R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Looking at a XXX-CR setup...

I have picked through the CR thread, but all those guys are going full out right away! I want a nice radio/servo/esc setup....but not spend an absolute fortune on it. I realize a few hundred i easy to spend....I see futaba has quite a few radios for around 100 bucks...

What motor....for a stock class, or a mid level class. If I were to load up with my freshly built truck, not changing a thing....what should I be looking at?

good ESC????
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20805

good radio????
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6153

but what motor???
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can get by with just an ESC that is 15 turns. To name a few brands, Duratrax, Novak, LRP, and there is some other ones I am missing. For a motor for stock class definitly get the co27 pro. The radio is ok for starting out racing.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

The radio will be descent enough but I`d get a better ESC . Also , when buying brushless it`s cheaper to buy a combo instead separately .

For running 19T class with brushess - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14442

For mod - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14156

For 19T w/ brushless a step up with no motor limit - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12842

For Mod - A step up to a system which has no motor limit - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5790

Some guys run LRP Sphere ESCs with Novak motors , but the cost is higher .

It really depends on how much you want to spend and going brushed is an option but won`t be much cheaper .

For brushed stock Co27 Pro , 19T Team Checkpoint money motor , Mod Team Checkpoint 14-11 turn depending on track and driver .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Tech Regular

if i can get a brushless system for relatively the same cost...i may as well. longer run times/less maintenance.... right?

And when you say "decent enough"...... what does that mean? Also, is possible to run more than one car off of that radio, or a 2.4 ghz system in general....

that first combo for the 19t/brushless. if i went that route....i would only have to buy a diff motor if I wanted to up the class right? it says 8.5t brushless limit....
Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Don`t get me wrong , it`s a good radio for the price . That radio has a 2 model memory , so you can program two different cars to it . Yes you can change motors up to 8.5 .
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Tech Regular

well if i ever need a 7.5 for offroad...ill be in so deep i wont mind throwin this in a touring car and jumpin off the deep end LOL

thanks for the help. i hope i can get this ordered first of the month and get some racing time in next spring.

do you know if the car is "assembled" or if its a bag of parts....im hoping the latter

oh and one other thing....battery really depends on track rules huh?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well i personally am running a completely Losi setup. with the exception of the radio and reciever. I picked up the Losi 13.5 sensored brushless combo. part number losb9555. i love the set up. has great power. the tuning software is excellent. it even has enough power that i can run the same lap times and keep up with the modd buggy class at our local track. also running the losi 5000mah lipo too. i picked up a used spektrum 2.0 to begin with and a used reciever. All pro quality stuff on a backyard bashers budget. Ive yet to come across a complete higher end system with the same results. If your a losi guy i challenge you to go for it. one would be surprised to what a losi can actually do.

any way have fun and if you have any questions about set up feel free to let me know. ill gladly help.
spike240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Tech Champion

It is a kit and needs to be built , but is really easy if you follow the directions . For lipo , most tracks require hard cased lipos and a lipo sack . I run Orion lipos and they are great . You can get them at a good price from stormerhobbies.com or Dinball on ebay which sells two for a great price . Think Maxamps has a good sale going on also .
Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Tech Regular

to the guy running all losi.....

i'm not really a "losi guy"....just what i've seen a lot talked about. it's between that and the associate b4 buggy. also i have this thing about used stuff in general...you never really know the history behind it as it's being sold for some reason other than it's not needed anymore....they just tell ya that. i could be way off base.....but air on the side of caution.

as for lipo, at first i want to run NiMH...get my driving better, on a little slower of a car. plus i already have a brain 969 charger......so it's saving me money that really doesnt HAVE to be spent right now. i can save a little while and get the good stuff
Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I dunno i wouldn't skimp, buy once. i know it's a nut to shell out but in the end all you will be doing is buying tires.

i would get a nice esc and a nice radio off the bat or buy a used dx2 or dx3. That radio is not so good. such a old design with 2.4ghz which is not even the pro or the new dsm2 or fasst.

You have so many options. Figure out what class you wanna run. Sphere comp with novak 10.5 is a great combo.

All in all if your serious and wanna get competitive then look towards buying the right components once. The steering servo..... again very important. You want fast !!!! I see the new orion servo is out and pretty good for 85.00
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Tech Champion

well if you go to lipo you want to get a different charger . Many Lipo manufactures say not to use a Super Brain chager .
Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I myself am a Spektrum fan and have a DX3R. If you are looking for a better "Race Ready" Radio for a good price this may be the ticket http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGB0&P=0
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I myself am a Spektrum fan and have a DX3R. If you are looking for a better "Race Ready" Radio for a good price this may be the ticket http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGB0&P=0
Yes, but that radio does not have exponential and the airtronics reciever are 100 bucks.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Tech Champion

I love my KO Helios and wouldn`t give it up for anything .
The DX3R does have exponential according to Spektrum .
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Yes, but that radio does not have exponential and the airtronics reciever are 100 bucks.
It has ARC and I believe that is what Airtronics considers expo.

If you are referrimg to the DX3R it has expo. The DX2.0 and 3.0 do not
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote