For those of you with a Slash class....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Whit
You are just plain missing the point. Your set of rules would kill the Slash faster than anything else.

The Slash works as a spec class cause it's cheap.

The minute you change that, people might as well run in the other classes they already run in.
Exactly.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

LOL you're the one that said if it didn't come in the box... that goes for radio too.
Actually boyntonecyclone said that....

But I do agree, there is no reason to dis-allow a reciever swap. There is no performance advantage. AM/FM are dying and nearly completely dead as far as R/C racing goes... 95% of the racers are running a 2.4 system of some sort. It's mainly an interference issue, not a desire for more performance.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Our rules are simple and the turn out gets lager every week. We average 20+ every week.

Stock tires.
Stock motor.
Stock ESC.
Any radio.
Any 7.4 lipo
Any sub-c 6 cell.
Any servo.
All bodies have to be for a slash and cover wheels.

The most important rule is to remember rubbing is racing.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

at my local track, the rules are pretty "loose". I see different tires, motors, batteries, set ups...etc...

Funny how a box stock truck wins almost every week. So one weekend I pulled the trigger and dropped in my Mamba system, upgraded the shocks, bolted up current race tires....guess what? After the first qualifier, I pulled it all out and went to a stock 27T motor. Truck ran awesome and I beat all the other Mod Slashes out that night. BUT...I was beat by a box stock truck...LOL.

Something about these trucks just doesnt like more power (racing talk here, for bashing, strap in however much power you want). They are fine as they are out of the box. When I get off my lazy butt, I will send in my stock speedo to be replaced and drop the Titan back in there. The only modification I am going to leave on the truck will be the Traxxas Big Bore shocks. Using stock springs I may add. Truck works fine, and my lap times are VERY close to stock truck/stock buggy, usually within 10ths of a second of the top few positions.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Regular

Here we go again with slash spec or box stock IMO this truck is real "Driver's Class" Last race I had a 2 cell lipo and a mamba 7700 kv and I was racing in an onroad track with jumps and guess what I lost to box stock because i can't put down 75% of my power sure it's really fast but it actually proves that slow is faster. What really makes this truck really fun to drive is the tires and body. Stock tires can only handle so much power then it would start spinning. Body is the reason no.2 it's top heavy. I really think they should allow alternative motor and ESC like 17.5 brushless or machine wound 27 turn motor because anything more than stock is pretty much useless but doing this will probably stop a lot of new racers thinking that they would have to spent more money to be competitive. That is just the mentallity in reality it would take a lot practice and knowing how your truck will react to a given situation. For someone like me I was a hard core basher then I start racing maybe six months ago I really like the idea of almost maintenance free bushless motors I didn't want to clean the motor every heat I've been there, for some that's one of the trill of racing for a lazy like me I would rather charge and race maybe change a gear or oil. That's my 2 cents..
Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chrisfrom619
Here we go again with slash spec or box stock IMO this truck is real "Driver's Class" Last race I had a 2 cell lipo and a mamba 7700 kv and I was racing in an onroad track with jumps and guess what I lost to box stock because i can't put down 75% of my power sure it's really fast but it actually proves that slow is faster. What really makes this truck really fun to drive is the tires and body. Stock tires can only handle so much power then it would start spinning. Body is the reason no.2 it's top heavy. I really think they should allow alternative motor and ESC like 17.5 brushless or machine wound 27 turn motor because anything more than stock is pretty much useless but doing this will probably stop a lot of new racers thinking that they would have to spent more money to be competitive. That is just the mentallity in reality it would take a lot practice and knowing how your truck will react to a given situation. For someone like me I was a hard core basher then I start racing maybe six months ago I really like the idea of almost maintenance free bushless motors I didn't want to clean the motor every heat I've been there, for some that's one of the trill of racing for a lazy like me I would rather charge and race maybe change a gear or oil. That's my 2 cents..

I agree with him...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

UN4RACING , what`s with the X over the American Flag in your avatar ?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
I agree with him...
Well you can agree, but I've been in RC for a long time.

You can tell new driver that the go fast parts don't matter, but it's all perception.

The new person or kid is going to see all the bling on your cars and if you beat them, no amount of advice about driving skill is going to keep them going out and buying the same stuff you have.

Then, you'll still bet them or worse then they lose to a stock truck get frustrated and go back to bashing.

I think most that have seen the stock/spec class come and go have seen this.

Honestly, the Slash spec class and USVTA is what brought me back to racing.

To bad no 'national' org has set up for slashes like USVTA
Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Well you can agree, but I've been in RC for a long time.

You can tell new driver that the go fast parts don't matter, but it's all perception.

The new person or kid is going to see all the bling on your cars and if you beat them, no amount of advice about driving skill is going to keep them going out and buying the same stuff you have.

Then, you'll still bet them or worse then they lose to a stock truck get frustrated and go back to bashing.

I think most that have seen the stock/spec class come and go have seen this.

Honestly, the Slash spec class and USVTA is what brought me back to racing.

To bad no 'national' org has set up for slashes like USVTA
whats "bling" about a stock brushless and some RPM parts? thats all I'm asking for...
Old 11-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Your missing the point about a spec class .
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Briguy
Your missing the point about a spec class .
I know what a spec class is, I just don't think we should have one with the stock titan, any other motor, but not the titan.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last week Friday I was clocking laps with my Slash and another guy. I noticed that if it weren't for his crashing more than I did, we were actually running nose to tail all the way around. So after the run I talked to him. Check THIS out:

Me
Been racing offroad 2WD electric trucks for 8 years
My Slash is running Associated shocks & springs I stole from my old FT RC10T4, red springs in front and a thrown-together dual rate spring setup made from Associated Gold front springs and Trinity blue touring car springs in back. I'm running the stock Titan 12T 550 motor, stock ESC, but a TrakPower 4900mAh 2S1P LiPo. Futaba 3PM FASST 2.4GHz radio. Steering servo is a ballistically fast digital Futaba, can't remember the number offhand but it's got something like an .08 transit time, and I swapped the stock servo saver for a Kimbrough #124, a servo saver that's designed to be used on 1/4 scale cars. Body is a New Era Racing Fastback. I've got a homemade aluminum front hingepin brace and a plastic rear skidplate that covers up the "tubing" that braces the bottom of the rear end to the chassis.

Him
Picked up offroad about half a month ago
Truck's bone-stock other than the Futaba 3PK radio system.
Running Venom 3300mAh NiMH stick packs
That's it.

My take on it: The motor makes the biggest difference, everything else is gravy
Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Whit
You are just plain missing the point. Your set of rules would kill the Slash faster than anything else.

The Slash works as a spec class cause it's cheap.

The minute you change that, people might as well run in the other classes they already run in.
+100%
Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

Spec keeps the truck competitive at around $260 (truck, charger, and batts).

I race w/ both of my sons in Slash. W/o that entry price we might not be racing today.

Allow tires, shocks, brushless + ESC, servos, etc. and the truck will run $600-$700, easy.

Keeping it cheap and realistic is good for track owners, stores, and other racers.

Besides, this truck isn't designed for 40+ mph.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Stock tires
Stock Body
Any battery
Keep it fun, they don't care aslong as they are all close. I run mine stock besides a lipo and its fast enough for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.