R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #46
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

I think it goes for pretty much any form of motorsports, whether it be R/C cars, dirt bikes, go-karts, short track, drag racing, etc., or even something like paintball, skateboarding, or BMX bikes, if you're getting into it because it's cheap, you picked the wrong hobby.

If we're going to race R/C trucks as they come straight out of the box because it's cheaper, we might as well save ourselves a ton of money by racing Wal-Mart cars. The difference between those and hobby-grade cars is that you can tune, adjust, and modify them to suit your driving style and track conditions. Take that away and they become nothing more than expensive toys. This is a competitive hobby, if you aren't willing to do the work & spend the money to improve your performance, then maybe this isn't what you should be doing.
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #47
Tech Champion
 
Briguy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa , IL
Posts: 8,128
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy
Default

I agree for normal racing . Spec racing has nothing to do with what you say . It brings it all down to the driver , not who has the fattest wallet . Also people getting into the hobby don`t want to spend a fortune to see if they will even like it . Slash racing is a blast , especially the spec class .
__________________
At Your Service Vinyl Works
Royal R/C & Hobby
Leisure Hours Hobby & Raceway
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #48
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
I think it goes for pretty much any form of motorsports, whether it be R/C cars, dirt bikes, go-karts, short track, drag racing, etc., or even something like paintball, skateboarding, or BMX bikes, if you're getting into it because it's cheap, you picked the wrong hobby.

If we're going to race R/C trucks as they come straight out of the box because it's cheaper, we might as well save ourselves a ton of money by racing Wal-Mart cars. The difference between those and hobby-grade cars is that you can tune, adjust, and modify them to suit your driving style and track conditions. Take that away and they become nothing more than expensive toys. This is a competitive hobby, if you aren't willing to do the work & spend the money to improve your performance, then maybe this isn't what you should be doing.
Well the proof that you are completely out of touch is out there.

2 of the classes seeing largest growth- USVTA and Slash. Common denominator = low cost fun racing.

Some people will never get that others can go out, race and have fun without the need to spend a ton.

Incase you missed it, the Slash is an expensive toy. I've said this before. Two neighbors have seen my son and I out jumping these 4ft in the air cart wheeling and not breaking.

All they had to do was some simple math, $200 plus some batteries and a charger vs. how many 50-70 toy r us cars they've gone through.

You want full blown, money pit racing- have it- there are plenty of classes already out there for you.

Just because many of us don't want to break the bank to race toys- Yes there ALL toys, doesn't make us any less deserving of a class.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #49
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Also people getting into the hobby don`t want to spend a fortune to see if they will even like it
I'm not saying you have to spend a fortune to enjoy it, I'm saying don't show up on your first night with a bone stock truck and expect to win. Yanno what, it's competition. You're gonna lose. In fact, odds are you're gonna lose a lot more times than you'll win. Instead of throwing a hissy fit saying you lost because of equipment, decide for yourself if you'll have a future in this, and if so, work to improve your driving and your equipment.

A few months ago a friend invited me to meet him at open practice night at the Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI. As I'm sitting at work that day, it dawns on me, "Why the hell should I be spectating at open practice night?" So before going to the track I stopped at home, grabbed my motorcycle helmet, and an hour later I was rolling my 1998 Chevrolet S10 2WD with a 2.2L 4 cylinder through inspection. I made 4 passes and got my ass handed to me on every one. At something like [email protected] over the 1/4 mile, I was the slowest vehicle to hit the track that night. But I still had a lot of fun running my daily driver 4-banger light pickup truck down a real dragstrip and actually getting it timed. I also got to talk to a bunch of guys with real drag cars & shoot the breeze with 'em. Bottom line: I was the worst car there, but I still did better than all the people sitting on their butts in the grandstand doing nothing but watching when they could've been out there with me.

Now, if that experience had got me interested in drag racing 1:1 cars, the first thing I'd think of would be "what would it take for me, both financially and in my driving and mechanical skills, to get to those other guys' levels?". What some of you guys are talking about here would be like me walking up to everybody in the pits that night and telling them they're hurting the drag racing hobby because their cars had more money sunk into them than my little $4,000 pickup truck.
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #50
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Just because many of us don't want to break the bank to race toys- Yes there ALL toys, doesn't make us any less deserving of a class.
I'm not saying you have to break the bank to race, read my first post above and you'll see where an offroad newbie with a bone stock Slash kept up with my tuned-up rig. I'm saying that if you're not going to put any effort into the hobby, don't expect to get anything more out of it. If you want to win that badly, then you're gonna hafta work for it. Otherwise be happy with what you've got and where you're finishing, and I know plenty of people who're like that. They'll openly admit they've got no chance of winning, but they're having fun doing it regardless.
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #51
Tech Champion
 
Briguy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa , IL
Posts: 8,128
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
They'll openly admit they've got no chance of winning, but they're having fun doing it regardless.
That`s what this hobby is about , fun . Doesn`t matter if your a die hard racer who has a lot into rc or someone just wanting to race once and while . $2,000 or $200 whatever you want into it . Anyone that thinks they are losing because of the car/truck needs to come to realization .
__________________
At Your Service Vinyl Works
Royal R/C & Hobby
Leisure Hours Hobby & Raceway
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #52
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
That`s what this hobby is about , fun . Doesn`t matter if your a die hard racer who has a lot into rc or someone just wanting to race once and while . $2,000 or $200 whatever you want into it . Anyone that thinks they are losing because of the car/truck needs to come to realization .
Exactly!

If I finish ahead of you, instead of coming up to me afterwards with a pissy look on your face and say "you only won because you sunk more money into your truck," ask me, "Good race, how'd you get that thing so fast out there?!?" I'll be happy to teach you, hell I'll even help set up your truck for ya, honest. And whaddya know, now each of us has made a new friend.

a.k.a., "Fun"
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic
 
gndprx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 791
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
If I finish ahead of you, instead of coming up to me afterwards with a pissy look on your face and say "you only won because you sunk more money into your truck," ask me, "Good race, how'd you get that thing so fast out there?!?" I'll be happy to teach you, hell I'll even help set up your truck for ya, honest. And whaddya know, now each of us has made a new friend.

Now THAT is what this hobby is about. This is one of the best responses I've read in a long time.

Not just in Slash, but in all classes helping out others is one of the best ways to maintain racers week after week. If the slower guys never get any faster and nobody helps them to learn why (chassis setup, tire selection, driving tips, etc...) then they stop coming back.

The spec SLASH class has taken off faster than any I believe I have ever seen in recent years...followed by Vintage Touring (hey, another spec class). Keep them spec and it will continue to grow. Move the class away from spec and it will slowly die off.

And as mentioned previously, tech the top 3 after each run. It only takes about a minute for all 3 and move on with the race day.
__________________
Carl Fisher
Team Xtreme RC
The Grove Racing Center
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #54
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
What some of you guys are talking about here would be like me walking up to everybody in the pits that night and telling them they're hurting the drag racing hobby because their cars had more money sunk into them than my little $4,000 pickup truck.

Where do you get that? This is ONE class of racing, set to a spec vehicle. A lot of racing organizations have a spec you have to run. NASCAR, CORR, F1....they all have a limit to what you can or can't run. Those cars have to be built, parts bought, people payed, we just have the luxury to have it all come in a box ready to play. Were not saying don't run your full out powered trucks, were just saying this ONE CLASS can't have all your expensive additions..........you can run "mod slash" class if you want to do all that. Or race with the big boys in a full out elec 2wd class.
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #55
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

I think the real problem with this arguement is everybody's looking at it as either 100% spec or 100% open. I look at my truck as being a "limited" Slash, same as any 1:1 pavement short track in the country has a Limited Late Model class and a Super Late Model class. Sure it's got trick shocks, ultra-precise steering, big battery, and last night I bolted-in some aluminum spindles, C-hubs, and rear axle carriers from STRC. But the two big things, the motor and the tires, I left stock.

I support this kind of "limited" racing, same as before I picked up the Slash all I ever raced was Stock Truck. Put a cap on the biggest performance factors and the learning curve for the class begins to flatten out. Stock Truck was fun because while the big players maintained their spots on the top of the pile, it's not like everybody else was miles behind them. And at any time one of them could put a little more work into their trucks and make a move on the A-Main guys.

The result is that nobody's spending huge money on motors & tires, the fast guys are fast because they know what they're doing, and the slow guys can easily become fast by talking to the fast guys & learning from them. Is it the cheapest thing out there? No. Is it the fastest thing out there? No. But you do learn a lot more about car setup & driving technique, & even if you don't have huge coin to spend, you've still got at the very least a shot at a decent finish.
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #56
Tech Addict
 
henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gladstone, MI
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
I think it goes for pretty much any form of motorsports, whether it be R/C cars, dirt bikes, go-karts, short track, drag racing, etc., or even something like paintball, skateboarding, or BMX bikes, if you're getting into it because it's cheap, you picked the wrong hobby.

If we're going to race R/C trucks as they come straight out of the box because it's cheaper, we might as well save ourselves a ton of money by racing Wal-Mart cars. The difference between those and hobby-grade cars is that you can tune, adjust, and modify them to suit your driving style and track conditions. Take that away and they become nothing more than expensive toys. This is a competitive hobby, if you aren't willing to do the work & spend the money to improve your performance, then maybe this isn't what you should be doing.
Well the issue at hand isn't money per se. When you look at full-size forms of motorsports there are entry-level divisions and there are mid-level and high-level divisions.

When someone potentially new to the hobby comes in, it is much harder for them to justify large amounts of dollar expenditure on toy cars. However if there was a less expensive division it is more justifiable to a newcomer to get into the sport. Think, accessibility

If a Slash or any other spec-type class is allowed open electronics, tires, what-have-you. Then the whole point of the class is defeated. Because then when you allow all these other things it drives the cost of the class closer to the cost of the existing classes.

I mean lets say you went to your local stock car track and a street-stock cost as much as a late model nobody would race street stock.

Entry level divisions are necessary for any sport to prosper. Successful sports on a large scale are built from the bottom up not the top down.
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #57
Tech Champion
 
whitrzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 5,750
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

I'll shut up now, The missle can take over for me, he's doing a better job...

Quote:
I think the real problem with this arguement is everybody's looking at it as either 100% spec or 100% open. I look at my truck as being a "limited" Slash, same as any 1:1 pavement short track in the country has a Limited Late Model class and a Super Late Model class. Sure it's got trick shocks, ultra-precise steering, big battery, and last night I bolted-in some aluminum spindles, C-hubs, and rear axle carriers from STRC. But the two big things, the motor and the tires, I left stock.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #58
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
When someone potentially new to the hobby comes in, it is much harder for them to justify large amounts of dollar expenditure on toy cars. However if there was a less expensive division it is more justifiable to a newcomer to get into the sport. Think, accessibility
That's why whenever I go out bashing in a public park and an onlooker asks me the inevitable question, "How much does that cost?", I always stop them & explain that I've been doing this for awhile & have a lot put into my trucks. Then I tell them that (using exact words here) if you want to get into this hobby, figure about $200-250, give or take. That gets you a bottom-level RTR truck, a budget charger, and a battery or two. It won't be a rocket ship, but it's something simple and easy to get started with.

I especially make a point about this whenever I'm out with my nitro truck or my 6x6 E-Maxx. I could easily tell them that they're looking at an $800 truck, I've got 4 more cars at home that are worth between $300-600 each, and a box of tools and equipment that easily goes into the thousands, but that'll send 'em running for the hills. Instead of giving them the "fantasy" answer for how much I personally spend on R/C, I take the "realistic" approach by explaining to them what it takes to get started.

And as for racing, like I said before with a "limited" rules package, that same person could show up at the track and get 2 of 4 possible outcomes:

#1: They're a total newbie with a baseline truck and they finish dead last. Depending on the person, they could either decide this isn't their cup of tea and back out, or they could remind themselves they are a total newbie with a baseline truck and they've got a lot to learn.

#2: They've got some driving skill, but admittedly are held back by the equipment. In a limited class, I've seen top-notch drivers with junkyard trucks make the A-Main, even on a regular basis. Trust me, it's unlikely to happen to anyone but it is possible.

Outcome #3 happens when you've got a lousy driver with a high-dollar truck. This is kinda like slot car oval racing on the outside lane; just stand on it and ride the fence all the way around. The equipment's purely responsible for any success, you might pass a few guys by bouncing off the pipes nonstop, but you're not gonna win anytime soon.

Outcome #4 is a good driver with a well-off car. They win almost every week, and deserve to. They put up the time, effort, and some money, and got the most out of all of it.
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #59
Tech Champion
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,103
Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
I could easily tell them that they're looking at an $800 truck, I've got 4 more cars at home that are worth between $300-600 each...
Thats dirt cheap! My "stock" rc10b4 would cost over $850 if everything was bought new

Slash spec racing is the greatest thing to hit offroad in a while and will bring many in if the cost is kept down.
__________________
www.kriostasis.com
Krio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #60
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

At OCRC in So Cal they have Stock Slash (all the same rules) and Slash Open/Open Slash (sounds medieval huh?) anything goes.
A Stock Slash usually wins when they run together. The laps times show the same results when they are separated.
The Open Slashes are a handful and very fun, funny to watch flyin around.

One of the racers suggested that we run the Slashes like the real CORR trucks.
No time limit, instead 15 lap limit.
After 8 laps, about half the race, they call a caution when the leader crosses the finish line which allows the rest of the field to catch up again for a restart.
They they idle around the track til they reach the straight again and then it's GREEN, GREEN, GREEN. GO BABY GO! And they race again til lap 15.
Some of the best racing of the night every night.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder RC Raceway - Nashville TN nashrcracer Georgia Racing 110 04-23-2013 08:59 PM
Chicago Area Electric Racing Talk chicagokenji Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 357 04-22-2011 09:40 AM
SLASH CLASS LOVE IT HATE IT? li racer Electric Off-Road 475 05-21-2010 10:34 PM
Idea's for changes to the 2009 JBRL series J-Mal Electric Off-Road 60 12-09-2008 03:16 PM
Racing your Slash 1995_corvette Electric Off-Road 15 12-05-2008 11:12 AM
Which one to buy slash or losi desert truck? washracer Electric Off-Road 36 06-27-2008 03:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net