R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Need help

im goin to build a rc buggy im stuck between
associated b5 or koysho ultima rb5
help me choose between the two if u had any experience the two can u tell me if u had any problems or which u perfer

for parts.
motor : team losi excerlorin combo
radio controller : spektrum dx2.0
battery : 7 cell or 6 cell not sure yet

is the losi motor good?

will this be a decent setup for goin on a mild track a couple times a month if have any slight improvements that arent costly that will be great
dsmtih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmtih View Post
im goin to build a rc buggy im stuck between
associated b5 or koysho ultima rb5
Associted dosent have a b5 they have a b4, but any way i have been around the b4's the most so i would say b4. But the shocks on the b4 are really good but not as smooth at the RB5's. They both are good buggys, i have a b4 and love it. Its your call what ever you want, they both are REALLY good buggy's so its your call.
porkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Suggest sticking with a 6 cell battery, or better yet a 2s lipo. With today's brushless stuff that's plenty for track running, and legal if you want to race.

First hop up for any offroad ride is the correct tires. Ask around at your track.

Suggest not starting with the fastest motor, start a little on the mild side and work on driving. Can always pick up a faster motor later. Losi is fine best I can tell. Oh, if you have any plans to ever try racing, recommend you go with a sensored system, better starting and low speed control, fully legal for stock classes.

Good luck!
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

novak motors and the b4 buggy. i dont like the rb5 just because of the screws. i heard the rb5 is a great buggy and is starting to gain popularity at our track. get lipo! lipo is worth every penny but nimh is good to start.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

do your research on both buggies, find out which one is easier for your to get spare parts for and the $$$ that spares would cost.

Also i fully agree with the others in terms of lipo. Just went to lipo myself and they are absolutely brilliant. If you are new to racing, especially with the brushless and a rear wheel drive car, go the slower motor to learn with, you will need to get your skills up before going faster

have fun.
CMB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

I would personally pick the B4 only because of part supply. You can go to almost any track and find either b4 or t4's. They are a very common and if you happen to break something....someone will have a replacement part for you. Very durable, easy to build and rebuild. Put a 13.5 brushless if they allow you in your stock class with a 2S lipo. Great combination and make sure to gear it properly, plenty of speed.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg RC View Post
I would personally pick the B4 only because of part supply. You can go to almost any track and find either b4 or t4's. They are a very common and if you happen to break something....someone will have a replacement part for you. Very durable, easy to build and rebuild. Put a 13.5 brushless if they allow you in your stock class with a 2S lipo. Great combination and make sure to gear it properly, plenty of speed.
remember, some tracks stock class is 17.5 so dont go buy a 13.5 and end up selling it for a 17.5
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Rb5 will probably be easier to drive, at least that is what i hear around my local track. More rear end traction, but dont get me wrong the b4 is a good buggy, but if i had to do it all over i would pick the rb5, quality of parts are higher, shocks are smoother and easier to build and the diff is better. As long as your local track or hobby shop sells parts for them then you should be fine. It would also be a good idea to make sure people are running them at your track and see how they like them and ask them if they could help you on your set-up if you were to buy one. The B4 may be a little bit more capable in the right hands though.