but i'm kinda skeptical about them since they are cheaper than real chargers and i doubt there is a warranty/number to call if anything breaks. I was looking at the IMAX B5, had lots of good reviews. I'm actually considering just going straight to lipo lol. If i go straight to lipo i don't have to get one of those discharge/balancing trays and it'll cost the same as Nimh! I'd just need a self balancing charger. Thanks for your suggestion.

Oh by the way, i'm thinking: Traxxas Slash, VXL Brushless system, Pro-match 2S 35C 5200Mah Lipo, and now that someone actually mentioned it... i guess one of those chinese chargers! And i'm going to immediately sell the XL-5 ESC / Titan 550 motor when i get it to save me some money.
Cheezburger is offline   Reply With Quote