R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI SCOTT View Post
RB5 thats a sweet facility you guys have there. I would love to try it out looks to be great fun. Reminds me of FTR "our indoor track". Good Job on that layout
Where you guys located?
It's on long island, New york. www.raceway.com the website hasn't been touched in years but the racing is awesome here.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

technical tracks are fun!! they will help you improve your driving abilities over time
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

To all that this thread offended ,I am sorry , that was not my intentions at all.nor was it my intention to promote either example that were given.My intentions were to possibly open some opprotunities to newb/ intermediate racers in our area.Alot of us that race tend to forget that we dont even make up 10% of the people involved in this hobby.And that alot of the people who dont race can get very easily intimidated and driven away from the race scene all together by 1 bad track experience.My second reason was that where I live we have no local track.Everything is a drive to go race. For that reason I have been thinking about opening a local club here that I do want to grow into a fun family oriented race environment. I actually am just a scoring system away from being able to do just that come spring, so many of the opinions and ideas that I was hoping to collect were to confirm my ideas on what would make a successfull club track.

Like i said, to anybody I offended, I am sorry.To the rest of you thanks for your thoughts, criticisms, and ideas.That is what I started this thread for, to try and bring the other 90% involved in this hobby to the track and show them it can be good , clean fun.Which is what I am in it for.Doesnt matter to me whether it's dirt, or carpet , or mini-z's, if your racing them it is nothing but fun.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
by the way here are 2 nice pics of the layout in question ......10' lanes ...tell me how this could possibly be considered "too technical" what a joke... and you have been racing 20 years really....surley you have seen a harder layout... maybe you should try oval racing
That looks pretty simple. Just straight lines with some jumps in the middle.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #65
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Sure hope that no one is scared away from coming out to FTR for great racing, practicing, or just playing around. Actually the track is quite popular with the non racers on the open days. And they run novice classes whenever possible, no one is turned away, even if you donít have quite the right equipment.

And yes, the competition is simply incredible, not just a state level thing here, but itís also a great group of guys, and a few ladies too. Donít believe I have ever seen a problem with asking anyone what gearing, motor, shock setup, etc they are running. Hard feelings over marshalling is virtually unheard of. Despite the high level of competition itís kept in perspective.

The track changes frequently, right now itís a little easier than some, with very good flow. What isnít always noticed is the effort that goes into the downsides of the jumps, and making stock doubles/mod triples and such. Sure the layouts tend to challenge you, but once you get it down you can cruise right around.

In any event, Cheers to all
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rdub202

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
...... For that reason I have been thinking about opening a local club here that I do want to grow into a fun family oriented race environment. I actually am just a scoring system away from being able to do just that come spring, so many of the opinions and ideas that I was hoping to collect were to confirm my ideas on what would make a successfull club track...
i think that is where your mindset is, and therein lies the "problem".

i dont see FTR as a "local club track." FTR is "Raceway," it is a racetrack. washtenaw gives me the club vibe.
_|MRC/Team Academy_|_www.modelrec.com|_
rdub202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

One thing you see is not really lazyiness, although some will call it that but exhaustion. You might have a jump or a section intended for one thing and some bozo goes out and motors it and now everyone has to, to be fast, and everyone is mad. I think sometimes a track needs some fine tuning, or even some modifications along with maintenance.

You have heard it before "the track is the same for everyone" but if it sucks, then it sucks for everyone.

Best advice, help your local track, the more hands helping, the better it will be.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Two rules in buggy track layout...

1. It should be driveable by an absolute beginner with basic equipment.

2. There should be at least one start/finish straight without obstacles.

Common misperception is that a track needs to be difficult to be challenging for the best drivers. Actually that is competely untrue. Good track layouts are driveable by everyone but still let the best drivers shine. Little tricks like jumps that reward throttle control instead of raw power, and chicanes that have a very fast line for the tidiest drivers, but can be very slow for people that miss the apex.

PS a third rule - sadly not always as obvious to designers as it should be - the track should not be a bona-fide car-breaker. Big air may look like fun but swiftly becomes less fun when half the field are breaking parts, a rutted, bumpy surface that puts cars on the lid for no reason doesn't help either.

+1

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
PS a third rule - sadly not always as obvious to designers as it should be - the track should not be a bona-fide car-breaker. Big air may look like fun but swiftly becomes less fun when half the field are breaking parts, a rutted, bumpy surface that puts cars on the lid for no reason doesn't help either.
+2 on this one. SoCal Raceway was notorious for this. Their layout seems to be car busters! (Or is it the driver? Hmmm....)
Old 11-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
That looks pretty simple. Just straight lines with some jumps in the middle.
the track was more than that. they were big jumps, timing was everything to a fast lap. That was probably one of the most fun layouts i ran in a long time.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #70
Tech Apprentice

do any of you non michigan residents intend to come to ftr for the turkey trophy race
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
do any of you non michigan residents intend to come to ftr for the turkey trophy race

Does Ohio count?
sb7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #72
Tech Apprentice

not to be sarcastic but ohio isnt in michigan so yes it counts...lol look forward to seeing ya there.....

p.s brings some guys that are faster than horne
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #73
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb7979 View Post
Does Ohio count?
Actually, historically speaking, Toledo doesn't! And the Upper Peninsula used to be part of Wisconsin. You are still welcome to come though.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

man i would love to be able to race on some of the tracks posted on here. Racing ele is all about being smooth and mot making mistakes. If you cant make that certain double then dont try it untill you feel comfortable with making it consistantly.

this past weekend i raced my b44 for the 1st time and there was a tripple in the back and a double in the front that you can make, however threw qualifing i did not tripple or do the double and i was still tq by 14 seconds. In the main i did the double 3 times to gain some extra time when needed after a mistake. point is that you dont always have to jump everything. just be smooth and consistant with no mistakes and you will finish better than someone who tries the jump every lap and has to be marshalled 50% of them.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #75
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I love the tracks being technical, because for me it makes me want to be a better driver so I can compete with the fast guys. FTR is a great place to learn to be fast because of the tracks and the competition.