R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   is there a better brushless motor to use with the CC mamba max? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/252680-there-better-brushless-motor-use-cc-mamba-max.html)

whitrzac 11-09-2008 02:20 PM

is there a better brushless motor to use with the CC mamba max?

the front bearing on my 3rd 5700 is starting to go out on me, is there a better motor to use? I would like to buy used one off of here for around $40-$60 but IDK witch one is better.

please don't recomend novaks, I'v tryed 2 of them and they both cog with the MM esc for some reson:weird::confused:

Mister-T 11-09-2008 04:51 PM

Try Tekin Redline sensorless motors, rebuildable and based on pretty much the same design as CC motors. It worked well for me.

DrKnow65 11-09-2008 05:38 PM

Be a good idea to post your car and current system up...

Assuming you are running 2S lipo's with the 5700 you already have and the car is not excessivley fast or running too hot, I would recomend staying with the CC motor. If you find the car is too fast for the track size you are running on a motor more in the 4000-4600 KV range (fiegao S can) may be appropriate...

Current system would be helpful info.

wyd 11-09-2008 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by whitrzac (Post 5032107)
the front bearing on my 3rd 5700 is starting to go out on me, is there a better motor to use? I would like to buy used one off of here for around $40-$60 but IDK witch one is better.

please don't recomend novaks, I'v tryed 2 of them and they both cog with the MM esc for some reson:weird::confused:

That seems strange because the bearings they use are rated very high. I have ran the same motor for 13 months every weekend in offroad and no bearing issues.:weird:

I know bearings can go bad but in 24 plus years I have seen very few motor bearing failures in any brushed or brushless motor and they where always bearing that where sprayed with motor spray and reoiled.

I had a motor company owner tell me one time that if you never spray out a motor bearing and leave them with the factory greas in them it would almost never go bad.

What are you running it in?

whitrzac 11-09-2008 05:48 PM

its a slash with 56/11 gearing, 2s lipo. my motor maxed at 150 after runing it for 60min strait:D, but dirt/carpet/foam crap got in the bearing:deathstar

its a very tight carpet track, that has no strait at all, the longest strait is the tabletop:lol:

I don't need any more power than the 5700, I just need better quality.

DrKnow65 11-09-2008 05:54 PM

The CC motors arn't that bad... You could go up to a Feigao but the quality isn't realy a huge step up. If you want a really nice motor go with a Neu or a Hacker, if the sticker shock doesn't phase you.

Small track with no strait sais a lower KV to me. More torque, less heat, longer batt life. Also you look good on gearing but you may want to gear down a bit more, the brushless motors make huge torque that you won't see with too tall of a gear.

wyd 11-09-2008 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by whitrzac (Post 5032780)
its a slash with 56/11 gearing, 2s lipo. my motor maxed at 150 after runing it for 60min strait:D, but dirt/carpet/foam crap got in the bearing:deathstar

its a very tight carpet track, that has no strait at all, the longest strait is the tabletop:lol:

If you do alot of landing on the rear of the truck and the motor would move and get jammed in the spur gear could cause this. Since you said about dirt the rear bearing should be ok since the deal covers the rear bearing and the front with the gear cover on should keep out most of the other dirt. I would take the cover off after a long run and clean out the loose dirt in the cover and dust off with a paint brush the gears and other dust that might be getting on the motor mount area and gears.

Dirt in bearings no matter what brand motor is going to a bad deal and cause you issues sooner or later.

whitrzac 11-09-2008 06:08 PM

well I ordered 3 new bearings, $20 total:eek:

they need to redesinge the can so you can get it open without a heatgun and a vice:flaming:

don74 11-09-2008 10:53 PM

Verify 56T Spur Gear !

Originally Posted by whitrzac (Post 5032780)

A Slash with a 56T spur? My Slash came with a 86T spur, Traxxas only lists a 83T and 90T as optional.

If the spur is really 86 instead of 56 then your 11T pinion is too small for the 5700 and it could be overheating the motor, motor bearings, etc., change to a 14T or 15T pinion. Kindly note that part-throttle operation generates more heat than full-throttle operation in a MM/5700 bl system.

It helps to minimize debris entry to the bearings by covering the motor can shaft opening with tape and still leave room for the shaft to turn freely

I run 86/15 gearing (stock is 86/18 on the 12 turn 550 motor) on MM/5700 on 2s and it runs relatively cool. It has more acceleration and top speed than I or the car can handle.

Hope this helps.

whitrzac 11-10-2008 05:13 AM

nope, i run 32p gears(jato spur), I went through 5 stock spurs before I upgraded, never looked back:D

kufman 11-10-2008 05:22 AM

No matter what motor you use you have to keep carpet out of the bearings. If you have to check it after every run then you have to do it. Also, landing on the rear end of a truck with a plastic motor mount is going to cause problems no matter what. This is probably why you had trouble with the stock gears. The plastic motor mount just can't keep it's shape with brushless power. Someday Traxxas will wake up and make a real metal motor plate.

whitrzac 11-10-2008 10:06 AM

so what motor is recomended? the CC motor is nearly imposable to get open to clean the bearings.

kufman 11-10-2008 10:17 AM

Tekin Redline Sensorless, probably the 358 would be similar to the Mamba 5700.

Mister-T 11-10-2008 10:22 AM

Tekin motors are easily rebuildable

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...4&postcount=10

spcpicard 11-10-2008 10:36 AM

I have had 3 CC motors with bad front bearing, along with a friend of mine who had 2, I had a 7700 and 2- 5700 and my friend had a 2 4600s. I purchased a Lehner basic motor and never had a problem since. I would definitely look at picking up a Traxxas velineon motor and just gear it up to the same speed. The velineon's are about the same price and even less on ebay, and they are rebuildable. I've never seen anyone at our local track have problems with the traxxas one, but I know of 9 Mamba motors to go bad, mostly bearings.