Wiki Posts
Search

Aluminum Spur gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Aluminum Spur gear

Is there such a thing as an aluminum spur gear for a B44?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I doubt that there is. I have not seen any aluminum spurs for any car. Why would you want one for a spur?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My brother seems to go through quite a few of them. I just got my b44 a couple of weeks ago and it looks like it's getting chewed up now.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Make sure you have your gear mesh set properly. Also check your pinion for problems. You shouldn't be going through spurs that often.

I run a 4.5 motor and I rarely go through spur gears unless it's something I did wrong.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

That's DEFINATELY not the spur's fault. Check your slipper settings and your gear mesh. My guess would be that both are screwed up.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I see this question fairly frequently on various forums, asking for just about every RC out there. Bottom line is that for 1/10 scale there is no need for a metal spur and if you did use one, anything that would damage the spur would instead damage a more critical part that would be harder and more expensive to replace.

If you're going through a lot of spur gears it's almost certainly one of these things:

- Gear mesh. A common culprit here is motor mount screws that don't hold, so you might set your mesh well and have the motor slip on a hard landing.

- Inproper slipper settings. The idea of the slipper is to break loose momentarily if you have a sudden jolt on the drivetrain. Usually that comes from landing while hard on the throttle.

- Bad or dirty pinion. Some pinions are made of softer metal and the teeth will bend, chip, or become curved. Check that the pinion is clear of dirt and small rocks and that the teeth are still in proper shape.