R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

RB Five , the track at LIR looks far more simple that the place I am refering to.LIR looks to at least have straights long enought o open up a stock buggy on,The track in question does not. Think like a supercross style trick track and you will be in the ball park.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
I like hard tracks, it seperates the men from the boys. When i first started i always tried to practice good habits and have since learned to love new obstacles and types of layouts. It's amazing to me how much faster this year i can learn a new layout compared to last.

When you travel to alot of different tracks you meet new challenges and in the end racing on that technical layout would only breed great racers.

why cater to the quitters.

what do you think of this ?
Very nice track indeed.

I understand enjoying a challenge, but the "why cater to the quitters." mentality is IMHO one of the things this hobby can do without. It's been said only 2% of hobbyists actually race. Why? I believe most of the other 98% may feel intimidated by these tracks. I've actually heard ppl say "Oh, I've never been on a race track, I'm not good enough". It's about having fun. Making laps is fun. If you show some noob how to make laps, they'll end up having fun, and won't end up a quitter.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
Very nice track indeed.

I understand enjoying a challenge, but the "why cater to the quitters." mentality is IMHO one of the things this hobby can do without. It's been said only 2% of hobbyists actually race. Why? I believe most of the other 98% may feel intimidated by these tracks. I've actually heard ppl say "Oh, I've never been on a race track, I'm not good enough". It's about having fun. Making laps is fun. If you show some noob how to make laps, they'll end up having fun, and won't end up a quitter.
+++1

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll tell you what I think about that track:

It's BadA$$...It has a straight away, steep jumps w/ BIG downsides, requires finesse, and looks like you could just get in the groove and flow around it very well- Nice layout!

Quote:
I like hard tracks, it seperates the men from the boys. When i first started i always tried to practice good habits and have since learned to love new obstacles and types of layouts. It's amazing to me how much faster this year i can learn a new layout compared to last.

When you travel to alot of different tracks you meet new challenges and in the end racing on that technical layout would only breed great racers.

why cater to the quitters.

what do you think of this ?

Hot Bodies Racing www.hotbodiesonline.com
Tekin www.teamtekin.com
Team Checkpoint
ms3 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

I think it's a tough job balancing the needs of novice vs experienced racers and 1/8th scale nitro versus stock 1/10th electric truck. I'm not beginner. I love a track with some challenging technical elements, but I tend to have more run racing other cars closely on a flowing track than I do racing a track that seems like obstacle after obstacle. Perhaps it's because I have a better chance to keep up with the racers that are a little bit better than me.

I think an easier track (that is still challenging and fun) does more to build attendance than a crazy hard track (and is easier on parts). Though I also think tracks should generally progress in difficulty as the season goes on.

CRCRC club administrator
Kyosho RB6, Kyosho ZX6, Kyosho SC6, Kyosho MP9e TKI
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

2wdmod

im not sure why you needed to go on here and start a thread to slam one of the best tracks in the midwest..it seems maybe you struggle with harder tracks..

.ive raced both indoor facilities in michigan..one is striclty electric ,draws huge attendance and caters to the novice racer to semi fast driver.and races twice a month.the other indoor track runs both nitro and electric races 3 days a week...plus practice on off days..

.the layout you refer too has been changed..however the last layout was not technical as you stated ..it was quite easy actually..if timing is an issue you have, you need to work on it..

as our rc cars evolve and develop so should the tracks..this has happened in many other sports such as supercross and bmx..both these sports have seen there obstacles go extreme over the years..technical is good if you want to excell in racing..no one ever wins a race simply by punching it.i like a track that challenges me ..i like a track that no matter how much i drive it i still have to hunt for 10nth of a second here and a 10nth of a second there.

also you have no right to say attnendance is low at this track either..are you there for nitro day or electric on saturday or 19t on wed...attendance just seems low because it is split into three days..yes numbers are down but i think the current michigan economic situation has more to do with it than some technical layout you struggle with...

in closing id say track b sounds more like your type of racing...good luck and have fun...

ps.. the track in the pics above are track b not track a.....
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

by the way here are 2 nice pics of the layout in question ......10' lanes ...tell me how this could possibly be considered "too technical" what a joke... and you have been racing 20 years really....surley you have seen a harder layout... maybe you should try oval racing
Attached Thumbnails
What is TOO TECHNICAL for an off road track??-ftr-layout.jpg   What is TOO TECHNICAL for an off road track??-ftr-layout-2.jpg  
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #38
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Pics can be decieving but from what I can see that doesn't look like much....
Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
by the way here are 2 nice pics of the layout in question ......10' lanes ...tell me how this could possibly be considered "too technical" what a joke... and you have been racing 20 years really....surley you have seen a harder layout... maybe you should try oval racing
that looks pretty dialed to me as well! I have wanted to run some of the bigger races that seem to come through there, but I havent made it. Maybe in the next year I will. Looks like a fun track

Hot Bodies Racing www.hotbodiesonline.com
Tekin www.teamtekin.com
Team Checkpoint
ms3 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Tony that track is sick !

It does seem to have alot of small rolling or jumping doubles but thats a nice track. Be grateful you got a wicked training ground like that. Looks well maintained. What tire you running there ?

Yo chris thanks for the good words about lir. Can be tricky on that layout cause a boo boo is like domino effect for the lap.

anyway the way i see it is most likely the people volunteering to build the layout are usually the hardcore bunch. Thats how it is in our neck.

Switch it up next layout and do a highspeed flowing one. Those can be the trickiest to set-up for with the never ending search for more on power steering.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

http://www.7citiesrcraceway.com/page...C-Raceway.aspx

Here's the link to my local dirt track. There is no hobby shop on site and it was definitely built to cater to the 1/8 scale guys. However, it was built by a local hobbyist on his property and so I won't complain. I would like for it to be a little easier on my B44 but it is a blast to drive around. I wish we had a local track that was smaller and more suitable to 1/10 electric but I'm not going to complain about having a track this nice within 10 miles of my house. I agree the track should not be designed to intimidate people or make it impossible to get around clean, but the tracks in both pictures above sure look alot easier on plastic arms. If the owner doesn't want to change his layout for you (assuming that you are speaking for a majority) then go to track B. Just make sure that your reasons for changing the layout are not for your own selfish benefit. If the majority enjoy the layout, leave it alone. It won't last forever.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Last edited by 2wdMod; 11-16-2008 at 06:17 PM.
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jube View Post
Pics can be decieving but from what I can see that doesn't look like much....
It may be a bit deceiving. The builders do their best to create a fun track for everyone to run, But... a track you need throttle control and line selection to be fast. Very fun

Quote:
Tony that track is sick !

What tire you running there ?

anyway the way i see it is most likely the people volunteering to build the layout are usually the hardcore bunch. Thats how it is in our neck.
Losi Pink tapers are the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
Hey tony, If you READ my first post I am not slamming on any body! That's the main reason no names were used.This has to do with a discussion that I was having with the owner about a certain crowd attending, not my personal prefferences.I am sorry if it upset you, but it has to do with nothing other than collecting some information to present the track owner to make him understand that you CAN draw both levels of crowds to the same venues, if he wants to.Nothing more man.As for the economic situation, our series drew larger #'s this year than it did the last 3 years, other tracks in the area are thriving like mad,and are already drawing large #'s for nothing more than club races.
Come on out... If you need any help please ask around.
I'm no where near as fast as i would like to be. I'm always asking questions.
Talking to the faster guys about line selection, setup, gearing, whatever will only make you faster.
I don't think the owner is trying to get rid of the novice guys. just trying to make a great track for the racers.
anyway no harm no foul
lets go have some fun this Wednesday night
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #44
Tech Apprentice

yes pink tapers are best...

2wdmod

you dont need to mention names to be slamming anyone..the bottom ine is alot of people know the track and a name is not needed ...besides washtenaw what track draws big numbers here in michigan? id like to know cuz id like to attend.....you are entitled to your opinion and i wasnt trying to pick on ya but rather im deffending my favorite track ....
Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Doesn't look bad at all to me. I guess everyone has different assessments of what is easy and what is hard.

...of course I didn't really know what track he was talking about until the pics were posted.

CRCRC club administrator
Kyosho RB6, Kyosho ZX6, Kyosho SC6, Kyosho MP9e TKI
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote