Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8th Scale Electric Buggy National Championship Race? >

1/8th Scale Electric Buggy National Championship Race?

1/8th Scale Electric Buggy National Championship Race?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Default 1/8th Scale Electric Buggy National Championship Race?

Just wanted to see if there is any interest in this race as an exhibition race in conjunction with the RC Pro Series in November in Texas???

Interest in the event and opinions?

Length of race?
20 minutes?
30 minutes?
Longer?

Additional rules or keep it simple to wheels and chassis rules only?

Any sponsorship interest?

Who wants to race in the first 1/8th scale electric buggy national championship race???
Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

ME ME ME DENNIS ALLISON will be there
Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would go to race it...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It would need to be 15min.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
Just wanted to see if there is any interest in this race as an exhibition race in conjunction with the RC Pro Series in November in Texas???

Interest in the event and opinions?

Length of race?
20 minutes?
30 minutes?
Longer?

Additional rules or keep it simple to wheels and chassis rules only?

Any sponsorship interest?

Who wants to race in the first 1/8th scale electric buggy national championship race???

10 minute qualifiers, 15 minute main. 2-6 cell lipo. Run what you brung.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

whats up with all this 15 minute mains crap.20 minute mains!You guys cant do 20 minutes?My car can.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

That did not take long!

Come on guys! This is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RACE and needs to be at least 20 minutes!

Even the electric guys racing in 1/10th scale Gas/Electric Truck and the Production Monster Truck are racing in 45 minute mains!!!

It needs to be special and more than a club race....It's the First Electric 1/8th Scale Buggy National Championship Race anywhere and needs to be showcased to the country as what the class is capable of becoming!

Electric 1/8th scale is set to get big and this race could be huge start.

Look what the Li-po Brushless Exhibition Race last year at the ROAR Nats with a 20 minute main did for li-pos and longer races this year!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just make it 30-45 minutes mains and 5-10 minutes qualifying. You could also add a exhibition race that will showcase higher voltage set up if they are available at the time. Hopefully Castle, Tekin and other companies will have controllers available that will let users run up to 12S lipos.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

whats wrong with a 30-45 min main 4s 5000 or 6000 mah with mandatory 1 or2 battery pit stop. Everyone would have to do this and it would most likely ensure a certain amount of safety and not have people over discharging batteries. not that I am worried about a lipo fire but being safe is better than being stupid.

The idea is great. However some real thought needs to go into this so we have a basis for establishing a future class with rules.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

20 min sounds good to me
Old 06-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

30 minute main with a mandatory battery swap.

More than one battery swap may be more complicated and expensive than it should be. Anyone should be able to do 15 min per pack easy, and one pack change isn't too much to ask.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lutach
Just make it 30-45 minutes mains and 5-10 minutes qualifying. You could also add a exhibition race that will showcase higher voltage set up if they are available at the time. Hopefully Castle, Tekin and other companies will have controllers available that will let users run up to 12S lipos.
I think any battery and any motor rules keep it real simple and no need to ruin things by adding more classes and more rules!!!

Want to run 5S, 6S or 7S, run it! Want to use 12,000 mahs, run it! Want to do battery swaps, do it! The rules need to be simple with the basic buggy size, weight and tire rules the nitros have!!!

Use all the battery voltage you want! You still have to hook it up and be able to drive it! Make all the battery swaps you want because they're will be no mandatory pit stops either...let's try not to over complicate a simple class that we want to attract others too with long non-stop no pit man racing!!!

20 minutes looks like the popular choice so far that also has my vote that can made easy without battery swaps with a 4S 8,000+ mah li-po confiquration.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

I think any battery and any motor rules keep it real simple and no need to ruin things by adding more classes and more rules!!!

Want to run 5S, 6S or 7S, run it! Want to use 12,000 mahs, run it! Want to do battery swaps, do it! The rules need to be simple with the basic buggy size, weight and tire rules the nitros have!!!

Use all the battery voltage you want! You still have to hook it up and be able to drive it! Make all the battery swaps you want because they're will be no mandatory pit stops either...let's try not to over complicate a simple class that we want to attract others too with long non-stop no pit man racing!!!

20 minutes looks like the popular choice so far that also has my vote that can made easy without battery swaps with a 4S 8,000+ mah li-po confiquration.

If you want to be serious, GD is correct about the 15 minute for a safe run on a decent battery pack. 4s 8000 is huge and not very forgiven on balancing with the vehicle.

There are fast guys that can do 25 minutes with batteries that fit well on small tracks and with the same setup can't do 20 minutes on a large track.

I know what Dennis does with gearing and 8000 packs on a REVO and HV Max, but it has no correlation with a competitive 1/8th scale buggy. Going over the 7500 posts on the 1/8th conversion thread about what has been working and not working, as well as, what is practical has the precedence collected already.

Thanks for starting the conversation about the race and the exposure is getting bigger almost daily.

There are even cartoons in the RC Car magazines now about the conversions. (Positive Cartoons)
Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Suspended

That did not take long!

Come on guys! This is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RACE and needs to be at least 20 minutes!

Even the electric guys racing in 1/10th scale Gas/Electric Truck and the Production Monster Truck are racing in 45 minute mains!!!

It needs to be special and more than a club race....It's the First Electric 1/8th Scale Buggy National Championship Race anywhere and needs to be showcased to the country as what the class is capable of becoming!

Electric 1/8th scale is set to get big and this race could be huge start.

Look what the Li-po Brushless Exhibition Race last year at the ROAR Nats with a 20 minute main did for li-pos and longer races this year!!!
There are no electric classes that run 45 minutes.

I think one issue that needs addressing is that running electric should be a matter of saving equipment, and money, and not a battle of survival like WAY too many nitro events turn into.

15 to 20 minutes MAX is plenty
Old 06-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I would be in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.