R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 AM   #61
Tech Adept

I have tosay negative on the radio swaps guys, we would have to agree that a high end Tx would give a advantage over stock radio. Throttle curves, steering expo...the new guy with stock radio would be at a disadvantage. If the high end radios didnt give some sort of tuneability we would still be using the original Magnum jrs.! Not saying our rules are perfect but it works for our very family oriented track.
Two tone we have a huge class, we both have been in the hobby for quite awhile, hell I raced a PB Mini Mustang! I have now dedicated myself to having fun again, and getting more familys involved again. I have seen what has happened to the touring class and doing my best to make sure the Slash class stays FUN and AFFORDABLE to the new guy. The new guy should not have to think about dropping another 200 bucks to race against the local fast guys in the SPEC class, if the hotshoes want a spec class call it a Invitational spec class, maybe even bump the 3 time winner of the regular spec class up to that class, then it will be that persons chioce to spend more cash or sell his winning truck for top dollar(winner rides always fetch more!) and race some other class.
boyntoncyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:16 AM   #62

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

with out a radio upgrade or spektrum how do you get more then six to run together when there only 6 different channel avalibale, that must be a nitemare. And if a driver needs toi buy more chrystals those add up quick to. Now if they had a cheap spectrm radio like losi these would be an a+++. I don't think a single one at our track uses the stock radio. We run 10 at one time
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #63
Tech Regular

race with what ya got but when a 2.4ghz is maybe 80 dollars....
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #64
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

you can get 12 AM 27mhz channels, useing radio shack xmod crystals.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #65
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I have tosay negative on the radio swaps guys, we would have to agree that a high end Tx would give a advantage over stock radio. Throttle curves, steering expo...
Why would you need a throttle curve or expo on such an underpowered truck?

My desire to switch to a 2.4 rx is simple, I don't want to worry about turning on and screwing up someone else's truck nor do I want the same to happen to me.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

why allow the rest of the field to catch up after half way through??? whats the point?? we run 22 lap mains and w/ all the traffic its usually a pretty close race all the way through!!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #67
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro0619 View Post
why allow the rest of the field to catch up after half way through??? whats the point?? we run 22 lap mains and w/ all the traffic its usually a pretty close race all the way through!!
You got a point.
The full size guys do it tho.
Rolling starts are a blast for the racers and the spectators.
I guess it is just more of a fun level than a gotta win, get the lead and hold on deal. It's just different. Most run slash for fun. Not gonna win a sponsorship or anything like that by dominating in Slash class.
Kinda cool when the Sprint cars restart after a caution so it's sorta like that.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #68
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For the full size track position is huge. For Slash, it means much less, especially when things tend to get mixed up after a few corners anyway.

The cool thing about Slash spec is that someone totally new to the hobby can drop down fresh out of the box and race against a seasoned racer in the same class and everyone can have a lot of fun.

Given that this class has huge potential to bring in new blood to the hobby, I think the stock radio only rule would be a bad idea. Making a new racer worry about what channel he or she is on every race and making them swap them out every race is asking a little much, especially considering just coming out and racing as a newbie can be a bit overwhelming.

If you have that kind of time in your race day that's great, but where I race, that would slow things down tremendously. I think it's great that many of the slash racers are on other frequencies and that leaves the stock frequencies to the new guys. Once the new guys are RC addicted, a radio upgrade is probably one of the best investments they can make in the hobby anyway.

The difference in driving skill between new and seasoned racers will by far outweigh any difference that a high end transmitter will provide. If you are really worried about it, make a no EXP adjustment rule or something like that...I would be shocked if your seasoned racers will even need the high end features in Spec class.

CRCRC club administrator
Kyosho RB6, Kyosho ZX6, Kyosho SC6, Kyosho MP9e TKI
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #69
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default interesting

Crystals and brushed motors? I've been in this hobby for a year now and have never used either.

If the stock Slash is so fast why do you care what people do to theirs? The stocker are a lap down at our track from all other classes.

Have someone mod up their ride and see if it even helps!!!!!!!!!
uncle everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Whew, After reading all this I have come to a conclusion. OTE and Whiz have too much money, [or maybe I don't have enough]
Five boy, you know what you have to do. Run em stock except for radios.The only problem you will have is you won't be able to get your program done at a decent hour by starting racing at 6.00pm. Imagine 15-25 slashes on top of all the stadium trucks. How you plan to get it all in one evening? Kind of a nice problem to have tho!
Larry.
leerjet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #71
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We have a stock and Pro class where I race. Many of us race both. Some of us that race both change out motors from stock to mods or BL's, but the other guys dont do a damn thing and still win in the Pro class with their Stack trucks. Go figure-haha. Its cool though because the guys who want the track time can race 2 classes.
stock rules are:
everything is stock except:
steering servo, shock caps, lipos.
No tire cutting or siping

Pro class:
Have to use Slash specific tires but they can be from any MFG
danyak101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default Pay it forward R/C

Heres a concept for you all to consider.
After thinking about doing something like this for years, but always being discouraged by the time it would take to keep it running, I have just bought a stock slash for the purpose of lending it out to friends [those not yet in the hobby] Kind of a rent a racer thing. The slash is so darn durable I think I will have no problem doing this. In the time we have beat the heck out of ours only shock caps have popped off and spur gears have broken.
Now, imagine if even half the current racers would do something like this, invite a friend to give r/c a try. I think the numbers would have to increase.
My little way of giving something back to the hobby.
The slash is the greatest thing to happen to our hobby in a long time.
Larry.
leerjet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #73
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerjet1 View Post
Whew, After reading all this I have come to a conclusion. OTE and Whiz have too much money, [or maybe I don't have enough]
Five boy, you know what you have to do. Run em stock except for radios.The only problem you will have is you won't be able to get your program done at a decent hour by starting racing at 6.00pm. Imagine 15-25 slashes on top of all the stadium trucks. How you plan to get it all in one evening? Kind of a nice problem to have tho!
Larry.
Im 16 working a part time job with $100 a month(yes) car insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyak101 View Post
We have a stock and Pro class where I race. Many of us race both. Some of us that race both change out motors from stock to mods or BL's, but the other guys dont do a damn thing and still win in the Pro class with their Stack trucks. Go figure-haha. Its cool though because the guys who want the track time can race 2 classes.
stock rules are:
everything is stock except:
steering servo, shock caps, lipos.
No tire cutting or siping

Pro class:
Have to use Slash specific tires but they can be from any MFG
thats because even ig you put a 5.5 in a slash, you still can't get the power to the ground.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #74
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
You got a point.
The full size guys do it tho.
Rolling starts are a blast for the racers and the spectators.
I guess it is just more of a fun level than a gotta win, get the lead and hold on deal. It's just different. Most run slash for fun. Not gonna win a sponsorship or anything like that by dominating in Slash class.
Kinda cool when the Sprint cars restart after a caution so it's sorta like that.
Well I will tell you one thing about the rolling starts. The full-size guys may do it, but many of them don't like it. I was on a pit crew for a CORR team for several years when they were based mainly in the midwest and I am still involved in a couple of forums and still keep an eye on it. Many of the drivers felt the mid-race caution just artificially tightened the race up. And I will tell you from a spectator standpoint that the traditional "land rush" style starts are way more exciting than a rolling, two-wide start. Seeing trucks start out about a dozen trucks wide at Crandon or Bark River, then trying to funnel down into a corner that maybe can safely fit 3 is way more exciting than seeing the whole field "freight train" through the first corner at Pomona.
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

We tried the moto x/landrush start and altho the spectators loved it, ALL of the racers hated it. Way too much carnage and if you think Slashes can't break, try this type of start.
Our restarts are single file rolling, when put to a vote it is always chosen over regular grid starts and 5 minutes all out.
So 15 laps with a caution after 8 laps to regroup then a rolling restart single file is what we do.
Heck, I'm not even racing Slashes but I like it. Slashes are just too fun.
Not like another heat of the regular race trucks to sit thru while waiting to race buggy