R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default B4 vs XX4

Hey guys,

I'm currently running a B4 and have just started racing. The track I race at is not very electric friendly (mainly nitro), and so the B4 is a handful.

I have a possibility of swapping my car for a xx4, but not sure about it. What is the xx4 like for durability? And, more importantly, how does it handle on the rough stuff?

My racing is VERY low-key. Just starting out, so no need for the latest and greatest.

The other consideration, is that I have a LOT of spares for the car. The xx4 doesn't have many. Are the parts still readily available?

Cheers for the help.
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

parts for the xx4 are still available. However, the 4wd will not make you a better driver so by going from your 2wd to your 4wd your cost will go up due to breakage and pure maintenance on the car. I say stick with a 2wheel. It will force you to drive better.
wayboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Though not the most forgiving for breaking parts and lax maintenance, a well tuned and set up XX4 is about the easiest car to drive out there especially on a rough track but there is one problem. I think its a problem you will encounter with any 4wd for that matter. Driving 4wd most if not all the time tends to make you very lazy as a driver. You will probably miss learning alot of the skills you will need if you never have to deal with learning to drive a 2wd car. Maybe a suggestion considering you are running on a rough track is to try a JConcepts J82 conversion or a T4 as it will handle the rough better and still allow you to learn the skills you need.

"Dudes on the left for hi-fives, girls on the right for making out!"
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Perhaps you should look at a T4....as the larger truck tires handle the 1/8 buggy torn-up track better....and most of your spare parts I think should fit this truck....
Old 11-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

assuming your track is 1/8 scale nitro oriented, a T4 may be a better choice for you. You will still have some rough track issues, and end up driving up over some jumps that the 1/8 scale buggies clear. just the nature of 1/10 on a 1/8 scale track. However, if you are up to it, you can give 1/8 scale brushless a look.

You will get the ease of electric, and the durability and track handling of a 1/8 scale buggy.

there is a good variety of conversions out there, as well as a two factory kits out too, with the Caster Fusion being pretty cheap for the money.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Tech Master

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I wasn't really looking to buy a new vehicle, just had this opportunity for a swap. If I was going to buy a new vehicle, it would probably be a T4, as the B4 is a great vehicle to drive, just a bit fragile.

So, anyone still drive XX4's? Not interested in comparing to XXX's or B44's, as we just have a mixed electric field, so it's anything goes
Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Tech Adept

we have had a couple of xx4's come out, mostly b44's are running now. i run a xxx4, got used to it so parts are not much of a problem now. the other posts are right about driving skills, they come slower for 4wd. i still run 2wd gas truck at our club race and use those skills to make the 4wd go faster. electric stadium trucks are nice too, the T4 or xxx tcr are both great trucks, there are others out there, look at your parts supply at the LHS to help with your decision. i stayed with a losi mostly due to lots of parts. drove a new CAT SX on friday, that is a great buggy, responsive, quick, looks good, everything my losi is and better! helps if it is the factory driver's car too!

if i had to choose between new cars now, i think i would go with electric stadium truck, more durable, bigger classes most of the time and alot of fun to drive.
way2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
T as the B4 is a great vehicle to drive, just a bit fragile.
If your having problems breaking parts in the b4 then it might be you. I have broken many parts... its plactic its going to do that, but i have had my a-arms on for almost 2 months.
porkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkey View Post
If your having problems breaking parts in the b4 then it might be you. I have broken many parts... its plactic its going to do that, but i have had my a-arms on for almost 2 months.
Dam straight !
Old 11-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Tech Master

^^ Oh, it is me, no doubt. I'm breaking it because i'm learning. Not breaking it much, however, but I point back to my original post that started this, where i'm LEARNING to race on an 8th Nitro track. I know seasoned racers may see this as no problem, but for starting out in racing, it is.

There is no LHS in Wellington, New Zealand. There are only about 5 reputable ones in the whole country that support RC racing. I get parts from a local guy at the track (limited at the moment, but I use him as much as I can), or buy from the US and HK.

I have just found out that there is VERY LITTLE Losi support in NZ, so, it is looking increasingly against the XX4. Unless of course, they are solid. If heard lots of ranting on here that the Losi's break easier than the AE cars. Is that so?

With all due respect, I don't want any comments like "well, if you hit a wall at full speed anything will break", because I don't do that. I'm 32 years old and although i'm starting in RC racing, I know a fair bit about physics, mechanics, AND finance, so I don't do stupid stuff wit hmy car often.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 AM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Back to your origional question. . .
Keep the B4 or swap for a xx4 ???

Keep the B4 !!!

Plenty of parts available for a B4, not many for a xx4.

The xx4 is a great buggy and you could probably get around the track faster than with your B4... but its not worth swapping.

Keep driving and improving, then later down the track you can decide if you want to go another route.

Just make sure you set up the B4 to handle big jumps and rough stuff with proper weight balancing (lead weights) and work on your shock setups, springs, oil etc.
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #12
Tech Adept

almost all 4wd's break more than a B4. they are fragile cars.
way2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote