R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #76
Tech Master

^^ That's it right there. It's all about business.

As has been said soooo many times before, they're in it to make money, not be friends! Hell, I don't go to work every day for free because I want people to have a nice office to work in when it's built. I go to work to get paid!

Losi are just doing the flip of Tamiya, which is fine. Tamiya made a killing off budget cars for the masses, then started getting into racing, which is great. Losi started with race cars, then started making "toys" which adds revenue to fund their race cars.

Anyone who thinks they are gone is playing with themselves. They've just been busy with 1/8 electric for a bit, and looked what they pulled out. Can't wait for them to get back into 1/10 again!

BTW, I ain't a Losi lover. I run a B4. Just like seeing RC companies making money, because it means they will be around for longer
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #77
Tech Addict

I don't think anyone is contesting the fact that RTR's can make money, Though I do wonder if Losi's RTR's have enough market share to make it worth harming the race pedigree.

That aside, seeing as it was mentioned,Tamiya kits have been raced from day one. The japs have always made a huge range with one or two models nominated as the race kits. (the reality check came when someone arrived at the track with an early first generation RC10 and spanked every car on the track...1984 was a great year to be racing RC)

Kyosho at one time had much the same idea.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #78
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metla View Post
I don't think anyone is contesting the fact that RTR's can make money, Though I do wonder if Losi's RTR's have enough market share to make it worth harming the race pedigree.
Traxxas ans Tamiya showed there is plenty of market share and losi wants their cut . Harming the race pedigree ? How exactly are they doing that ?
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

One thing that I have not read from these posts is that people forget that Traxxas started out as an all out competition RC car manufacturer (TRX-1; National Champion? Blue Eagle LS?) who made a name for themselves in the first few years of their exsistence. I remember Traxxas used to made RC10 Stealth and Losi buggies a run for their money. I think they are the first company who realized that their major fan base does not really race that much; rather, they bashed more.

I see the arguments both ways. I think the core fans of Losi who collect and race would rather see their favorite brand stick to the core then spread their wings into other ventures. We are hurt to see that Losi (more like Horizon Hobby) decided to drop the core all together and ventured into the broarder audience.

Basically WE ARE BEGGING for Horizon Hobby to not forget their core fans and keep bringing fresh racing stuff, too, especially 1/10 Electric Buggy and Truck cars.

(wait...I don't even own a losi lol!!!)

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #80
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I think the masses of losi drivers out there are afraid that losi will follow 100% in traxxas's footsteps and quit producing kits alltogether.That would be a total shame!! Traxxas may have led the industry in the RTR craze, but they alienated alot of loyal racers in doing so. Just now are we seeing traxxas paying attention to the race world again with the e-revo, revo platinum,and of course the slash. If they were EVER coing to produce competition grade 2wd trucks and buggies again now would be the right time, so they could take those racers they hooked with the slash class and give them a competitive 2 wheel product to move up to and still stick with the traxxas brand.I really dont think there is anything to fear in losi jumping on the RTR band wagon,BUT when you look at a losi ad right now it's like" look at all these cool mini's and monster trucks and 1/8 cars " and over in a small corner it's like"oh, and we have some cool 1/10 electric race stuff also." So I can see where some of the losi electric guys are like whats up with this crap??? Especially the ones who have given years of loyalty to the brand out on the race track.All I know is it would be a shame to lose one of the top manufacturers of 1/10 electric gear if the bean counters decide that it's not profitable to be involved in 1/10 electric anymore. And I also dont run losi.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #81
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Traxxas ans Tamiya showed there is plenty of market share and losi wants their cut . Harming the race pedigree ? How exactly are they doing that ?
So, do Losi have their cut?

I have no idea, hence why I was musing, No doubt you have no idea either.

As to point two, This thread and the other 50 just like it are perfect examples of the damage done to the race pedigree.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Well, all of Losi's 1/8 buggies\Truggies are now "race rollers" except for the 1st edition 8ight....and that's prob only around for a little while longer

Losi 1/10th scale are still kits.....maybe it's what the current demand is?

I don't think it really matters to most racers, if they have to put it together initially, or it comes as a roller. Losi (aka Horizon Hobbies) prob assume most 1/8 nitro guys are just looking for a new chassis to drop their gear in and go....

If it makes you feel better, take it all apart, and put it back together once before you go to the track
Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #83
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Remember that poll on losi's website? If you were considerign buying a race car, would you prefer race roller or kit, or doesnt matter? Looks like race roller won. So they did what the people wanted.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #84
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Losi can do what they want, as long as there is still a Team Losi. As long as I can buy Team Losi parts to continue to beat the snot out of the AE cars, I will keep running them. When I started 7 years ago at my local track there were 10 losi cars for every 1 ae. Now theres 10 other cars for every losi. I personally know a couple of former Losi drivers that were cut in the team downsize a few years ago. THAT was a big mistake on losi's (horizon's) part.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #85
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warlock View Post
Losi can do what they want, as long as there is still a Team Losi. As long as I can buy Team Losi parts to continue to beat the snot out of the AE cars, I will keep running them. When I started 7 years ago at my local track there were 10 losi cars for every 1 ae. Now theres 10 other cars for every losi. I personally know a couple of former Losi drivers that were cut in the team downsize a few years ago. THAT was a big mistake on losi's (horizon's) part.
Actually the company name is LOSI instead of TEAM LOSI. They changed the name a couple years ago.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #86
Tech Elite

I started running losi back when the JRx2 first came out. It was new, and different from everything else.....

I can't stand driving a cookie cutter AE vehicles that everyone has identical setups on.....figure out what works best yourself...

Maybe I'll build myself a mid-motor 5-link suspension stadium truck....
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Actually the company name is LOSI instead of TEAM LOSI. They changed the name a couple years ago.
Yet all the boxes still say "Team Losi" all over them....
Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #88
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Actually there is Losi and then Team Losi .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #89
Tech Master

Then why did they change their website's name?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I think it is jut Losi now but who really cares. There is no rc company out there today that just make performance race bread kits. All rc companies either make other items or are owned by a company that does and there is nothing wrong with that.

When Losi was owned by Losi the company wasn't their only source of income. They had their hands into skateboarding, they owned or own Veriflex,
They used to have Losi skates, I had one as a teen, and I think Pops Losi was into other ventures as well. The point is they had other avenues of cash flow and weren't solely dependent on the RC company. There has never been a lot of money to make in this hobby as evident by many of the after market, motor, and battery companies. Many of these companies are ran out of garages and they just make enough money to still have to work a 9 to 5.

I for one am glad we have RTR's as it has helped revive the off road scene for 1/10 scale electric. I have been running than race program at Pegasus for almost two years now and have scene it go from 2 mixed heats a night to almost 8 full heats. Most of the new racers start of with RTR's and learn how to wrench on them in the pits. Nothing wrong with that! Everyone is not the same and some of use are a little more mechanically inclined than others. Does that mean they cant still race? I remember back before there were RTR's there were a bunch of people who had to have their kits built for them. I used to make some pretty good cash doing that back in the late 80's early 90's. everything is OK at Losi and they will continue to prduce quality race bread vehicles.