R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #76
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpoint View Post
Have both, Tekin and LRP. For mod I prefer LRP but for stock there is imo nothing that can beat Tekin.
Which LRP and Tekin are you running ?
ffactory666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #77
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LightningStruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4wires View Post
First off, What do you want to run for class? Stock or Mod?
Definitely Mod.. I'm just getting back into offroad from a couple year hiatus, and when I ran brushed motors I would usually use a 10x2 or so.. I'm one of those people that drive 1/4-3/4 throttle and leave full throttle for when I really need it, and can hook it up.. If that makes any sense... I like to have more motor than I really need, for those times that I do need it
LightningStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #78
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi, I am new to the brushless, getting back into rc after 3 years. Great thread BTY. I am looking at the Tekin, but can anyone please explain what the pros and cons are between the R1 Pro and the RS Pro. I will be running a 10.5 then something hotter than that.

Would the Tekin's need a fan for the hotter motors.

Would appreciate any answers to these basic questions.

Cheers
Geerno
geerno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #79
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LightningStruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerno View Post
Hi, I am new to the brushless, getting back into rc after 3 years. Great thread BTY. I am looking at the Tekin, but can anyone please explain what the pros and cons are between the R1 Pro and the RS Pro. I will be running a 10.5 then something hotter than that.

Would the Tekin's need a fan for the hotter motors.

Would appreciate any answers to these basic questions.

Cheers
Geerno
Go with the RS Pro... I'm in the same boat as you are, and didn't do as much research as I should have, and opted for the R1. The R1 is a sensorless only ESC where as the RS is both a sensored and sensorless. The RS will provide alittle bit more reliable starts and low speed control, while still allowing you to run any motor you'd like.
LightningStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStruck View Post
Definitely Mod.. I'm just getting back into offroad from a couple year hiatus, and when I ran brushed motors I would usually use a 10x2 or so.. I'm one of those people that drive 1/4-3/4 throttle and leave full throttle for when I really need it, and can hook it up.. If that makes any sense... I like to have more motor than I really need, for those times that I do need it
I was in the same boat but, I was out of R/C off-road for 10 years.
I started back a year ago with a Tekin speedster 410 brushed ESC and with a15X2 OLD mod motor in my buggy.
I moved the Tekin Speedster to my truck and bought a used Novak GTX.
The Tekin was easy to set up. the Novak got me by.
This Nov, I switched over to brushless. You work on the car and setups. Don't have to work on the motor or replace brushes.

I run 8.5 in my 2wd buggy and 7.5 in my stadium truck. Both have the Tekin RS pro's in them.

My wife races stock truck. she had a used Novak GTX also. I sold that ESC and bought her a Tekin RS pro also with 17.5
She can tell the difference.

Last edited by b4wires; 01-11-2009 at 06:24 PM.
b4wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStruck View Post
Go with the RS Pro... I'm in the same boat as you are, and didn't do as much research as I should have, and opted for the R1. The R1 is a sensorless only ESC where as the RS is both a sensored and sensorless. The RS will provide alittle bit more reliable starts and low speed control, while still allowing you to run any motor you'd like.
Thanks for the advice. Will pick up the RS.

Cheers
Geerno
geerno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #82
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerno View Post
Thanks for the advice. Will pick up the RS.

Cheers
Geerno
we also have a forum here: http://forum.teamtekin.com/phpbb3/ should you have any questions not answered here

I strongly suggest you check out the hotwire too, which will allow you to adjust many settings on the esc.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #83
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am having a problem with my tekin rs pro with a 13.5. seems to be a delay mostly on power? also the steering cut for like a 2 sec...May change out the receiver to see if that hlps. just wondering, how i could fix it, profile things to look for etc. thx for the hlp...
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #84
Tech Adept

I have an adult stupid question ... Can you mate any sensored brushless to the RS Pro? I'm bashing with a Novak Havok 8.5 / 2s Lipo 8000, 14/87 gear and after 20 minuets of hill shooting and jumping a cuple 5 foot mounds of sand runing sand paws the ESC . I wouldn't think with that gearing it should have done that... or am I asking to much from the ESC with that combonation and just need to add a fan?
RC nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #85
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

yodace: do you have a cap on the esc?

RC nut: is the gearmesh set right? any binding in the trans? also, try gearing up by a cupple teeth, the esc gets hot from runing at WOT all the time.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #86
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
yodace: do you have a cap on the esc?

RC nut: is the gearmesh set right? any binding in the trans? also, try gearing up by a cupple teeth, the esc gets hot from runing at WOT all the time.
This is pretty much a new truck and the gear mesh is dead on, there is no binding in the driveline at all. Everything is nice and smoth and the truck only has a few runs on it. The Havok is brand new and was bought as a prewired combo. I was running pretty hard for 15 of the 20. So maybe a cooling fan is in order? It's ether that or I'm going to go Tekin RS Pro hence the orignal question. Though I'de rather just have to spend a few bucks on a fan than have to buy a new ESC.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #87
Tech Champion

try going up a few teeth, I read somewere that brushless escs heat up when there geared too low, and the motor heats up when its too high.
if nothing else, its worth a try

is the timing advanced on the motor up??
Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #88
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
try going up a few teeth, I read somewere that brushless escs heat up when there geared too low, and the motor heats up when its too high.
if nothing else, its worth a try

is the timing advanced on the motor up??
Easy enough I will give it a shot. If it's one thing I have an abundance of it's pinions. I am unaware of any timing adjustments on the Novak Havok I didn't see anything in the manuel about it. I may spend the $14 and grab a fan wile i'm at it. I broke a front arm so I ran to RPM for thoes. I can't do to much untill parts arive so it's back to the drifter. Thanks for the tip on the gearing, Any other thoughts?

Last edited by RC nut; 01-12-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: content
Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #89
Tech Champion

bigger caps also help with heat.

the havoks timeing adjustment is the orngish ring on the back, loosen the 3 screws and it should move freely
Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #90
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess I'm not really familiar with the Havok but I know capacitors are supposed to help keep temps down. Maybe try running one if you're not already?? Also, see if there's any way to get better airflow across the esc.

Initially I would have said make sure the drivetrain is clean and smooth but I see that's already been covered.