Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what has losi become....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have never owned or raced a losi but I think the "harm" to the racing pedigree was just manufactured by all the speculators on the net. While they did downsize their race team on the regional level most of the top drivers just left on their own. They have since picked up drivers. As far as putting out rtr's, like its been said, just making money off the losi name for the quality and prestige of the name. As for making new race kits, the nitro area speaks for itself, its doing well. For the electric side, which most of this disussion is about, its still just fine. The CR is around 2 1/2 years old, CRT is just over 2 years. The Rb5 is right at 2 years, the B4/T4 are going on 6!! In that time ae has released atleast 2/3 the amount of rtr's, with the B44 being the only race kit released. Yet no one is worried about ae and the b4/t4 are almost 3 times as old as the CR's. With the XXX4 being the only needed upgrade, I think the race area is just fine. In the right hands all the Losi cars are still very capable. All this coming from a long time losi hater and ae fan.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aeRayls
I have never owned or raced a losi but I think the "harm" to the racing pedigree was just manufactured by all the speculators on the net. While they did downsize their race team on the regional level most of the top drivers just left on their own. They have since picked up drivers. As far as putting out rtr's, like its been said, just making money off the losi name for the quality and prestige of the name. As for making new race kits, the nitro area speaks for itself, its doing well. For the electric side, which most of this disussion is about, its still just fine. The CR is around 2 1/2 years old, CRT is just over 2 years. The Rb5 is right at 2 years, the B4/T4 are going on 6!! In that time ae has released atleast 2/3 the amount of rtr's, with the B44 being the only race kit released. Yet no one is worried about ae and the b4/t4 are almost 3 times as old as the CR's. With the XXX4 being the only needed upgrade, I think the race area is just fine. In the right hands all the Losi cars are still very capable. All this coming from a long time losi hater and ae fan.
I tend to agree with you. I don't see how Losi's prestige has been harmed at all. Sure, a handful of racers don't like the direction Horizon Hobbies is going with their Losi brand, but an R/C company needs to be all inclusive and constantly need to get more and more people into R/C. I think the business model is working considering Losi keeps adding more and more products to their line. They wouldn't do that unless they thought it made sense. As for adding new, updated kits to their 1/10 scale lineup I don't think that is necessary outside of the 4x4 buggy. One of the things that helps a company that manufactures anything make a profit is economy of scale. An r/c company can't always make a complete re-design every several years.

And with the whole re-using of the XXX chassis for various other Losi products (i.e. Speed T and Desert Truck). Again that goes back to economy of scale. As another poster alluded to, auto companies do it all the time because it makes business sense. And Losi, I am sure manages to sell enough of the previously mentioned to make it worth their while to re-market a proven product.

So in essence what Losi has become (as least since I've been involved in the hobby). Is a co. that used to specialize in racing only equipment but has now become a co. that has become somewhat all-encompassing in the R/C hobby. And that isn't so bad
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls
...the B4/T4 are going on 6!!
That means they got it right the first time Look how long they stuck with the original GT